Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2012, 23:04   #1
steadyeddie08

Unlocked iphone 4...No service on Meteor

Nephew recently bought an Apple unlocked iphone 4. The phone works perfectly on Vodafone and 3 Ireland. However he wants to use it on Meteor. When meteor sim is inserted it shows Meteor on the top of the screen but has no bars for service. The same occurs when a sim for O2 is inserted.

Have reset network settings after putting in sim also to no avail. Anybody know what might be the problem?

Thanks

Eddie
Advertisement
12-02-2012, 00:12   #2
kilianmanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyeddie08 View Post
Nephew recently bought an Apple unlocked iphone 4. The phone works perfectly on Vodafone and 3 Ireland. However he wants to use it on Meteor. When meteor sim is inserted it shows Meteor on the top of the screen but has no bars for service. The same occurs when a sim for O2 is inserted.

Have reset network settings after putting in sim also to no avail. Anybody know what might be the problem?

Thanks

Eddie
Maybe theres no coverage for o2 and meteor in the area?
12-02-2012, 14:20   #3
CathalDublin

Sounds like its been blacklisted, ring meteor with the imei and ask them to check.
I had an iPhone 4(stolen recovered) which was officially unlocked but 3 had blacklisted it, it worked 100% on vodafone but no other network

Last edited by CathalDublin; 12-02-2012 at 14:23. Reason: Autocorrect vodka phone lol
12-02-2012, 19:49   #4
jay93

Send a message via Yahoo to jay93
if its blacklisted it wouldnt work on any network in Ireland.
Is there a sim pin on the o2 and Meteor sim cards turn it off if there is this has been a problem with Meteor and o2
12-02-2012, 19:56   #5
guil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay93 View Post
Is there a sim pin on the o2 and Meteor sim cards turn it off if there is this has been a problem with Meteor and o2
if there is a pin it says sim locked and unlock and cancel are under it, afaik its the same with all networks
Advertisement
12-02-2012, 22:49   #6
CathalDublin

Quote:
Like I said above, I've a three Ireland phone which was blacklisted and works on Vodafone Ireland so I wouldn't guarantee it hasn't been blacklisted on some networks.
12-02-2012, 22:52   #7
MrsMcSteamy

I have a friend with the same problem, her sister sent her home a 3gs she bought from Apple Ireland about 2years ago and she got the new iPhone in oz recently so she said her sister could have it. However it won't work, it asks for her pin and unlocks like a normal phone would but she has no coverage at all.
14-02-2012, 04:48   #8
jay93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathalDublin View Post
Quote:
Like I said above, I've a three Ireland phone which was blacklisted and works on Vodafone Ireland so I wouldn't guarantee it hasn't been blacklisted on some networks.
Thats really odd, any phone that i have seen blacklisted wont work on any other network!
Even o2 confirmed before that once blacklisted it wont work no matter what sim you put into it.
14-02-2012, 10:36   #9
Soarer

Quote:
Thats really odd, any phone that i have seen blacklisted wont work on any other network!
Even o2 confirmed before that once blacklisted it wont work no matter what sim you put into it.
Well it must be true so, 'cause customer service never get things wrong!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 22:33   #10
jay93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarer View Post
Well it must be true so, 'cause customer service never get things wrong!
Well i never said o2 were right in what they were saying!
I'm just passing on info that was given to me and that was how i believed that blacklisting works.

Why would it be blacklisted on two networks but not the others?
15-02-2012, 21:38   #11
CathalDublin

I would say its because All the Irish networks share O2 and vodafones networks and depending on who blacklisted it, it's not carried across both networks

Last edited by CathalDublin; 15-02-2012 at 22:13.
17-02-2012, 16:11   #12
Vic_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcSteamy View Post
I have a friend with the same problem, her sister sent her home a 3gs she bought from Apple Ireland about 2years ago and she got the new iPhone in oz recently so she said her sister could have it. However it won't work, it asks for her pin and unlocks like a normal phone would but she has no coverage at all.
Put the sim in another phone and disable the sim pin then try again in the iphone.
17-02-2012, 17:08   #13
steadyeddie08

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyeddie08 View Post

Thanks

Eddie
Connected to i tunes and did a restore on the phone. When finished it looked for a sim card to activate. I used a Vodafone sim to do this and again it was working fine.

A few minutes later while connected to i tunes i inserted a sim card from O2. It gave the message "Your phone is now unlocked". Still showing O2 logo but no network service.

If the phone was blocked why would it activate and work using Vodafone sim but not work with the sim used to unlock?

Thanks

Eddie

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion