Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frankfurt Express

Options
  • 01-02-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Have decided to start this triathlon blog as I am injured at present (first real injury in 4 yrs of triathlon) and I need something to keep my mind occupied and away from searching the net to try and find out what the problem is. Will see how it rolls if i can regularly update it etc and if the feedback is positive

Will give you guys some background.
    Doing tri since late August 2007, age 37 years young, triathlon age 4.5 (they say it takes 7 years to build the perfect aerobic system :D)..triathlon completed id say about 50 olympic distance and sprint ,,couple of half ironmans..and 2 full Ironmans with my 3rd to come in Frankfurt in July 2012. Best time in a sprint 1.07 (tri athy) Best time in an olympic 2.15 (tri athy) Best time in an Ironman 11.30.01 (Frankfurt 2010).
    Am married with 2 daughters (aged 4 and 1) and a very understanding wife and i work full time as a hedge fund accountant. Based in Drogheda,work in Drogheda and race for Pulse.
    My goal is to qualify for the Big Island sometime in this decade. One must have goals to aspire to :D
    So thats me. Hope you enjoy this blog.
    Bryan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

About bloody time you started a log i will be able to keep an eye on you now to make sure you are not making gains on me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hope you get over the injury soon. Best of luck for Frankfurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

About bloody time you started a log i will be able to keep an eye on you now to make sure you are not making gains on me;)

Surely u are referring to the biking and running JB ;)
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Hope you get over the injury soon. Best of luck for Frankfurt!

Cheers...hows your training coming along?

So training has been off and on for 3 weeks know with this hip injury. I did 60 k on the bike last Saturday and 2 hours after it the right hip/lower back flared up. I am going to a physio tonight that JB has recommended for a second opinion as i dont believe its just a hip flexor issue. thinking along the lines of muscle imbalance or spasm that is weakening my right side which cant seem to keep up with my strong left side and is over compensating which is causing the flare up. Just hoping the physio can diagnose the exact issue and correct treatment. While i cant bike or run i have been able to keep up with my swimming. Last night did 2600m in 58 mins with about 1300 m of drills working on catch,balance, body position & timing of my kick . Have to say am loving my swim sets at present which are really focusing on my weaknessess and am already feeling slight changes in just 6 weeks of drills. Drills are were its at. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cheers...hows your training coming along?

Tipping away. Getting a bit done and enjoying what I am getting done. Hope the second opinion goes well.

• Advertisement

The second opinion did not go too well last night. Spent 1hr20 with the guy and he came up with tight hamstring and weak obliques. Not really getting that one so am heading back to Dublin in the morning to Ciaran Fitz....were ill be guaranteed an hour of pain to try locate the root cause of the problem. Managed a 2k swim at lunch with JB who was moving well. Problem is there were some stragglers in the fast lane holding us up. Nipped under the ropes into the general population and swam the final 700 in and out of the crowd. Result was 2000 m in just under 40 mins.
    Trying to figure out my race build up to Frankfurt and as it stands i am just thinking of these 3 races.
    1 March Sportsman duathlon
    2 Joey Hannon Olympic
    3 Tri Athy sprint
    After talking with my coach i want to concentrate on getting the proper training in leading up to july without racing having an affect on it. So thats were i am at.
    Fingers crossed opinion 3 is the solution tomorrow as i need to get back biking and running.

Did the Aqua Jogger not get in your way outside the ropes!!
    Jealous of your swimming tbh but just another reason to spur me on in the pool and try get on your feet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Best of luck Bryan.

I was about to post up about Ciaran as I was reading the injury issues!
    The man knows his stuff myself and the gf go frequently and can't rate him very highly. Hopefully he will sort things for you!

It seems Athy Sprint is the race for bragging rights this year :):D

Hope you get on well and injury diagnosed and solved so you can get back training.

Fazz wrote: »
    Best of luck Bryan.

I was about to post up about Ciaran as I was reading the injury issues!
    The man knows his stuff myself and the gf go frequently and can't rate him very highly. Hopefully he will sort things for you!

It seems Athy Sprint is the race for bragging rights this year :):D

Hope you get on well and injury diagnosed and solved so you can get back training.

Ha Ian i assume you meant can. Cheers saw Ciaran yesterday and I believe he diagnosed the problem . Turns out my QL muscle which attaches the pelvis to the spine was extremely tight and was pulling the hip out of place and putting serious pressure on the other muscles in the area. Sore today from him working on it for an hour but a good sore. Back to biking and running this week :)

Monday 30 min easy run
    Tuesday am 2.3 k swim pm 45 min very easy spin
    Wednesday am 30 min easy run
    Core work 1 hr

Hip was very sore/tender up until yday as a resut of the deep deep tissue work Saturday. Have ran two short runs since and no reaction. Biked for 45 mins last night at very low power.....A lot less sore today and spent 30 mins last night and this morning stretching and doing some core excercises.

Think i need to hit the gym to do some weights to try and further strengthen the lower back and glutes.
    Wary of increasing the load on the bike until am confident it is strong enough. Dont want to set myself back again.
    Swim session tonight with Eastern Bay
    Anyone got any good glute stretches out there? I find it very difficult to stretch around the hip area. PS Disclaimer Not looking for medical advice.
    Cheers.
    Bryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

simple ones I use.

Lie on your back. Put outside of left ankle on top of right knee and pull the knee toward your chest.. Glute

Lie on your back and raise you left leg as straight as you can. Pull it laterally across your body to feel a stretch along the outside of the Glute and along the ITB, if you pull the leg toward you it will only stretch hamstring.. Hip/ITB

For ITB I find rolling it out is more effective

Left knee on ground, right leg in lunge position. Push hip forward to feel stretch on front of hip... Hip Flexor

I'd post links/pic but no access at the mo'

simple ones I use.

Lie on your back. Put outside of left ankle on top of right knee and pull the knee toward your chest.. Glute

Lie on your back and raise you left leg as straight as you can. Pull it laterally across your body to feel a stretch along the outside of the Glute and along the ITB, if you pull the leg toward you it will only stretch hamstring.. Hip/ITB

For ITB I find rolling it out is more effective

Left knee on ground, right leg in lunge position. Push hip forward to feel stretch on front of hip... Hip Flexor

I'd post links/pic but no access at the mo'
    cheers shotgun

figured id post a quick update. No point in putting stuff up daily until i get back into some regular training. And i dont want to be depressing myself or anyone else

As it stands i have not biked in a week and have only done 2 short runs. Have managed to get 3 decent swims in though.

After another trip to the physio my ql is still inflamed along with my glute medius around the pelvis..and i have a slight anterior pelvic tilt on the right side

Was also told i have no lower back muscles and very weak glutes which is destabilising the problem side. So what do i do?

1. I have to let the injury heal
    2. I have to do a boat load of dailycore work and glute strengthening excercises to make sure when i do start back the same injury does not rare its ugly head
    3. I have to stop running and biking completely until it heals ...at least another 7-10 days

Very tough to accept but at this stage am fed up so just have to suck it up
    Its Feb 13 and have had this problem a month now....if i dont sort it in the coming month....the Frankfurt Express will be leaving without me :(

figured id post a quick update. No point in putting stuff up daily until i get back into some regular training. And i dont want to be depressing myself or anyone else

As it stands i have not biked in a week and have only done 2 short runs. Have managed to get 3 decent swims in though.

After another trip to the physio my ql is still inflamed along with my glute medius around the pelvis..and i have a slight anterior pelvic tilt on the right side

Was also told i have no lower back muscles and very weak glutes which is destabilising the problem side. So what do i do?

1. I have to let the injury heal
    2. I have to do a boat load of dailycore work and glute strengthening excercises to make sure when i do start back the same injury does not rare its ugly head
    3. I have to stop running and biking completely until it heals ...at least another 7-10 days

Very tough to accept but at this stage am fed up so just have to suck it up
    Its Feb 13 and have had this problem a month now....if i dont sort it in the coming month....the Frankfurt Express will be leaving without me :(
    One week on and still no sign of the injury healing. another trip to the physio tues nite to try and break down the knots in my glute medius deep against the bone. Told me to give it 2 days and try again. Went for a 30 min jog thurs nite and muscle between pelvis and hip flared up again. At a loss what to do next and what is causing it. Near impossible area to stretch and foam roll. Frankfurt july 8 which gives me one mth to resolve before i pull out. too late to start training after that.Swimming has not been affected but going to park that now as well. Not in a good place but trying to keep the head up. Too much time to think.

This week involved

1 physio session
    3 2k+ swims
    1 1.5k swim
    1 5.5km run
    1 turbo for 22km
    and 1 outdoor ride very easy for 30km

Not really what i want to be doing 19 weeks out from Ironman but ill take what i can get until the glute hip issue is resolved. Had a massage monday to try further break down the knots in the glute medius area which is in spasm..which is causing the pelvis to flare. My coach advised me to talk to a guy he knows before deciding on further action. I took his advice and after describing the problem he believes he will be able to fix it fairly easily by getting in at the problem and lengthening the muscle. So fingers crossed after 6 weeks of trying i am going to see some light at the end of the tunnel come Monday. Am chomping at the bit to get going again. Motivation will not be lacking when i get back...thats for sure. I did a very easy 30k spin today with no reaction so things are looking up. Ran into JB on km 23 of his run and he was moving well.....then met another pulser near julianstown...far from home....we are everywhere :cool: Hope everyones training is going well.

Positive signs!!

Figured id give an update since i have not made an entry in a while.

Back full training 3 weeks now.
    My number for the first 3 months of the year look like this
    January: 26.80k swim, 379.80 bike, 55.47k running
    February: 29.08k swim, 107k bike, 37.21 running
    March: 28.88km swim, 578.20 bike, 146.93 running

Averaging 10-11 hrs per week at present with 14 weeks to go to Frankfurt. I did bike and running tests last week so i now have my lactate threshold and power numbers to work with. Big push over the next 12 weeks to get in the shape i want to be heading for Germany. Fingers crossed i have no more major hiccups along the way.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Thats good to hear. I can imagine it was hard to get the head right with the injury holding you back!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Thats good to hear. I can imagine it was hard to get the head right with the injury holding you back!
    Cheers Bambaata head melting it was but back on the horse now. 2 vomit sessions last week to kickstart the push :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Paddytierney

Hey keep her going there pal. You seem to have got over your injury well. See you in Frankfurt. ( my first IM )

• Advertisement

Hey keep her going there pal. You seem to have got over your injury well. See you in Frankfurt. ( my first IM )

Cheers Paddy. Hope the training is going well. If you need any info on the race you can let me know as i did it in 2010.

Training is going a lot better now. I seem to have finally got a handle on the injury that screwed up 8 weeks of training. It is no longer interupting my biking or running. 12.5 weeks and the longest bike i have done is 88km and the longest run i have done is 18km. Am not panicking though. Hitting 9 out of 10 sessions a week all with a specific focus. Getting used to training with power on the bike a very useful tool and hopefully will be able to measure my progess over the next 6 weeks. Last week completed just over 10hours training with this week going over 12 hours. Have moved groups in work and for the next 7 weeks i expect to be working long hours and the stress levels to increase. Nothing i can do about it though. Just got to suck it up. How insensitive of an amercian company not to think about my Ironman training !!:eek: Better be getting used to 5hr sleeps as JB put it. Also have to put more of a focus in with the wife and kids. Plan my training around them instead of them around my training. Easy to lose sight of this. Too early to think about times although my original estimate of 10.20 may be out of reach with everything that has gone on. We'll see. 87 days to go.

Advertisement