Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 in 3D

• 05-02-2012 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is any of the foreign broadcasters or even UK are signed up to have a 3D channel showing these games in 3D??

I'll buy a 3D TV before the championships if there is
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

The BBC have shown Wimbledon in 3D before so I would imagine they might be your best "domestic" bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not much information out there, I can't find anything about foreign providers. This is from last April, not looking great.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/39635/third-brits-but-3dtv-olympics

The BBC, who has terrestrial broadcast rights to the Olympics, currently has no plans to launch a new 3D channel, although it may show some events on red button services. It hasn't, however, decided how much or even if at all.

In addition, Euro 2012 coverage is traditionally split between the BBC and ITV, who also has no firm plans to show matches in 3D.

At present, the only dedicated 3D channel in the UK is exclusively on satellite broadcaster BSkyB's Sky+HD platform. And while it has been broadcasting some of the Euro qualifiers in 3D, Sky doesn't have the rights to either the Olympics or the finals of the European Football Championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Looks like my new Samsungs, (when I finally get it), 2D to 3D conversion will be as good as it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Is the Championships being filmed in 3D??? - If so I imagine one of the providers will....

Not much information out there, I can't find anything about foreign providers. This is from last April, not looking great.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/39635/third-brits-but-3dtv-olympics

The BBC, who has terrestrial broadcast rights to the Olympics, currently has no plans to launch a new 3D channel, although it may show some events on red button services. It hasn't, however, decided how much or even if at all.

In addition, Euro 2012 coverage is traditionally split between the BBC and ITV, who also has no firm plans to show matches in 3D.

At present, the only dedicated 3D channel in the UK is exclusively on satellite broadcaster BSkyB's Sky+HD platform. And while it has been broadcasting some of the Euro qualifiers in 3D, Sky doesn't have the rights to either the Olympics or the finals of the European Football Championships.

I'm very surprised at this - surely the Olympics will be filmed in 3D.... Very odd that a host tv broadcaster in their own territory wouldn't have the latest technology streaming on its own network...

I'd have expected a press-release too with the TV's being sold everywhere now...

Maybe BBC HD Channel will broadcast the Olympics in 3D?

• Advertisement

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/28/bbc-3d-vision-london-olympics

The BBC is considering plans to broadcast the 100 metres final of the London Olympics in 3D, as well as trying out a new technology that delivers picture quality said to be 16 times better than HDTV.

Roger Mosey, the BBC executive in charge of the corporation's London 2012 coverage, told reporters on the sidelines of the Edinburgh international television festival that 3D coverage for the 100m and other events was "certainly on the agenda", as part of a "limited experiment".

The event will see world record holder Usain Bolt seeking to restore some pride after being disqualified from the world championships on Sunday, following a false start.

The BBC will also test "super hi-vision", a new broadcasting technology so advanced it is not expected to be in homes for a decade. Three 15 metre (50ft) high screens will be erected around the country so that the public have a chance of seeing the imagery that Mosey said was so good it would match up with the experience of watching from the stands.

"When you sit and watch it you really get the experience of being in seat D5 in the stadium," he said. "Super hi-vision might be a better long-term prospect than 3D in some ways as it gives you the feel of being in the stadium. People are knocked out by it."

Super hi-vision screens will be erected at the BBC's Pacific Quay building in Glasgow, Broadcasting House in London and, subject to negotiations, the National Media Museum in Bradford.

The BBC is likely to broadcast the Olympic opening ceremony using the technology, which employs a single camera to capture a wide shot. It has already been tested on sports such as basketball and "big stadium events".

Mosey added that Sharp was working on an 215cm (85in) TV set using super hi-vision technology but that it was unlikely to be widely available until 2022.

The debut of super hi-vision is part of a tradition of trialling new TV technology at the Olympics. Mosey said that the BBC led the way, delivering the "first properly televised" Olympic Games when they were hosted in London in 1948.

The Los Angeles Olympics in 1984 was the first to use HDTV cameras. However, it was not until Beijing in 2008 that the BBC first broadcast in HD.

However, Mosey said that the first 3D Olympics would not amount to a "24/7 service" during the Games, partly because it would mean interrupting its HD programming.

"It is fair to say there is a trade-off between 3D and HD," he said. "We don't want to damage the mass audience that watches HD with [too much] 3D, which is viewed by a minority".

Earlier this year the BBC made its first 3D broadcast, televising the men's and women's Wimbledon tennis finals on BBC HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 webvan

Any update on this ? Watched the Champion's League final on Sky 3D last night and it was rather impressive !

webvan wrote: »
    Any update on this ? Watched the Champion's League final on Sky 3D last night and it was rather impressive !

No update but I bought a Samsung 40" 3D yesterday - & like you I'm blown away by the quality & depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

Manc-Red wrote: »
    No update but I bought a Samsung 40" 3D yesterday - & like you I'm blown away by the quality & depth.

What model did you get m8?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Fantastic TV Manc-Red, to think how far things have come in a few years!

I remember when I first got digital satellite and being awe struck with the picture quality...

Hell I remember how happy I was with my Snowy BBC analogue signal..!

Fantastic TV Manc-Red, to think how far things have come in a few years!

I remember when I first got digital satellite and being awe struck with the picture quality...

Hell I remember how happy I was with my Snowy BBC analogue signal..!

Have to admit Ronan, this TV is off the charts....

TV indeed has giant leaps in the past few years - 3D for me is mind-blowing, HD on this TV is truly beyond belief too....

Happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Any update on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Does that telly have MPEG4 for Saorview built in ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, it does. It's even listed on Saorview.ie

Pal wrote: »
    Does that telly have MPEG4 for Saorview built in ?
    byte wrote: »
    Yeah, it does. It's even listed on Saorview.ie

Freesat too built in - so far so good :)

Headshot wrote: »
    Any update on this?

Digitalb apparently are showing it in 3D & the final is been shown on TVP HD in 3D....

That's it :(

Headshot wrote: »
    Any update on this?

Digitalb apparently are showing it in 3D & the final is been shown on TVP HD in 3D....

That's it :(

That's a start, need to look up Digitalb, what satellite is it on?

[edit] Albanian TV ?! Huh...

• Advertisement

webvan wrote: »
    That's a start, need to look up Digitalb, what satellite is it on?

[edit] Albanian TV ?! Huh...

16e pal

No dish set to 16E here so that won't do, is it confirmed that the final game will be on TVP HD in 3D and only there?

Advertisement