Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-02-2012, 21:40   #1
Pepe LeFrits

Season 2 build up thread

Only 45 days to go...

... season 1 trailers for a gentle reminder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpJYNVhGf1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PxLidxnAE8

I was a little disappointed with how he was written in the first season; hopefully they make up for it in the second. Go Team Renly!

The King in the North!

Can. Not. Wait.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 22:06   #2
eyeball kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe LeFrits View Post
I was a little disappointed with how he was written in the first season; hopefully they make up for it in the second. Go Team Renly!
Yeah, I was a bit surprised about Renly when I read the books after seeing the series first. They really changed that character.
16-02-2012, 22:08   #3
_blank_
Closed Account

He features more in the first TV series than in the first book, so I don't know how anyone can say that really.
(2) thanks from:
16-02-2012, 22:10   #4
Overature

Is it better to read the books before starting season 1? hearing great things about it
16-02-2012, 22:15   #5
Pepe LeFrits

Re Renly: He comes across as a bit weak minded in season 1. I thought he seemed sharper and more like a leader in the first book. They seemed to trade his easy and at times overly casual charm for instead being malleable and slightly feeble.

Overature: Either way, you'll enjoy it.
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 22:20   #6
Dannyg90

the feeble way they showed him in the series was to show he was gay
16-02-2012, 22:33   #7
_blank_
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyg90 View Post
the feeble way they showed him in the series was to show he was gay
Is he gay in the books?

I never got that.

Spoiler: Unless he comes back at some stage in the later books as a big flaming homo, I've only read halfway through book 4, if you are spoiling further than this, let me know outside the spoiler tag, please
16-02-2012, 23:22   #8
Anachrony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Is he gay in the books?
Very. But neither he nor his boyfriend are point of view characters, so all you get are hints. But considering their background role, the hints are frequent and not all that subtle. I don't remember them off the top of my head, but if you reread it with that in mind you'll wonder how you ever missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe LeFrits View Post
Re Renly: He comes across as a bit weak minded in season 1. I thought he seemed sharper and more like a leader in the first book.
I didn't get that from the book. I thought he was a bit frivolous and had the public likability factor going for him but not all that much substance behind it. Kind of a mirror image of Stannis. Few people like or want to follow Stannis because of his personality, but compared to his brothers he's more competent. Spoiler: He's gradually eroded and hollowed out by his association with his spiritual advisor, but I get the impression that he used to be at least moderately smart and his brothers weren't. With Renly, everyone wanted to follow him just because of his presence, but in terms of his vision as a leader he doesn't have much to contribute besides as a figurehead. If you could combine them into one person they might make a formidable king.

Last edited by Anachrony; 16-02-2012 at 23:27.
16-02-2012, 23:25   #9
LadyHeart

I seen the first series and then read the books so I kinda had it in my head that he was gay from the way he was portrayed in the show.

Cannot wait for this to start, I'm actually thinking of reading the second book again as I read them pretty much straight after each other I get them muddled up. An also gonna watch the first series if I have the time!

Whose everyone's favourites? Tyrion has to be the best character ever! With Jon and Dani following closely!
Advertisement
17-02-2012, 12:12   #10
eyeball kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Is he gay in the books?

I never got that.
I thought there was a lot of hinting it throughout the books.

As Pepe said, he comes off as quite weak and feeble in the 1st series which was not the impression I got in the books where he was more like a younger Robert.

Either way, I can't wait for season 2

Last edited by eyeball kid; 17-02-2012 at 12:15.
17-02-2012, 13:12   #11
PhlegmyMoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball kid View Post
I thought there was a lot of hinting it throughout the books.

As Pepe said, he comes off as quite weak and feeble in the 1st series which was not the impression I got in the books where he was more like a younger Robert.

Either way, I can't wait for season 2
Never really got this vibe off him. For a start, a younger Robert wouldn't have been anywhere near council meetings. I always got the impression that Robert was the warrior, Stannis was the sensible, by-the-book older brother and Renly was the younger brother trying to get a look in. Stannis was safe in the knowledge that he'd get Storm's End and Robert was King. Renly didn't really have much to look forward to in those terms so he had to rely on personality and intelligence.

Last edited by PhlegmyMoses; 17-02-2012 at 13:15.
Thanks from:
17-02-2012, 13:19   #12
loveacca

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHeart View Post
I seen the first series and then read the books so I kinda had it in my head that he was gay from the way he was portrayed in the show.

Cannot wait for this to start, I'm actually thinking of reading the second book again as I read them pretty much straight after each other I get them muddled up. An also gonna watch the first series if I have the time!

Whose everyone's favourites? Tyrion has to be the best character ever! With Jon and Dani following closely!
Agree that Tyrion is a great character, in fairness I'm not bored with any of them yet. Brilliant the way he moves from one to the other
Roll on April ................ hope it doesn't clash with my night classes
17-02-2012, 16:50   #13
calex71

I was surprised when I read the books re: Renly being gay, never got that from the books at all I know him being married doesn't mean a lot but still I would be interested in where folks got that from in the books

Actually never mind I googled while typing this post.

He was clearly gay in the books, slow me never picked up on it

for those interested and willing to risk spoilers this site has quotes from the books on the subject http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchi...orasrenly.html

Anyway wish I could fast forward season 2 so we get season 3 sooner!!!!!! 2 will be great no doubt, but 3 will be all kinds of epic if made,
17-02-2012, 16:58   #14
Gauge
Closed Account

I'm really looking forward to Renlys arc in Season 2, he definitely looks more like the young version of Robert I pictured him as.

Knowing he was gay in the TV series made it easier to pick up the hints. They seemed obvious but given how detailed the books are I can see how easy it would be to overlook them af the same time. There were quite a few things I didn't pick up on until I wiki'd the books afterwards.

Also really looking forward to Stannis/Melisandre/Davos, and the Iron Islanders.
19-02-2012, 03:32   #15
Revolution9
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge View Post

Also really looking forward to Stannis/Melisandre/Davos, and the Iron Islanders.
Played by our very own Liam Cummingham!

(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion