Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-02-2012, 00:43   #1
Charlie Haughy
Registered User
 
Charlie Haughy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,759
What can I do about this? Have to move house urgently

Ok so ive been staying in a studio apartment for the past 6 weeks, it was only temporary due to work, and it was signed for 3 months minimum. I didn't have to pay a bond either.

I have to leave now pretty soon, like in a week or 2 or so as ive been offered work out near the coast.

What can I do about this? Is it legally ok for me to just pack my bags, walk down, give them the key and leave? Or im guessing they will need to inspect the room though?

I've been paying by cash also so they cant take any extra money from my bank account though.

Has anyone here ever had to do something like this?

Any ideas?
Charlie Haughy is offline  
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 00:51   #2
hussey
Registered User
 
hussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney, AUS
Posts: 6,118
Send a message via MSN to hussey
What does your lease say about breaking the contract?

That's purely from a legal point of view.

Kinda weird if you paid cash and no bond ...
hussey is offline  
27-02-2012, 06:53   #3
Peregrinus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,747
It's not legally OK; you've agreed to pay rent for the three months, and you can't renege on your agreement simply because it doesn't suit you any more.

In practice, though, you may get away with it. If you have paid a deposit you will lose it, but that may be the limit of your risk. They can sue you for the rent for the balance of the period, but if you are leaving town they may not bother. And, even if they do, how will they enforce their judgment?
Peregrinus is offline  
06-03-2012, 03:18   #4
Charlie Haughy
Registered User
 
Charlie Haughy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,759
Sorry took a while to reply, there was a few things I needed to sort out. I'm definitely leaving now in about 10-14 days, but need to figure out how this could affect me in terms of money if I break this contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussey View Post
What does your lease say about breaking the contract?

That's purely from a legal point of view.

Kinda weird if you paid cash and no bond ...
It says fixed term agreement 3 months. It doesn't say anything about breaking the contract. Why is it weird that I paid cash and no bond? Its an apartment block for temporary residents i.e. you can pay a night rate or weekly rate along with 3 month rate and people like students or people in town for a few weeks. Its not a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
It's not legally OK; you've agreed to pay rent for the three months, and you can't renege on your agreement simply because it doesn't suit you any more.

In practice, though, you may get away with it. If you have paid a deposit you will lose it, but that may be the limit of your risk. They can sue you for the rent for the balance of the period, but if you are leaving town they may not bother. And, even if they do, how will they enforce their judgment?
Is it common for lessor's to sue tenants for the remaining rent? Or is it best to just ring the lessor and talk to him and explain the situation?

Has anyone here broke a lease before, and if so was there any repercussions?
Charlie Haughy is offline  
06-03-2012, 04:05   #5
Peregrinus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Haughy View Post
Is it common for lessor's to sue tenants for the remaining rent? Or is it best to just ring the lessor and talk to him and explain the situation?
It's rare, I think, though obviously it does depend on how much is at stake. But let's say you stay there for six weeks and forfeit a deposit of another two weeks. The landlord's loss is only one month's rent (assuming you leave the place in good condition) and he may recover some of that by reletting the place. I doubt very much that he will sue you for that kind of money

He might put your name on a register of defaulting tenants (some landlord's associations maintain these) and that might cause you a problem renting somewhere else later on. But, realistically, if he's in the business of renting to temporary residents he probably has this happen to him quite a lot, and he may be philosophical about it.

In fairness to him, give him as much notice as you can. He may bluster a bit, but short of legal action there isn't a great deal he can do.
Peregrinus is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet