Limerick aka Dog **** Central - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

07-02-2012, 01:02   #1
MyOpinion

Limerick aka Dog **** Central

I jog through Limerick City atleast 4-5 times a week.
In recent weeks i've noticed the increase in dog crap on our footh paths.
Is it on the owner to clean this crap off our streets... or is it up to the city council.
I understand if a dogs gotta go, a dogs gotta go! BUT CLEAN IT UP PEOPLE!!!!
This has become a bit of a joke.
O Connell Ave is the worst!! Infact its all pretty bad!
Has anyone else noticed it?? .. And doesnt it give our city a ****ter image than it already has. Or are we just supposed to wait for the rain to wash it all away?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-02-2012, 01:06   #2
xsiborg
Closed Account

trust me, you're not the only one-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=76705984
07-02-2012, 08:07   #3
Icky Thump
Closed Account

it is an offense to not clean up after your dog. on the spot fines are dished out for offenders as far as i know. if you see an owner not cleaning up after their dog either say it to them or report them. you and most of the world most likely have a camera phone. take a sneaky pic of them if you can and bring it to the gardai.

as far as i know it falls under the littering category
07-02-2012, 08:35   #4
bazz26

I'd doubt these laws or fines are imposed otherwise the problem would not be so common. Typical half arsed Irish approach, introduce a law and then don't bother enforcing it. Just lip service as usual.
(3) thanks from:
07-02-2012, 08:53   #5
Icky Thump
Closed Account

to be fair its pretty hard to enforce a law like that

how many people do you see get fined for dropping paper on the street or spitting out gum on the street??

problem is if we see dog crap on the path we cant prove who's dog it was. the only way of people being caught is by catching them in action which means pics or if they are in the city center the cctv's.

the problem in this country is too many people will just ignore their responsibilities. your right that its disgusting and these lazy dog owners should be punished

it gives all dog owners a bad name which is unfair on people who actually do pick up after their dogs
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-02-2012, 08:56   #6
source

Send a message via Skype™ to source
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
I'd doubt these laws or fines are imposed otherwise the problem would not be so common. Typical half arsed Irish approach, introduce a law and then don't bother enforcing it. Just lip service as usual.
The problem with enforcing this kind of law is unless you see the person allowing their dog to crap then walk away, you can't say who is responsible, and so the law becomes unenforcable.
10-02-2012, 20:11   #7
bonnieprince

Dog excrement etc

Any reason why dog owners deem it ok to let there dogs foul footpaths etc. I use a well known path each day and the amount of dogs without leads and fouling the footpath is astounding! This is a danger to kids especially.
Any have any thoughts on the matter?
10-02-2012, 21:08   #8
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnieprince View Post
Any reason why dog owners deem it ok to let there dogs foul footpaths etc. I use a well known path each day and the amount of dogs without leads and fouling the footpath is astounding! This is a danger to kids especially.
Any have any thoughts on the matter?
I have a blog post on this, but dot want to link it here, unless mods think its okay.
10-02-2012, 21:48   #9
RonMexico
Closed Account

Well when so many Irish people think that it is perfectly acceptable to just gob all over the street when it suits them, spit their chewing where they like and drop fag butts and litter everywhere I would say that getting them to clean up dog shit is next to impossible.

There is no pride in keeping the place clean and tidy in this country unless there is a prize involved it seems.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-02-2012, 21:50   #10
An File
Lording over insects

Send a message via Skype™ to An File
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I have a blog post on this, but dot want to link it here, unless mods think its okay.
Fire away! Maybe quote some of the important points here, and link to the whole thing too.
10-02-2012, 21:53   #11
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insect Overlord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Fire away! Maybe quote some of the important points here, and link to the whole thing too.
I'm on the phone so can only paste the whole thing, it's not long.....promise:

You can imagine my amazement, as a dog owner, and a conscientious one at that, to count 24 different piles of dog foul on the South Circular Road, between Fennessey's pub and the Redemptorist church last Thursday 26/01/12. While 24 sounds like a large number it becomes even larger due to the fact that the 24 I counted were on one side of the road.

Yes I know that doesn't mean there will be 24 on the opposite side, but if it's on one side then there is no possible way it will not be on the other. I really don't get it. Why do people in this day and age, with all of the information available still not clean up after their dogs. A quick search on Google and you find all the information you need on dog foul and why it needs to be cleaned up.

Dog foul can and often does contain a little bug called Toxocariasis. Toxocariasis is an infection of the roundworm toxocara canis. The eggs of the parasite can be found in soil or sand contaminated with faeces and if swallowed, result in infection that lasts between six and 24 months. Symptoms include eye disorders, vague ache, dizziness, nausea, asthma and epileptic fits. Often the eggs are ingested when passed to the mouth by the hands, but this can also occur through contact with dogs or other inanimate objects including the wheels of toys and the soles of shoes. Infected soil samples are often found in play areas and as a result, Toxocariasis most commonly affects children between 18 months and five years.

Now we have to wonder, with this information so easily available why do people still not clean up after their dogs? A roll of dog foul bags can be picked up from a pet shop for as little as €1.99 and a roll of regular plastic bags from a supermarket for considerably less.

The main issue as I see it, is laziness. People seem to believe it is not their responsibility. Obviously this is not true. It is the responsibility of every dog owner to ensure they properly care for their dog. This includes cleaning up after them.

Sure the city council could do a little more, in the way of providing bins, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the dog owner and walker. Yes it is unpleasant to walk around in search of a bin with a bag of your dog's foul. But it is even more unpleasant for the person who gets sick because of your laziness.

What can those who don't own a dog do about this? Well it's simple really, don't stand for the dog fouling in you area. Be vocal about this. Limerick City Council have leaflets and posters available from the environment department, which are free of charge to take and distribute. Why should we, I'm sure I'll hear you say, Well it's simple. We can live with dog foul and run the risk of disease, or we can begin changing our own and others opinions on the matter. The only way we can beat this issue is to educate people on the issues relating to dog foul. Yes there are those who will not listen and for them there is the possibility of a €150 fine by calling 1 800 216 816 and reporting them.

http://sourceie.wordpress.com
10-02-2012, 23:04   #12
bonnieprince

Does the City/County Council have many Dog Wardens?
Could someone from the council blitz the problem areas and educate people.
11-02-2012, 00:05   #13
Mc Love

They hardly have enough traffic wardens nevermind dog wardens!
Thanks from:
11-02-2012, 22:59   #14
CiaranMT

Noticed this myself out cycling today on the Corbally Link Road and up the Dublin Road.. Much messier than usual.
11-02-2012, 23:00   #15
constantg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Love View Post
They hardly have enough traffic wardens nevermind dog wardens!

Perhaps we should collect the Dog Sh*te and post it to Limerick City Council to highlight the issue?
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed