Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food, Glorious Food

Options
  • 30-01-2012 2:37pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,

As promised, here's the place to put all your recommendations for restaurants anywhere in Londinium.

I'll kick it off with our beloved Meat Liquor:

http://www.meatliquor.com/

Meat Liquor is just a short stroll from Bond Street Underground Station. If you're patient enough to wait in the queue, it's well worth it. Its edgy decor, funky music and fantastic burgers have made it a London Boardsie favourite! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

for anyone in the South East - the Taste Inn Chinese restaurtant / takeaway in Lewisham is my favourite place to eat.

They have a regular Chinese takeaway menu and a more traditional Chinese menu. It's similar to any of the good places in Dublin (Sichuan House, M&L etc.) Staff are friendly and they'll accomodate veggie requests. Just make sure to specify no meat even if you think there's no possible way the dish you've chosen could include meat becasue it probably will...even if it's in the vegetarian section of the menu!

unfortunately they don't do sit down meals but for an Indian takeaway in the South East - Curry World is fantastic.

Also, I'm sure a fair few people have been there already but Honest Burgers in Brixton Village is really good. If you eat anywhere around there then make sure to get some ice cream in Lab G for dessert.

Chain wise - I found Masala Zone (Covent Garden branch) to be really good value and very tasty. A good place if you're stuck and come across one.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

For something in Covent Garden a bit posh but not crazy expensive, Le Deuxieme is good - they have a very good value early bird pre-theatre menu. Have eaten there twice now and the food is great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Benito's Hat (Various locations) - a tasty & cheap option for Mexican grub. A tried-and-tested favourite for pre-Beers nomming :) It's also worth noting that they sometimes have 2-for-1 deals on margaritas, though whether this is a good thing or a bad thing kind of depends on your tolerance for them...

Spicy Basil (Kilburn) - really tasty Thai food for stupidly cheap prices. They do takeaway as well, which frankly is kind of dangerous. If you live near Kilburn, do yourself a favour and try it out.

Ruchi (Kilburn/West Hampstead) - really tasty Indian food for stupidly cheap prices, with takeaway also available. (This is where I discovered that actually, I really like Indian food - I just don't like crappy vindaloo "scalding hot with no flavour" curries...). Like Spicy Basil, if you live anywhere near Kilburn you should give it a try.

Wahaca (Various locations) - another great Mexican mini-chain with several outlets around London, Wahaca is mainly geared around "street food" - Mexican tapas, basically. A great place to get a few people together and go for food and a few drinks (especially since they do my favourite Spanish dessert, churros, as well as having a selection of proper tequilas. The only thing to bear in mind is that you can't reserve tables and they get very busy in the evenings - to the extent that queuing for an hour is quite likely if you arrive at the wrong time of day.

X Burger House (Kilburn) - Completing a trifecta of Kilburn food places, X Burger House is great for proper burgers - as in serious "this may kill me but at least my death will have been delicious" kind of burgers. Prices are decent and, again, they do takeaway. If you like gourmet burgers and you're in Kilburn, you owe it to yourself to try this place out.

Amber Grill Rodizio (Harlesden) - this is the restaurant that taught me the meaning of the term "meat hangover". The buffet is excellent, with staff bringing a variety of fresh offerings to your table every few minutes. If you've ever wanted to try chicken heart (surprisingly tasty, considering what you might expect) or just stuff yourself to bursting point with meat, this is the place for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Cheap Eats:

Mama Lan in Brixton Village gets a favourable mention for its authentic Beijing tastes in a cosy little space and good prices to match.

Mother Flipper is a new recruit to the weekly Brockley Market in the south east on Saturday mornings. No queue like MeatLiquor and good, tasty burgers to kick start your weekend for around £5. Street food.

Hoxton Beach falafel at Goodge Place is easily the best veggie food I've had. Street food.

The Dogfather on Northcross Road on Saturday mornings is a cheap lunch on the go with all the trimmings. Excellent 'dogs! Street food.

These are just to whet your appetites. I'll be back. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Byron - Classy Hamburger chain http://www.byronhamburgers.com.

If you can't handle the queues for Meat Liquor give these guys a go. My favourite location is the converted pub in Soho. Bit expensive, but far superior and cheaper than any pub grub burgers you might have the misfortune to try, and GBK isn't even in the same sport, let alone league.

The Diner - Think Eddie Rockets but so much better. http://www.goodlifediner.com/map/

Have only been to Kensal Rise and Camden branches. Great for American-style breakfasts with bottomless coffees. Burgers and cocktails aren't half bad either. Standard Jukebox tunes on the speakers and 'Have a nice day' waitresses. Combine a Thursday night trip to the Lexi Cinema in Kensal Rise with a meal in the branch down the road and you get two mains for the price of one.

Fez Mangal - Ladbroke Grove http://www.fezmangal.co.uk/

Who says all the best Turkish Restaurants are on Green Lanes?
    The smell of the charcoal grill will hit you when you come in the door and have you salivating before you even sit down. Try the mixed mezze to start then the lamb/chicken beyti yogurtlu (minced and spiced lamb/chicken skewers cooked on the grill then served in yogurt and tomato sauce). Been here a number of times and no matter how often I ask for more freshly baked pittas to soak up the sauce I've never been charged for them. It's BYOB with no corkage so hit the offie next door before you go in.

Pitt Cue Co - http://twitter.com/pittcueco

This place has only just opened but if it's anything like the trailer they had last summer under a bridge on the Southbank then get there before everyone else finds out. Another no reservations place, with the added problem of being absolutely tiny, this is all about American barbecue. Smoky ribs that just fall off the bone, saucy pulled pork, burnt ends, etc. If they do takeaway, grab a box of whichever meat you fancy, some crispy slaw and root beer beans, walk down to Golden Square and enjoy!

A tip if you're on a low budget. Hit the food stalls of Camden Market (around the lock) on a Saturday for wall-to-wall free samples. Then, if you really like something, go back and pay for some more!

I've got more but all this food talk is making me hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Kopapa in Cov Garden make a mean brunch, make sure you book though

For those of y'all in West London, Ruby in Notting Hill's brunch is off the hook too

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I love this Thai place in Soho

http://busaba.com/locations/wardourstreet/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Below are a list of restaurants for real men. A man's man who likes meat (sounds suggestive).

Goodman Steak Restaurant in Mayfair. Bestest steaks I have ever had in a fine dining surroundings. Great presentation of the food and the waiters/waitresses really know their stuff as they show you the variety of cuts.

Le Relais de Venise is a French style steak restaurant located in the City. There is no reservations and a menu that only offers salad for starter and steak and frites for desert. You do get the choice of sauce and how well cooked you want the steak but that's it. Following your starter, they bring out your main course of steak and frites and once you finish that off they come along with another helping of steak and frites! Absolutely marvelous!

Bodeans is a chain of BBQ style restaurant and I imagine most of you folks have been in one. Nonetheless, it's a great eatery for a quick casual bite.

Next time I am back I will go to Meatliquor. I have been hearing too many good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Just a short list from me:

Hawksmoor - Great Steaks, a bit pricey but nice for a special occasion. Three locations around London; Seven Dials, Spitalfields & The Guidlhall (Bank Station) Good Cocktails and Beer as well. Deserts are awesome!

Big Apple Hot Dogs - Street Food, located on Old St. Pretty tasty Hot Dogs, they have a few different options to try. Cheap!

Eat Street - A really good idea that brings street food vendors from all over London to one location, Kings Cross. Its only up until lunch on weekdays though so I have never been able to get to it :(

The Breakfast Club - Really good breakfast, brunch and lunch. A few locations dotted around the place.

Poncho No. 8 - Best Burritos I've had. Three locations; Soho, St. Paul's & Spitalfields

Burger or Lobster - Just opened in Mayfair. They do two things, Burgers & Lobster. Looks good, will have to try it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Gordon's Wine Bar on Villiers Street- mostly cold meats/salads/cheeseboards, as the wine is the main focus. Perfect date restaurant though, all the low ceilings, cosy corners and candlelight are amazing!

Inamo in Soho- Asian, quirky set-up with interactive tabletops that you make your own orders on, can play games on, can even pre-programme with your own digital photos (great idea for a special event). Plus their Thai Red Curry is the best thing I've ever tasted! As a warning- it is all too easy to get rather squiffy here, as ordering another drink is just a matter of pressing a button on the table!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

This restaurant isn't in London, it's not even in the UK, but I think everyone needs to visit it at some point: http://www.bon-rappetite.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

serrity wrote: »
    This restaurant isn't in London, it's not even in the UK, but I think everyone needs to visit it at some point: http://www.bon-rappetite.com/

I wonder if they deliver :D

Oh hell, they have a cookbook... :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Scout London ( http://www.scoutlondon.com/2012/02/15/scout-sets-out-to-find-londons-best-burger/ ) have done a mini-burger review and they're saying that Bukowski Grill has burgers that rival Meat Liquor and the chips are nicer. Need to investigate this sometime :D

http://www.bukowski-grill.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Claim The Frame

I know it's a chain but I think any of the Aberdeen Angus Steak house's are excellent!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Scout London ( http://www.scoutlondon.com/2012/02/15/scout-sets-out-to-find-londons-best-burger/ ) have done a mini-burger review and they're saying that Bukowski Grill has burgers that rival Meat Liquor and the chips are nicer. Need to investigate this sometime :D

http://www.bukowski-grill.co.uk/

I fully endorse this product and/or burger... Nyom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

For Michelin Star -like quality at a reasonable price try Rousillon in Pimlico / south Ken, they had a Michelin star until recently, then the chef left and now they're working hard to get that accolade back. There's a really good value lunch offer there (the menu de dejeuner) : http://roussillon.co.uk/ which at £35 is excellent value if you like this kind of incredibly poncy dining :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Just to give y'all the heads up. The people behind MEATliquor are opening a new burger place in Covent Garden, MEATmarket. Slightly different set up to meatliquor, looks interesting and the food will be just as good.

Trying to find out when it officially opens, but there are some reviews already up like here.

Just to give y'all the heads up. The people behind MEATliquor are opening a new burger place in Covent Garden, MEATmarket. Slightly different set up to meatliquor, looks interesting and the food will be just as good.

Trying to find out when it officially opens, but there are some reviews already up like here.

It's effectively the same as MeatLiquor except more informal - no table service, more akin to a traditional fast food joint. Though I do believe they have some new items on the menu.

Next up for me to try is Lucky Chip, based at the Sebright Arms in Hackney, but also at Netil Market on Saturdays. Anyone who's keen to join me in my never-ending odyssey to taste all of London's fine burgers is more than welcome! :)

Edit: Lest I be branded as not having contributed to the spirit of the thread with a proper review, I would like to state that I heartily endorse Patty & Bun. They're another burger-van pop-up; they were resident at The Doodle Bar in Battersea for a few weeks, but tied that up last weekend. However, they're not going away. Their burgers are good - I wouldn't reckon that the meat is as tasty as MeatLiquor and the bun isn't as absorbant, but I have developed ridiculously high standards; they still rate a 7/10 in my view - but their triple-cooked fries are delicious! Also, two thumbs up for their service - my veggie friend persuaded them to serve up a mushroom-based burger for her, despite it not being on their menu, and they had no hesitation in obliging.

Next up for me to try is Lucky Chip, based at the Sebright Arms in Hackney, but also at Netil Market on Saturdays. Anyone who's keen to join me in my never-ending odyssey to taste all of London's fine burgers is more than welcome! :)

Went to Lucky Chip a few months ago, in Netil Market on a freezing Winter's day. Therefore I didn't enjoy the burger as much as I could/should have, as I just wolfed it down so I could get out of the cold. Willing to give them another try...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Y'know, I've been trying to convince all my non-Irish friends in London that Irish people are not obsessed with beef.

This thread is not helping.

Went to Lucky Chip a few months ago, in Netil Market on a freezing Winter's day. Therefore I didn't enjoy the burger as much as I could/should have, as I just wolfed it down so I could get out of the cold. Willing to give them another try...

Yeah, the first time I tried Mother Flipper's beauts was in January and I could barely feel my fingers; I judged them as being fair; however, they've cleaned up their service a lot since then and subsequent tastings have led me to put them on a par with MeatLiquor.

Maybe I'll suggest a Meat-Up at Netil Market this weekend for brunch. Keen?

Yeah, the first time I tried Mother Flipper's beauts was in January and I could barely feel my fingers; I judged them as being fair; however, they've cleaned up their service a lot since then and subsequent tastings have led me to put them on a par with MeatLiquor.

Maybe I'll suggest a Meat-Up at Netil Market this weekend for brunch. Keen?

No can do this weekend I'm afraid, headin back to Ireland for the Bank Holiday :( Any other weekend I would, but don't wait for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Que Viet in Dalston is the nicest place I have eaten in London (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d2010501-Reviews-Que_Viet-London_England.html) Absolutely delicious and really reasonable... I highly recommend the 'Shaking Beef' dish. You wont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Que Viet in Dalston is the nicest place I have eaten in London (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d2010501-Reviews-Que_Viet-London_England.html) Absolutely delicious and really reasonable... I highly recommend the 'Shaking Beef' dish. You wont regret it.

Going to try it this weekend .. Thanks :)

Playboy wrote: »

Going to try it this weekend .. Thanks :)
    Seriously let down by this place yesterday, has gone downhill! Gutted, massively :(

Seriously let down by this place yesterday, has gone downhill! Gutted, massively :(

Yeah I must say I wasn't that impressed to be honest. I hadn't tried Vietnamese food before and I'm not sure if it was the restaurant or the cuisine but I didn't really enjoy it. The people I was with liked it though.

Playboy wrote: »

Yeah I must say I wasn't that impressed to be honest. I hadn't tried Vietnamese food before and I'm not sure if it was the restaurant or the cuisine but I didn't really enjoy it. The people I was with liked it though.
    While I was there I was thinking 'oh crap that guy has come on my recommendation!!'. It was very different from the three times I'd been before; no music, sticky menus (ugh) and cold Plates... That before the meal. It was meant to be my and my partners last meat meal before going veggie... Disappointed hugely so had a fry up this morn to make up for it! Very sorry. Must check out the time out and qype reviews for it recently as it was getting great ones a year ago and less.

While I was there I was thinking 'oh crap that guy has come on my recommendation!!'. It was very different from the three times I'd been before; no music, sticky menus (ugh) and cold Plates... That before the meal. It was meant to be my and my partners last meat meal before going veggie... Disappointed hugely so had a fry up this morn to make up for it! Very sorry. Must check out the time out and qype reviews for it recently as it was getting great ones a year ago and less.

Don't worry about it! Can be helped if Restaurants take a nose dive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Tayyabs, Brick Lane is the overflow for this restaurant, fantastic place to eat. The only place I insist people should check out.

Hot Stuff, near Vauxhall and BYOB.

Pitt Cue Co., not made it here yet but have heard great things from friends.

Tortilla, a chain of burrito places around London, the ones near Oxford Circus or Angel tube station never let me down for cheap, great food (with free refills on soft drinks).

The Laughing Halibut, just an amazing Fish & Chip shop

The Kennington Lane Cafe, OK this is more for locals as it basically only does breakfast and lunch but I adore it and does a brilliant cooked breakfast.

Courtesan, new dim sum place in Brixton getting good reviews.

Franca Manca, fantastic pizza in Brixton market, pre-dates the food revival down there by years.

Firezza, takeaway pizza that is lovely but I moved and they don't deliver here :(

I like food.

Advertisement