Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-03-2012, 10:40   #1
Oldtree

Early bud burst

Its been a mad rush in the last couple of days to get my 100+ poplars planted as they have started to bud burst. Is it my imagination or is that a bit early this year due to the mild weather. I always had it in my mind to have plants planted by the end of february as they grow roots from then on, but I dont remember having this problem before.

Willows are in full flower which makes cuttings for next years plants difficult. Alder/hawthorn buds really beginning to swell too.
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 16:16   #2
blue5000

Ya oldtree, noticed a few green bits on hawthorn at the weekend, before the frost, reckon they're 2-3 weeks earlier than other years.
13-03-2012, 21:22   #3
Wild Bill
Banned

Earliest sycamore I've seen; some shaded saplings nearby burst bud just after the 1st March!
13-03-2012, 21:30   #4
Wild Bill
Banned

Here are some that bursted earlier.....
Thanks from:
14-03-2012, 10:09   #5
Oldtree

Pesky non-natives doing aful damage to the native flora.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-03-2012, 15:18   #6
blue5000

Noticed plum tree in flower yesterday, is this v early?
14-03-2012, 20:27   #7
Wild Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue5000 View Post
Noticed plum tree in flower yesterday, is this v early?
Not at all. The flowering of the plum seems to be entirely controlled by light rather than temperature or other environmental conditions; this tree is always in full flower circa one week after St Patrick's Day - regardless of the weather.

This was taken on the 11th as the first flowers appeared.

14-03-2012, 20:28   #8
Wild Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtree View Post
Pesky non-natives doing aful damage to the native flora.
The Sycamore is here over 1,000 years! What makes a "native"
15-03-2012, 10:27   #9
Oldtree

"Our native trees are the trees that reached here before we were separated from the rest of Europe. Our most common native trees include oak, ash, hazel, birch, Scots pine, rowan and willow. Eventually, people brought other trees, such as beech, sycamore, horse chestnut, spruce, larch and fir to Ireland."

http://www.treecouncil.ie/irishtrees/irishtrees.html

Sycamore just a young blow in.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2012, 19:10   #10
Wild Bill
Banned

Quote:
"Our native people are the people that reached here before we were invaded by the Normans. Our most common native people include Murphys, Hogans, O'Briens, O'Sullivans. Eventually, other non-native people , such as Fitzgeralds, Smiths, Xin and Schusters made it to Ireland."

Hmmmm.

That would be xenophobic racism - why discriminate against 1,000 year-here plants?
Thanks from:
15-03-2012, 19:19   #11
Wild Bill
Banned

Here is a native horse chestnut bud bursting in Sandyford Ireland this very morning
15-03-2012, 19:46   #12
Oldtree

I would suppose that you wood welcome japanese knotweed into your garden then??? Do not get me wrong I know a sycamore and have nothing personal against it!!!

The definition is there for a purpose and native would mean that the "native plants" have evolved togeather over time to co-exist. The definition of a weed is simply a plant in the wrong place, and in a managed landscape sycamore can be as such.

I am lucky enough to have a semi natural/ancient woodland which I am in the process of restoring to a ash/hazel woodland, native if you will. I spent many years studying the area before I decided what to do. There are mature sycamore of the woodland edge and I will not be touching them (I have learned to live with them). As you will know sycamore is a prolific seeder, (my wood floor is littered with them at the moment) seedlings open up large leaves earlier blocking the light for the native flora and thus leads to their demise, whereas ash opens much later leading to a happy native union. In addition sycamore seedlings and trees prevent the germination of ash seeds. I am removing the sycamore within the woodland but allowing them to regrow as coppice, hopefully they will not set seed in that time (remains to be seen). I felled 6 or so tall thin mature sycamore about 4 years ago and the number of native local provenance ash that came up in the clearing was gratifying.

1000 years is not that long in the life of trees, take an oak for example, 300 years to grow, 300 years to mature and 300 years to die. It is well known that it takes at least 3 generations to breed out inherrant xenophobic racism, so only another 2000 years to go.
15-03-2012, 20:23   #13
Wild Bill
Banned

Quote:
(I have learned to live with them)
That's nice - seeing as they are here 1,000 years longer than you!

Frankly the period between the retreat of the glaciers and the disappearance of the land-bridge was so short on an evolutionary scale it was worthless in terms of species formation and bio-diversity.

It left a biodiversity-impoverished "native" population of flora and fauna of no more value than if I cut off a sand island from the North Bull and declared it an "important" ecosystem after a single year - with "native" and "introduced" species determined by what was present the day I cut it off.

The whole concept is bunkum. Japanese bindweed is not like species that are natives to the UK and Europe that would have easily naturalized here has the land-bridge remained in place.

The notion that Beech and Sycamore are "not natives" is 24-carat bunkum perpetrated by some crazed preservationist fetishists.

A native pear tree this morning...........

Last edited by Wild Bill; 15-03-2012 at 20:26.
15-03-2012, 20:36   #14
Wild Bill
Banned

Hearing you mentioning local races of ash being favoured over other ash I can't help wondering if, for reasons of preserving "native" ecosystems, this East European female homo sapiens blow-in should be cut out in favour of "native" strains?

Personally, I'd I couldn't care less she didn't make it before the land-bridge was submerged
16-03-2012, 11:54   #15
Oldtree

Thats a deeply sexist thing to post Wild "Butch" Bill!

Looky here for 24-carat bunkum perpetrated by some crazed preservationist fetishists with minds greater than yours or mine:

NATIONAL BOTANIC GARDENS of IRELAND
http://www.botanicgardens.ie/home.htm

ORIGINS OF THE IRISH FLORA
http://www.botanicgardens.ie/herb/census/flora.htm

SPECIES LISTS
http://www.botanicgardens.ie/herb/census/lists.htm

Endangered plants in Ireland
http://www.botanicgardens.ie/herb/census/threatnd.htm

Invasive Alien Species
http://www.botanicgardens.ie/gspc/ta...nspc10home.htm

from A CATALOGUE OF ALIEN PLANTS IN IRELAND

http://www.botanicgardens.ie/glasra/aliens.htm

A. pseudoplatanus L. Sycamore
One of the most common and widespread tree species in the country, naturalized and thriving in natural, semi-natural and urban habitats; also very tolerant of saltladen winds (e.g. FCB 1983).
* Evidence of planting in Derry c.1610 (Nelson & Walsh 1993). By end of 19th C, although widely planted and freely seeding, A. pseudoplatanus was only occasionally found in the wild (e.g. Cyb 1866, FNE 1888, Cyb 1898). Not included by Praeger in ITB 1901, but within three decades reported as naturalized in all but 5 vice-counties (Praeger 1934b), and by middle of 20th C considered part of the permanent Irish flora (Praeger 1950). Cens Cat 1-40.

1610 perhaps not 1000 years then?
Maby not a blow in but deffo a carry in!!!
Hi Ho Silver awayyyy
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion