Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Wednesday - will you get an ash cross on your forehead?

Options
  • 20-02-2012 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Ash Wednesday - will you get an ash cross on your forehead?

240px-US_Navy_080206-N-7869M-057_Electronics_Technician_3rd_Class_Leila_Tardieu_receives_the_sacramental_ashes_during_an_Ash_Wednesday_celebration.jpg

Ash Wednesday, in the calendar of Western Christianity, is the first day of Lent and occurs 46 days before Easter. It is a moveable fast, falling on a different date each year because it is dependent on the date of Easter. It can occur as early as the 4th of February or as late as the 10th of March. I get the impression that many people, including some Roman Catholics, have no idea why they walk around on Ash Wednesday with ash on their foreheads. I wonder is this tradition dying out? what say you fellow Christians.

Will you get the ash cross on your forehead this Ash Wednesday?

Ash Wednesday - will you get an ash cross on your forehead? 20 votes

Yes, I am a devout Roman Catholic and I always receive the ash cross on my forehead.
    0% 0 votes
    Not devout. I tend to receive the ashes on my forehead as part of tradition more than anything.
    65% 13 votes
    Take it or leave it. If I am passing a RC Church I will drop in and get the ashes on my forehead.
    0% 0 votes
    I am Christian (but not part of that tradition), so I have never had the mark on my forehead.
    0% 0 votes
    I was brought up to receive the ashes, but now as an adult I don't believe or bother anymore.
    35% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

I used to always get them Lord Sutch and wipe am off lol after leaving Church....I think it's a nice observance for the beginning of Lent and a great way of acknowledging our sinful nature and recommitment during the Lenten season, and the build up to Easter. Nowadays I get them and tend to leave them on, moreso because so few seem to wear them, and I feel it's more appropriate as a reminder to myself that despite change in the world I'm still a Christian and it's another small way of proclaiming the Gospel imo too in these times :o Well, that's my take on it anyway..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'll get the mark, provided I can fit in the church door after Shrove Tuesday (an aspiration to imitate in bulk St. Aquinas :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've had ashes before. One time I received them from the RC chaplaincy at university despite the fact I'm not of that tradition. I think the message is important and I think focusing on it is important. It's important to focus on the meaning of it more than the act.

This year I probably won't, but nonetheless the idea of repentance and acknowledging the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ will be at the fore, and it should be at the fore every single day rather than merely during Lent.

Not an argument against the ashes at all, in fact it is a good idea if one focuses on the message, but a different perspective.

It's important to note that in many Anglican churches they do ashes also. Unfortunately, I don't fit the poll at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yes, I forgot Anglican 'High Church' as in St John's Sandymount - sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Funnily enough, high church is the last thing I would be in the spectrum of the Anglican Communion, but there are some things I can appreciate about it. Ash Wednesday being one thing, occasionally a Book of Common Prayer service. At the moment I'm going to an evangelical CofE church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Dont forget an option for us Eastern Catholics and of course the Orthodox like Slav here on the forums.

The Catholic Byzantine Church here in Ireland ( www.ugcc.ie ) follow the Julian Calendar so Great lent for Byzantines doesnt start till feb 27th ( next monday ). This grieves me of course as some EC's follow Gregorian and some follow Julian. We should as one Church be celebrating one date for everything and most importantly Easter. And I look forward to the day when the EO and RC agree to celebrate one day for Easter.

Such a shame. Anyhow I'll be going to get my ashes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Stopped getting them when left the rc church 30 years ago

I've only seen about six paople today in Dun Laoghaire with the mark! Sign of the times? or maybe the rain washed many of them off? There was a time not so long ago (twenty years ago) when every 2nd person had been to get the ashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I'm getting them this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Does anyone know what the guide lines are for administering this sacrament?
    or could they possibly link me to them please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

Got them after 9am Mass this morning! There was quite a good turnout, roughly 50% of Church full, I would guess more will attend the evening sessions, due to work commitments!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Sharrow wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the guide lines are for administering this sacrament?
    or could they possibly link me to them please?

It's not a sacrament in the church's meaning of the word. The priest normally makes a sign of the cross with the ashes.on your forehead and says 'Repent and hear the good news', or similar.

Can't find anything official I could link you to on it.

Received ashes this morning at mass before work. One thing that strikes me every year - the gospel today was about not showing off while praying/fasting, but ashes seem to contradict this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I used to get it as a child, though not by my own choosing. Since I left home I haven't gotten them as I don't have time for the church anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

I think many people wipe off the ashes as they leave church once the service is over. At least I did anyway.

The church I attended at 10 am was full. A similar crowd to any sunday. So I wouldn't write off the RC just yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Feathers wrote: »
    Received ashes this morning at mass before work. One thing that strikes me every year - the gospel today was about not showing off while praying/fasting, but ashes seem to contradict this?
    I heard a Priest in that context mention it was a symbol of our mortality, that we are to die. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Yeah, I understand the symbolism of it, but it just seems like a strange juxtaposition (for want of a less pretentious word) of having that particular gospel reading linked to it; I haven't heard a priest explaining how displaying ashes is different to what Christ tells us not to do in the gospel.

Silly question maybe? but what are the ashes made from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

LordSutch wrote: »
    Silly question maybe? but what are the ashes made from?

As far as I know, the palms used on Palm Sunday of the previous year are burned and that's where the ashes are from.

Advertisement