Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Cena Vs The Rock. Who are you for? *Possible Spoilers*

Options
  • 21-02-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

John-Cena-and-The-Rock-Wallpaper.jpg

Well?

Feel I should state, this is not who you think should win because merch sales and buy rates. I mean, just as a normal fan, on an emotional level. Lets all be complete marks, its Wrestlemania afterall.

Personally, I'm torn. The Cena videos and his promos have started bringing me around to his side, and to be fair, he is there all the time, and does seem to be a sound, sound man. However, him being there all the time, generally is not great, every so often he has moments of greatness, but generally leaves me underwhelmed.

On the other hand, The Rock is the ****ing Rock. How can I not be for the Rock against John "JBL is Poopy" Cena. However, he'll be back off to hollywood straight away and maybe nostalgia is clouding my vision.

So thats the question! Without any knowledge of backstage goings on etc, deep down, who do you want to win?

VS

Hollywood or Poopy, the choice is yours. 95 votes

Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson
    0% 0 votes
    Jaaaawwwn Ceeeeeenaaaahhh
    100% 95 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Cena

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Cena is my gut reaction for who I want to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Cena. Could never see myself actually hoping for a Rocky win, we all know hes theres to get some publicity and regain some fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Rock
    Could never root for Cena over him...or very many people actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

Finally SuperCena will be defeated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I've come around to Cena a lot lately and i dunno what message it sends if rock shows up for 5 weeks and fecks off again til the following year. If Rock goes over, which would be class, he has to stick around for a while. Otherwise i want Cena to win as a passing the torch moment. Rock simply cannot waltz in for a few weeks, beat the biggest babyface in the business and then feck off to make movies again, it would look terrible in the long run.

Still though, it's the ****ing Rock and id mark out like a 7 year old. I just dunno would it be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

if they start letting cena deliver promos like last nights then i may be more swayed but I am firmly in the Rocks corner - this is from a 100% mark stand point!

i dont care about "best for business" "buy rates" "company man" "publicity" I am answering this from a "It's still real to me damnit" standpoint and IA ahve to go with Rocky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

spiralism wrote: »
    I've come around to Cena a lot lately and i dunno what message it sends if rock shows up for 5 weeks and fecks off again til the following year. If Rock goes over, which would be class, he has to stick around for a while. Otherwise i want Cena to win as a passing the torch moment. Rock simply cannot waltz in for a few weeks, beat the biggest babyface in the business and then feck off to make movies again, it would look terrible in the long run.

Thats thinking too much! :pac:

I voted for Cena myself. I never root for Cena, but now for some reason (blatant victim of emotionally charged videos) I definitely am for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Cena, I've never hated the guy and to me, gets blamed for shit that's really Vinnie Mac's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Suarez oh wait wrong thread. Seriously though there is quite a contrast Rock is never around so thats a negative then again Cena is always around and has been fed everybody for years to the point where I want him to pull a Rocky and go away for a extended period of time. They have both acted like idiots mocking each other in the battle for Vince's affection which is quite sad if your a fan of either.

• Advertisement

I dont get where the mocking has anything to do with Vinces affection? Haven't they just been mocking each others character and the finer points of it. ie. John Cena is a hit with the kids and wimmins, and Rock is a movie star?

Dont get how that is different to any other wrestling feud!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

When Rock vs Cena was initially announced last year I was 100% sure that I'd be in Rock's corner,but over the last few months something about auld Dwayne has put me off him,not sure if it's the childish insults on Twitter or whatever,or his mate Brian who writes all his jokes,but right now he just strikes me as a massive phony.Whch is really weird because I was a huge Rocky fan when I first got into wrestling.

So I'll be backing Cena all the way at Mania,which is a very strange one because up until a year or so ago I couldn't stand the chap.

Rock Looses and Cena Heel turn

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

As with everything, I wonder how many of these allegiances (on both sides) will stick when the music hits at WM :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

GTR63 wrote: »
    ewrestlingnews.com/news/2539/anonymous-wwe-star-rants-on-the-rock
    I'm thinking this anonymous star is Miz.

I know a man who sends texts:

Nash_powerbombs_Punk_large.jpg

As with everything, I wonder how many of these allegiances (on both sides) will stick when the music hits at WM :pac:

thats it exactly! I'm for Cena now. But a few beers in the belly, and that crowd exploding for Rock, and the Rock just being the mega star that he is... I cant say I'll be in the pro Cena camp then!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,101 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

John Cena.

i don't even know why, but i just empathise with the character more.

that could easily change once i see The Rock regularly for a few weeks in the lead up to this though.

CENA VS. ROCK COMMENTS, RAW
    SEGMENT RUNS LONG, EFFECT ON
    REST OF SHOW By Mike Johnson on 2012-02-21 00:19:20
    There were quite a few workers
    backstage popping for John Cena's
    comments about Dwayne Johnson on
    Raw, feeling they were a shoot as to
    how some on the roster feel about Johnson. One talent commented via
    text (with permission to be quoted
    under condition of anonymity),
    writing, "[Johnson] comes in to use
    WWE to get back the audience he lost
    doing Disney movies, which is fine but he's been back over a year and name
    one person he helped make a bigger
    star since then? No one. He's here for
    himself, he keeps to himself, and he
    keeps someone who's actually touring
    here all year from making a bigger payday at the bigger shows. It's all
    about making this the "biggest" Mania
    of all time. OK, then what do we do the
    rest of the year? Who's been made?
    You think he took ANY blame for
    Survivor [Series] not drawing? Of course not, but how do you feud with
    a guy on the Titantron? Cena nailed
    the guy dead on tonight. Say anything
    about HHH, Taker, etc. still being in the
    top spot but if they were needed to
    work the road, they would and they would still work their asses off as
    much as they needed to. Rock is out
    for Rock and the idea he's here to
    better anything but his own wallet is
    the biggest work of 2012." In Johnson's defense, anytime he's
    been booked for PPV or TV, I've heard
    he stays at the same hotel as the rest
    of the WWE crew. It's not like the guy is
    sequestered away like a Grand Jury. I
    can understand the frustration of him being on top, but the reality is, his
    name means greater box office for
    Wrestlemania and that does trickle
    down to everyone on the card. There's
    certainly a give and take to him being
    there, and it's certainly not all a negative.

The anonymous leak is Miz I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cena's gym video from Elimination Chamber:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Cena's gym video from Elimination Chamber:

Im gonna want the Rock to win, but the videos do make it hard not to want Cena to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Oh but we aren't getting John Cena vs The Rock at Wrestlemania. We're getting John Cena vs Dwayne Johnson. The Rock has been dead for seven years.

But to answer the question?

John Cena vs The Rock from the year 2000 - I would pick Rock everytime.

John Cena vs Dwayne Johnson 2012 new and un-improved version - of course it's Cena everytime.

Dwayne has just become so phony with his pu$$y entourage and his Walt Disney movies and his Twatter account, of which by the way he is following nobody, nada, zero persons, is just typical of Dwayne i'm too good for everyone Johnson.

And last week he's already said that in May he's off to Europe to shoot two new Fast and Furious movies, he ain't sticking around.

Don't get me wrong, from a nostalgia point of view, seeing him back was a feel-good moment. It was great seeing him electrify the crowd. Seeing him wrestle at Survivor Series, he looked awesome and hadn't missed a beat.

But everytime he cuts a promo now it just has an air of fakeness about it all.

Not to take anything away from John Cena. He has owned Dwayne in every promo he has cut, everything has been true and his delivery has been spot-on.

Do people seriously have a gripe against the Rock for using his Real Name for his movies. I don't get the problem with that. I wouldn't want CM Punk or whoever to be in listed in movie credits with there gimmick name.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,120 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was a massive Rock fan over the years - loved everything he did and was 'the' star of the WWE for me.

Right now, I am not a Cena hater, and never have been. His lack of character progression, ever, does annoy and the sudden end to the Kane/Eve story lines are as annoying an example as ever of missed opportunities. The Cena we saw last night, is the same Cena we saw 3 months ago, or 6 months ago, or a year ago... etc. So I do see issues with Cena and how he is on Raw, but I respect him a lot.

He gives WWE his all, every day of the week. He does all the shows he is asked to do, he goes to all the promotional stuff, he does loads of charity work for the WWE. He does really seem to love what he does.

When I hear his promo's - they ring true. He is where he wants to be, he is doing what he loves and win or lose on April 1st he will be there on April 2nd, 9th, 16th.... His promo's have, simply, been better. They have been true. He has shown due respect, he has spoken the truth.

The Rock has hardly been back since he would never leave - and whenever you do see him (LIVE VIA SATILITE) hejust rips on Cena with playground bully boy taunts, and then throws out a catchphrase. If you came in to this feud without prior knowledge of Rock, you would just think he is a tool.

I will be in Cena's corner, as much because I actually think the win would mean something to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Dwayne Johnson coming back only for the money is nonsense imo.Granted he will benefit getting his name on a huge stage at WM thus promoting future movie ventures but I truely belive him when he says he will always have a place in his heart for the wresling business.

Sure its in his blood,a third "generation superstar" his father and grandfather were also professional wreslers.Arguably he is the greatest of all times just look back at his matches and promos from the 90s and early 00s and you will see The Rock at his absolute prime.

After 7 years he did in all in the business and entertained the masses.That he took up on the opportunity to became an actor to broaden his horizons should not be held against this man.

WM28 The Rock v John Cena
    Just bring it!
    If you smell what The Rock is cooking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I want Rock to win.

I've been a fan of Cena's for years but there's a nostalgia factor that pushes me towards Rock and seeing as it's in Rock's home town and most fans will definitely want Rock to win, I hope Rock takes it. (Don't think this will happen though)

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Have always been a massive Rock fan and a massive Cena hated. However I've grown tired of Rock over the last year and Cena was at his best last night and completely destroyed the Rock. I Wont vote just yet but I find it very hard to see myself actually rooting for Cena.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

To put my views in context I watched wrestling as a child from around 90-95 and only got back into it in the last few years. Saw bits here and there of te attitude era but never watched regularly due to lack of Sky. This probably puts me in a minority of posters here who wasn't too bothered by the Rock coming back (Id probably have been more excited by Max moon showing up)

That being said - The Rock has been rubbish since he came back. If anyone else trotted out those lame fruity pebbles jokes they'd be hated. He goes on about trending more than frickin Cole does. He'll show up every few months, trot out the same cliched catchphrases and everyone gets off on a nostalgia buzz.

Meanwhile Cena gets shat on from on-high because he happens to be around at a time where the show is PG, which apparently is all HIS fault. He's always hogging the limelight - despite him helping Punk get over massively last year during their feud and helping Zack Ryders push through his twitter a/c. He gets derided for his limited moveset but is the Rock more versatile? Not from what (admittedly little) Ive seen. And on the mic, when he's let loose he is IMO better than the Rock - his promos last night showed that. He's also the one who's putting in the time week in week out at house shows, tv and charity work to keep WWE, and pro wrestling in general, as big as possible.

People may be annoyed at the current WWE product but could the attitude era stars do much better in the current environment? Its a lot easier to entertain when you've the easy options of chairshots, blading, cursing, sexual references etc to fall back on constantly

So yeah, Im hoping for a Cena win. He may say poopy occasionally but at least he wasn't in Tooth Fairy

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cena, its better for business, Rock is there to bring in buys and fans, and it will in droves, Cena winning makes more sense. Rock got to take the torch from Hogan, now 10 years later he gets to give it to Cena.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Honestly, I really don't care. I'm not a fan of either guy anymore. Thought I would side with Rock, but he's just too forced nowadays. Old Rock, it'd be a no contest, but Dwayne, I couldn't care less about. Cena likewise. Five or so years years ago, I liked him quite a bit, but I've liked him less and less over the years as he never seems to change any when it is so clearly needed to freshen him up. Even guys like Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin changed every so often. Cena has been on WWE television for ten years this summer, he's been Super Cena for way too long now.

On the night, I'll probably end up siding with Rock, because his peak was when i was super in to wrestling, even though I'm currently neutral. Either way, Cena should win. Rock doesnt need it unless they are having more than one match. Even then, Cena should still win the first. Cena doesn't really have an excuse if he loses, Rock could heel it up by saying he wasn't match sharp or something and would win if he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

Cena all the way.

From a character standpoint I've never liked Rock as a face because he was a bully and with Cena there's a place for a Luke Skywalkeresque good guy over Han Solo once in a while. Not that he hasn't done stuff that's suspect but I put that down to inconsistent writing. The general personality of Cena is the never give up, rise above hate schtick.

My younger self would, incorrectly, call The Rock a sellout for leaving but I can't begrudge a guy for wanting a living where he's not getting beaten up and, unless he's changed since then, has no problem looking a fool for the likes The Hurricane. The only thing I hold against The Rock is the way he seemed to downplay and ignore what helped get him his movie success.

But then we only have Cena's word and a string of bad movies to say that he wouldn't do the same thing. ;)

Advertisement