Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-03-2012, 12:28   #31
beco2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeney92 View Post
Oh please God make it stop!!
I found that post ridiculously hard to read.
Please use fulls stops and commas!!
Ok teacher!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-03-2012, 13:40   #32
cruasder777

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS119 View Post
whoever says that is a liar, and whoever believes it is a moron.

the UK has two 'spearhead' formations - 16AA Bde and 3Cdo Bde - which, on the whole, are the first units to be deployed to any particular conflict. 1RI is a constituant part of 16X, but its the 'roundout' unit, not one of the parachute Bn's - its job is to fight, but its not intended to be the first unit of the Bde into action. its soldiers don't do P Coy, don't do the BPC, and aren't recruited or trained in the same way as the Parachute Regiment Bn's.

i'm fairly sure that the BA hasn't used an Irish unit as the spearhead force since WW2 - of course all of the units involved in combat operations do so publicly, all of this stuff - which units did what - is publicly available, so i'm amazed that there's anyone stupid enough to actually believe the kind of crap that some - no doubt poltically motivated - come out with.

unless of course this is the same kind of idiocy which says that the BA has formed units of orphans and the friendless who's deaths/maimings can be denied because no one asks about them...?

The Irish Guards battlegroup were the Spearhead force in Iraq, first into Basra also first into Kosovos capital Pristina.

In mechanised infantry campaigns with no infantry air assault component, mechanised infantry are often first in to towns and cities, as with Basra.

If needed the Paras role in such operations is to seize the airports and high ground, which was their role in Kosovo.

Last edited by cruasder777; 08-03-2012 at 18:20. Reason: sp
08-03-2012, 15:41   #33
full_irish

Quote:
Oh please God make it stop!!
I found that post ridiculously hard to read.
Please use fulls stops and commas!!
and not to be a grammar Nazi but 'untrue' is one fecking word, not 'un true'. Is it a requirement to be literate in the BA??
08-03-2012, 16:47   #34
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

People, I'm sorry to be pedantic and OT, but please stop referring to the Republic of Ireland as Southern Ireland!
08-03-2012, 22:17   #35
beco2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_irish View Post
and not to be a grammar Nazi but 'untrue' is one fecking word, not 'un true'. Is it a requirement to be literate in the BA??
Is it a bit much to be claiming im illiterate.
Grammar police thank you
Advertisement
09-03-2012, 12:40   #36
full_irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by beco2010 View Post
Is it a bit much to be claiming im illiterate.
Grammar police thank you
Yes, you are correct Sir. But I say it only with love and affection, so it's graaand.
Thanks from:
09-03-2012, 15:19   #37
xflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deccurley View Post
People, I'm sorry to be pedantic and OT, but please stop referring to the Republic of Ireland as Southern Ireland!
Sorry to be pedantic but stop referring to the Republic of Ireland. It's just Ireland. And for Gawd's sake don't say Eire or even Éire.
09-03-2012, 16:36   #38
full_irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by xflyer View Post
Sorry to be pedantic but stop referring to the Republic of Ireland. It's just Ireland. And for Gawd's sake don't say Eire or even Éire.
For the purpose of this discussion there is a need to distinguish between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

'Ireland' per se is not a country. It is a geographical term to describe the island on which both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are situated.
09-03-2012, 16:44   #39
krissovo

I am ex BA Royal Engineers, left the forces as a Captain after 15 years. Went through the ranks from Pte (sapper) to SGT in 10 years then did a late entry into Sandhurst where I made Captain.

Joined at 16 because I could and always wanted to be soldier for as long as I can remember, I wanted the adventure the Irish DF could not provide by wanting to go into battle and also naively wanted to drive tanks

The Falklands War was a serious influence as I must have watched every footage and collected the magazine series that ran soon after. I knew every battle in detail and I must have been around 12 at the time.
Advertisement
09-03-2012, 16:46   #40
full_irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissovo View Post
I am ex BA Royal Engineers, left the forces as a Captain after 15 years. Went through the ranks from Pte (sapper) to SGT in 10 years then did a late entry into Sandhurst where I made Captain.
That's some good going. Definitely wouldn't be getting through the promotions at that rate in the DF.
09-03-2012, 18:07   #41
IrishFeeney92

Quote:
Originally Posted by deccurley View Post
Im pretty sure its refered to as southern Ireland because, the person who asks the question wants to find out how many people from the Republic are in the BA rather than those from north who consider themselves Irish
09-03-2012, 21:27   #42
full_irish

Quote:
Im pretty sure its refered to as southern Ireland because, the person who asks the question wants to find out how many people from the Republic are in the BA rather than those from north who consider themselves Irish
Christ this happens in every damn thread. I thought I had avoided this by clarifying in OP.
09-03-2012, 21:36   #43
full_irish

And for the record everyone from the island of Ireland are Irish.

Quote:
Ireland, the island in northwestern Europe, and the countries located on it:
Republic of Ireland (also Éire, when writing in Irish), a sovereign state that comprises most of the island, legally described as the Republic of Ireland
Northern Ireland, a constituent country of the United Kingdom that comprises the north-eastern sixth of the island
when you have to quote wiki to show things to people.
09-03-2012, 21:58   #44
BlastedGlute

The Irish make the best soldiers in the world, when fighting for someone else.

I was QRL for a while going back in as QRH soon, getting paid to stay fit should have been a no brainer the first time. Making a concerted effort to grizz it out for the required time until I can be considered for the photographers course but that'll be many years down the line.
09-03-2012, 22:06   #45
Turbine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_irish View Post
'Ireland' per se is not a country. It is a geographical term to describe the island on which both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are situated.
Read the constitution, it says very clearly that the name of this state is Ireland in English or Éire in Irish.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion