Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Micra problem starting from cold

Options
  • 18-02-2012 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi all, I have a problem with my 03 Nissan Micra and would appreciate any advice or suggestions you might have.

In the last few weeks I've had to turn on the ignition and immediately press the accelerator in order for the engine to stay on. If I don't do this, it catches, the revs go up and then immediately go back down and cuts out altogether. Once I hold my foot on the accelerator for about 20 seconds it's grand and the engine stays on.

Once the cold engine light goes out it's absolutely fine, but sometimes when it's still cold I'll drive off but if I brake firmly it cuts out again.

I had a full service on it today and the mechanic said that he couldn't find a problem and didn't have any suggestions, just said that it looks like the service has sorted it. It started no problem leaving the garage, but this evening it's frustratingly back to the same problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Some kind of an air flow sensor faulty?

It could be that it's not sensing the correct temperature and isn't injecting enough fuel because of it.

Not that I'm any good with cars myself, just a comment :S

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sounds like a mixture problem perhaps.
    Try pulling out the engine management fuse and start the engine. Does it work then without issue?
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/23599810/Nissan-Micra-K11-2000-2003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 wobblyheadedbob

Thanks for the suggestions, am wondering what to do next and if there is a point returning to the same garage if the problem doesn't seem to be a familiar one to them. Am loathe to take it to the Nissan dealership to be fleeced

... take it to another garage, doesn't have to be a Nissan dealer.

biko wrote: »
    Sounds like a mixture problem perhaps.
    Try pulling out the engine management fuse and start the engine. Does it work then without issue?

Thanks Biko, as a complete thick when it comes to cars, where would I find such a thing?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I added a diagram there. Pull one first and try, then the other and try. 21 and 26.
    This method is free so a good place to start.

If you did a service then sparks are probably ok, but do try with a battery from another car, weak batteries can cause all kinds of mischief.

Cheers for that! I had the battery replaced about a year ago because the car was very occasionally giving me the same difficulty on very cold mornings. It's just become a constant issue now. The new battery made no difference and the garage that had a look then couldn't see any problem either. Very frustrating altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Have you an engine management light coming on at all?

Did the garage who did the service run a diagnostic test on the car?

Hi Nissan, no engine light coming on at all. The guys in the garage did a diagnostic on it alright, but no problems showed up for them

Hi Nissan, no engine light coming on at all. The guys in the garage did a diagnostic on it alright, but no problems showed up for them

They will have needed to study the data stream from the ECU rather then just look for basic fault codes.

The timing chains can stretch on these causing issues and there can be throttle body issues too. Both can happen initially without throwing the light.

• Advertisement

They will have needed to study the data stream from the ECU rather then just look for basic fault codes.

The timing chains can stretch on these causing issues and there can be throttle body issues too. Both can happen initially without throwing the light.

Hmm..I'm not sure what exactly they did look at, they just mentioned that no errors showed up. So far it has seemed to be a mystery to any garage I've asked about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

my money is on a stretched timing chain.
    start saving its a big job.

Mech1 wrote: »

Its not vastly more expensive or difficult then some timing belts to change.

:( Feck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Have you had any power issues with the car other than the cold start issue. Would definitely be an idea to have a disgnostic done and the livedata from the car viewed.
    Have the coolant temp sensor output checked from cold to insure that there is no over/under fuelling issue on start up.
    Have the throttle body checked and cleaned out if there are any carbon deposits on it. Engine may be getting choked at idle by these deposits.
    Timing chains stretching are again a common issue but personal experience are accompanied by engine management lights illuminating and power loss over certain speed ranges. Budget for around 450-500 euro to have this replaced including oil and filter change and using genuine Nissan chain kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Its not vastly more expensive or difficult then some timing belts to change.

How much would you quote on this timing chain job? including parts.

How much would you quote on this timing chain job? including parts.

A full OE quality timing chain kit(chain, guides, tensioner, gears etc) is €200 give or take plus approx 5-6 hours labour so a total of between €525 and €590.

Nissan will tell you the engine has to come out to change the chain on a micra but it can easily be done in place.

AzureAuto wrote: »
    Have you had any power issues with the car other than the cold start issue. Would definitely be an idea to have a disgnostic done and the livedata from the car viewed.
    Have the coolant temp sensor output checked from cold to insure that there is no over/under fuelling issue on start up.
    Have the throttle body checked and cleaned out if there are any carbon deposits on it. Engine may be getting choked at idle by these deposits.
    Timing chains stretching are again a common issue but personal experience are accompanied by engine management lights illuminating and power loss over certain speed ranges. Budget for around 450-500 euro to have this replaced including oil and filter change and using genuine Nissan chain kit.

No power issues with the car other than this problem. Got in the car yesterday morning, hadn't driven it anywhere since I drove it home from the service and it wouldn't start. Just made a horrible squealing sound. The garage towed it in and it's still in with them.

Yesterday they cleaned the (excuse me if I have this slightly wrong!) crankshaft sensor and it started up for them. This morning when I went to pick it up and it has the same problems, starts, struggles and then dies. Hopefully the garage will be able to figure out what the craic is.

Advertisement