Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15K for cyclist injured by Bus Driver

Options
  • 30-01-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

you heard it here first !!

A cyclist was awarded 15K in the Civil Court for an injured thumb caused by a bus driver.

It'll be on the newswires soon - keep an eye on Breakingnews/the journal and other sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

brb going to get hit by a bus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Never mind 15k, meeting a bus and only hurting your thumb is the luckiest that cyclist will ever be!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Never mind 15k, meeting a bus and only hurting your thumb is the luckiest that cyclist will ever be!
    But their hitching days are over...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Hopefully we'll see a pic of this guy cycling his bike (on a bus lane) in the papers tomorrow, giving a big thumbs up for the camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Now they just need to fine him 15k for cycling on the footpath :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Now they just need to fine him 15k for cycling on the footpath :pac:

........plus costs:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

It's never good when you can't attend a court case because you're already in prison for something else. Pity they couldn't be arsed to find out what for.

Still, your man's an arsehole for going up on the footpath rather than overtaking the bus. And to Bus Eireann, who tried to slopey shoulder their responsibility by arguing that assaulting people wasn't part of his job description...I should hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Interestingly enough, they couldn't serve a summons on the bus driver because he was in prison! Don't know what he's in prison for, but I guess that made sure Bus Eireann weren't going to put up too much of a fight in this case, right or wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

A bus hit the back of my car on abbey street once and the sneaky fooker tried to drive off without giving me details or waiting for a guard to arrive.

Got a cheque for damages off bus eireann as thats all I was looking for ,never trust a bus driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Nice of the Metro to give this story front page attention with the word 'cyclist' in giant letters.

Are they trying to incite more road rage from their readership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They print what sells. This has got nothing to do with buses or cycling.

Don't see why the cyclist couldn't have stayed on the road and gone around the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

BostonB wrote: »
    This has got nothing to do with buses or cycling.

Exactly my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dickhead assaults asshole! Now where's my Buzzcocks CD?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

They print what sells. This has got nothing to do with buses or cycling.

Don't see why the cyclist couldn't have stayed on the road and gone around the bus.

You'd think he'd be capable, what with his 20 years of cycling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

The verdict was handed down for assault. Why all the crap about the cyclist being on the path? Nobody should be trying to excuse the bus driver's actions as a consequence.

Despite Scott being guilty of this minor offence, or even if he was being confrontational with the bus driver, it's no reason for the bus driver to assault him. Two wrongs don't make a right, and assault is a more serious offence than cycling on the footpath.

Let's hope that Scott had it pointed out to him in court that he should not have been on the footpath, that he learns a lesson from it and becomes a better cyclist as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This just demonstrates that it is possible to get away with being very annoying for a very long time, until you eventually meet someone sufficiently bad tempered.

The irony is that the cyclist probably feels vindicated by the outcome.

LOL. :D so true.

Its probably on youtube already like that scottish muppet who seems to look for conflict on his commute.

The verdict was handed down for assault. Why all the crap about the cyclist being on the path? Nobody should be trying to excuse the bus driver's actions as a consequence.

Despite Scott being guilty of this minor offence, or even if he was being confrontational with the bus driver, it's no reason for the bus driver to assault him. Two wrongs don't make a right, and assault is a more serious offence than cycling on the footpath.

Let's hope that Scott had it pointed out to him in court that he should not have been on the footpath, that he learns a lesson from it and becomes a better cyclist as a result.

Sure. But its also seems the whole thing could been avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

As opposed to being rewarded for cycling on the footpath that other people are putting to legitimate use and then infuriating them further when it's pointed out to him?
    I think if I was the bus driver he might have got more money. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

LOL. :D so true.

Its probably on youtube already like that scottish muppet who seems to look for conflict on his commute.

Ah yes- the good Doctor.
    Sure. But its also seems the whole thing could been avoided.

This is exactly it. While no-one should ever be assaulted the whole thing could have been avoided had he not been a muppet and cycled on the path.

While no-one should ever be assaulted

I disagree with the broad scope of your assertion. Some people deserve a good punch in the face, and if you haven't met any of them you've lived a charmed life.

Not in this case, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's never good when you can't attend a court case because you're already in prison for something else. Pity they couldn't be arsed to find out what for.

Still, your man's an arsehole for going up on the footpath rather than overtaking the bus. And to Bus Eireann, who tried to slopey shoulder their responsibility by arguing that assaulting people wasn't part of his job description...I should hope not.

there is precendence set her with regards vicarous liability for an employee

Reilly v Ryan (High Court judgment of Blayney J on 18 July, 1990 reported at [1991] 2 IR 247)

A manager in a shop used the plaintiff as a human shield to fend off the attack of a robber thereby physically assaulting the plaintiff and putting him in a position of great danger. The manager's actions were so excessive as to take them out of the class of acts which were impliedly authorised by the defendant, and that what he did went wholly outside that which he was employed to do, namely to attend to the defendant's customers' needs and safety.

The employees may be liable, but it is unlikely that the employers would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SpartanBaz

Ah yes- the good Doctor.

Any links to this Scottish Muppet? :) I should like to see his work

SpartanBaz wrote: »
    Any links to this Scottish Muppet? :) I should like to see his work

http://www.youtube.com/user/magnatom

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That is exactly what I was thinking when I read that line:
    Irish Time wrote:
    He told his barrister, Jennifer O’Connell, that he had cycled to and from work daily for the past 20 years and had experienced much aggression from lorry drivers, bus drivers and motorists.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ah yes- the good Doctor.

davidTennant_1381584c.jpg

This one?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

As much as I hate cyclists who cycle on the footpath, I have to agree with rich.d.berry -- this kind of assault is much worse than your average cyclist on the footpath.

The court heard that bus driver first "shoved his chest up against" the cyclist's (more minor than the rest, but could assault on its own). Then when the cyclist walked away and try to take a picture of the bus, the bus driver tried to take or damage the cyclist's phone by knocking it out of his hand, and when the cyclist tried to pick up the phone the driver grabbed the cyclist's wrist (could assault on its own) and pinned his "right thumb back all the way" (could assault on its own).

dubmess wrote: »
    Nice of the Metro to give this story front page attention with the word 'cyclist' in giant letters.

Are they trying to incite more road rage from their readership?

Is these something diffident on the print edition, because what you call 'giant letters' is their typical front page headline font size.

What's more annoying is the electric bike test feature in the same edition where the journalist commutes for a week from Santry to Talbot St -- which would range from under 6km to a little over 7km -- and he's still talking about sweating into work. The commute into work is down hill and, again, it's an electric bike! :pac:

That is exactly what I was thinking when I read that line:

While things in Dublin even seem to have gotten better in the last 4 years, I can only imagine the abuse a cyclist would have gotten over the last 20. And you'll get more abuse from a few bus drivers if you dare to use the bus lane on some routes in just one month than you'll get from other drivers in another area for a whole year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Murray, who is currently in prison, did not attend court.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tallon wrote: »
    lol

You just got there before me:o

I had to laugh hard when I read this !:D

Advertisement