Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cclr Gilligan calls for Athlunkard bridge to be a one-way system!

Options
  • 29-02-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

He wants the bridge to be one-way out of town towards corbally.The traffic coming in from Clare he wants them to go through Parteen/Watch House Cross.Interesting but it will probably never happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

But what about people in Corballly area, does he want them heading out by Parteen or over by Park?

Crazy suggestion.

Edied to add.
    BTW, he'd be better off trying to get funding for the Northern Ring road, that might reduce the Clare traffic coming by Corbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I really don't see how that could work I live in Corbally & sometimes would go out to Tescos or Westbury & to go there I would have to go into town & out by Parteen or vice versa when the main route would have me there in 5 mins.

I really think he hasn't thought that one through :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Somebody has been at the Sherry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

More brainless ramblings by our city councillors! No wonder the city is the way it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

kiersm wrote: »
    I really don't see how that could work I live in Corbally & sometimes would go out to Tescos or Westbury & to go there I would have to go into town & out by Parteen or vice versa when the main route would have me there in 5 mins.

I really think he hasn't thought that one through :confused:

I agree, he hasn't thought it through but the first part of your post can't be right, you live in Corbally and to get to Tesco (across from Westbury I presume) or Westbury, you go via the city centre & Parteen!! Corbally to Corbally via city centre & Parteen :eek::confused::eek::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

He wants the bridge to be one-way out of town towards corbally.The traffic coming in from Clare he wants them to go through Parteen/Watch House Cross.Interesting but it will probably never happen.
    Not interesting, just, John Gilligan certified ****wit, nothing more, nothing less, like all statements from him, should be totally ignored. time these warts on the arse of progress were consigned to history, for once and for all.

Cant wait for Raiser "the new Bock" to see this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Why not just build another bridge alongside it if the current one (a protected structure I assume) isn't able to accomodate the current traffic. [See Image]
    I agree, he hasn't thought it through but the first part of your post can't be right, you live in Corbally and to get to Tesco (across from Westbury I presume) or Westbury, you go via the city centre & Parteen!! Corbally to Corbally via city centre & Parteen :eek::confused::eek::P

No, I think the poster means that they WOULD have to do this if the bridge was made a one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

No, I think the poster means that they WOULD have to do this if the bridge was made a one way.

Still don't think the poster makes sense though. If the poster is already in Corbally then the bridge should have no affect on them. Maybe they are thinking of the bridge between Munchins and Shannon Banks?

If the poster was to want to go to town though then they would have to either go Parteen - Watchouse Cross way or Rhebogue and back in. Making the bridge one way would make no sense. It just means to drive from Corbally to town would take longer than normal and send people into a lot of traffic on clare street or coming in the Ennis Rd.

Is this bridge Athlunkard Bridge? According to Google it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Dumdum's title is wrong then.

The bridge Gilligan wants to make one way is the bridge between Limerick and Clare.

He said the road should be one way from Scoil Ide.

EDIT: Found this.

“That a traffic study be carried out on the creation of a one way system from Scoil Ide out Corbally Road to city boundary.  That Plassey Avenue be used for inward traffic to the city”.​Signed  :  Cllr. John Gilligan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Amateur hour at the council as usual. It would be great to have people who actually have a clue about traffic management making these decisions. Road layouts around the city are a joke with really obvious poor planning.

Cant believe they are wasting resources putting a pedestrian crossing at the top of High St - absolutely ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

So what you are saying Poxy:

If you live in Shannon banks and too lazy to walk to school with your kids you'd have to drive all the way around. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

just read this in the lk post, what a twat, not one iota of sense, will never happen !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭adaminho

Jofspring wrote: »

This is a common misconception. O'Dwyer bridge is located at the end of Athlunkard street, Athlunkard bridge links Corbally to Shannon Banks.

By the way this is a ridiculous idea. It's easy for Gilligan to talk when he lives in Lee estate and doesn't have to use the bridge daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mc Love wrote: »
    More brainless ramblings by our city councillors! No wonder the city is the way it is!

Yep it is scary when one looks at who gets a say in how the city is developed. Lots of unqualified men who seem to love to bullsh1t and get their names into the paper.

No wonder the city centre is a joke that is showing no real signs of improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Absolute joke. This could never work. If he wants more trade in the city why make it more awkward for people travelling in to get there??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Why would he want to do that? The bridge can already accommodate two lanes of traffic going in opposite directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Mc Love wrote: »
    Cant believe they are wasting resources putting a pedestrian crossing at the top of High St - absolutely ridiculous

There will be a set of traffic lights at every junction in the village of limerick before I expire. Mark my words. They say it's in the name of making the village more ped-friendly. My bollix.

g

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Jofspring wrote: »

Nope that's O'Dwyer Bridge, connecting Athlunkard Street to Corbally Road, Athlunkard Bridge crosses the Shannon and connects Limerick to Co. Clare.

So in order for someone in Irish Estates to go to the Tesco in Westbury under this plan, they would be able to go out over Athlunkard Bridge, go to Tesco, then they will have to go out through Parteen, in the Long Pavement, in through Thomondgate, down Island Road, out Athlunkard Street, Corbally Road and then into Irish Estates. That's a 10km, 20 min drive to make a trip to a shop that's only about 750m away, absolutely ridiculous.

If there was another option of getting back across the river which is a little closer then there wouldn't be a problem with this proposal, but it doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Why would he want to do that? The bridge can already accommodate two lanes of traffic going in opposite directions.

Yup and the one on his proposed route is one lane with a stop go traffic light system on it. He's just moving the problem from one side of Limerick the other via Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

I believe if they got rid of the grass margin at the super valu roundabout coming from corbally it would relieve alot of the traffic who are going left and not going into the city as I have often been stuck there when I wanted to go left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

cottager83 wrote: »
    I believe if they got rid of the grass margin at the super valu roundabout coming from corbally it would relieve alot of the traffic who are going left and not going into the city as I have often been stuck there when I wanted to go left
    that would take brains to spot one obvious solution !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

source wrote: »
    So in order for someone in Irish Estates to go to the Tesco in Westbury under this plan, they would be able to go out over Athlunkard Bridge, go to Tesco, then they will have to go out through Parteen, in the Long Pavement, in through Thomondgate, down Island Road, out Athlunkard Street, Corbally Road and then into Irish Estates. That's a 10km, 20 min drive to make a trip to a shop that's only about 750m away, absolutely ridiculous.

That is what I was trying to say, I phrased it badly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

cottager83 wrote: »

I have actually mentioned this to cllr Gerry Mclouglin when he suggested putting traffic lights at this junction and he told me they werent allowed removed any of the grass verge....the entire town is ruined with traffic lights that serve no purpose I have no problem where they are needed such as at dangerous junctions. Every new light is out of sequence with the next one and when first introduced I can understand but the are never fixed, broadstreet is a complete disaster and I give it a week before some1 hit ths new kerb which are so pointed and sharp at the edges before an accident happens..

The council wont be happy until there is lights at every junction in town....madness its killing the city...if every1 bypasses it then they will never come back.

Advertisement