Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marilyn Air Dryer - Anyone got one?

Options
  • 09-02-2012 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

My partner and i are discussing getting The Marilyn Air Dryer but I am not convinced whether or not they are actually as good as the website says. I can't find any independent reviews of them (Gavin Duffy's completely impartial endorsement not withstanding of course). Also they were €100 with €7 delivery up till the new year but now they are €125 with "free" delivery. I thought it was a bit steep at €100 but if anyone has one and feels they are or are not worth the money i would appreciate hearing your opinions on them.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just looks like a base with four basic fans blowing air at the clothes above. Hardly worth €120?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭doniem

I was thinking the same and i emailed them asking a few questions about it. I asked if you could use them while watching tv or would they be too loud and they replied saying that you could not as they would be too loud. therefore i assume that they must be standard 80mm fans with the rpm jacked way up to send the air flow high enough to reach all the clothes.

I remember that being on the "Dragon's Den" a year or two ago.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd prefer a low-noise centrifugal fan running at a low speed - wouldn't be that hard to put one together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Thread tidied up to remove spam......

• Advertisement

Thread tidied up to remove spam......
    Thanks for that Poor Uncle Tom, I had my suspicions about that lovely new person with the glowing endorsement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Is there some kinda opening on the bottom for water to exit? Surely water will drip into the fans at some point?
    I don't think it's worth 120, if it circulated around the cloths maybe, but where its trying to dry from is the wettest point of the cloths.

Ive never seen it before but thats my initial judgment on it, personally I can't see it being efficient.

I would imagine that you would have to make sure that the clothes were not dripping wet before putting them on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I know, but water will still gather at the bottom of the cloths no matter how fast you spin them in the machine

I think it's actually a very good idea in principal. The cloths dry by giving off their moisture to the air directly around them, when that air is laden with moisture the drying process slows or stops until such time as the air is circulated and fresh moisture free air is surrounding the cloths again. In this case the fans do the job of circulating the air.

The huge problem I see with this is drying cloths inside a house adds all the moisture from the cloths to the air inside the house adding to the problems of condensation and mould growth inside the house.

If cloths have to be dried inside the house it should be in a utility room or bathroom with an open window. Where you have constant air circulation you don't need the fans.

But, the cost is ridiculous, €60 would be enough to pay for it and there should be profit for the manufacturer in that, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I dry my clothes indoors with a dehumidifier parked beside them. The dehumidifier blows air at the clothes and collects an enormous amount of water. No mould in the spare bedroom either.

AmcD wrote: »
    I dry my clothes indoors with a dehumidifier parked beside them. The dehumidifier blows air at the clothes and collects an enormous amount of water. No mould in the spare bedroom either.

How much is a dehumidifier to buy? I imagine you would need a big one as it wouldn't be long filling up with the amount of water on the clothes. I live in an apartment and don't have a spare room or a utility so this sounds like a far more promising option than just circulating the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

doniem wrote: »
    How much is a dehumidifier to buy? I imagine you would need a big one as it wouldn't be long filling up with the amount of water on the clothes. I live in an apartment and don't have a spare room or a utility so this sounds like a far more promising option than just circulating the air.
    I had a brief look on the power city website. I bought a Delonghi dehumidifier over 10 years ago, a similar model costs about €170 now.
    There has never been a problem with the tank filling to capacity. My spare bedroom is tiny so I leave the machine and airing rack in together. The electricity bills don't seem to decrease particularly in the summer- even though I would have the clothes drying outside if at all possible.

If you have a house with heat recovery ventilation and underfloor heating, all you need is a clothes horse. ;)

The house takes care of the heat & humidity.

If you have a house with heat recovery ventilation and underfloor heating, all you need is a clothes horse. ;)

The house takes care of the heat & humidity.

Ill have to ask my butler if we had that installed during the renovations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mcelligott

AmcD wrote: »
    I had a brief look on the power city website. I bought a Delonghi dehumidifier over 10 years ago, a similar model costs about €170 now.
    There has never been a problem with the tank filling to capacity. My spare bedroom is tiny so I leave the machine and airing rack in together. The electricity bills don't seem to decrease particularly in the summer- even though I would have the clothes drying outside if at all possible.
    Just got one of these airdryers direct online, works brill. everything was dry in the morning. 120 was enough - but if it stops herindoors using the dryer every day - then we will save 120 in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mcelligott

I think it's actually a very good idea in principal. The cloths dry by giving off their moisture to the air directly around them, when that air is laden with moisture the drying process slows or stops until such time as the air is circulated and fresh moisture free air is surrounding the cloths again. In this case the fans do the job of circulating the air.

The huge problem I see with this is drying cloths inside a house adds all the moisture from the cloths to the air inside the house adding to the problems of condensation and mould growth inside the house.

If cloths have to be dried inside the house it should be in a utility room or bathroom with an open window. Where you have constant air circulation you don't need the fans.

But, the cost is ridiculous, €60 would be enough to pay for it and there should be profit for the manufacturer in that, imo.

Having used it now for three weeks - I can say I'm happy. Spoke to them about the humidity - They explained how it cannot cause condensation. Very informative...highly recommended if you want to save something on the ESB bills.

I'm glad it's working for you but very few people need a drier in this weather.

Just to note
    Spoke to them about the humidity - They explained how it cannot cause condensation. Very informative...
    any moisture that is taken from the cloths and circulated throughout the room/house without being ventilated directly to the exterior WILL cause condensation. The laws of physics do not change because you buy a specific product.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jackbetal

jackbetal wrote: »

Your post breaches the charter here
    10. Anyone who just visits the forum to spam or advertise a product or company will have their posts deleted and they will be banned, the same applies to having a product or company name as a username.
    Please read the forum charter before posting here again, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I ordered one on the foffit deals website but I don't know how to redeem the voucher. Anyone know how???

you either have to go and pick it up in CIT or call them and pay them to deliver it as far as i know. will you post back here in a week or so and let us know how you get on with it?

doniem wrote: »
    you either have to go and pick it up in CIT or call them and pay them to deliver it as far as i know. will you post back here in a week or so and let us know how you get on with it?

They got back to me and said I could email them my redemption code along with my address & phone number.

I got one for my mother and she's happy with it. It blows cool air on to the clothes so you don't have to worry about damaging them. It's like putting them out on the line without worrying about rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 stevieboyrocks

yip, i bought one, but unfortuately i couldn't reccomend it, i just don't think it helps very much at all, also its a bit noisey, you wouldn't mind too much if it was drying the clothes, i wish i could reccomend it as its an irish product

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jennyrose

I saw this on one of those deal sites costing 125 plus a fiver delivery.

Checked the dimplex site and it's retailing 120 quid plus a fiver delivery.

I think this says more about those 'deal' sites than the dryer itself. Regards the drying concept, not a bad one actually. And I wouldn't mind the noise aspect either- I like the sound of laundry at work..I simply think that it's too expensive given the simplicity of what it is. The profit mark up on 120 plus quid is just too much IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DAVID J

I've had Airdryer for 9 months. Works very well, I can put heavy towels from the washing machine hung over 2 wires on clothes horse. Even if Airdryer runs for 24 hours, it uses only 10cents of electricity a day!. What else can I run for 10 cents a day

just out of curiosity, how do you know that 24 hrs will only cost 10c?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

just out of curiosity, how do you know that 24 hrs will only cost 10c?

The yoke consumes 25W (according to the website). So for 24 hours, it uses 0.6kWh. With a price of about 17cent per kWh, the 10cent it costs for 24 hours is spot on :)

• Advertisement

I'm glad you did the math! well done, thanks.

Advertisement