Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this legal

Options
  • 28-01-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

My ex partner is getting an upgrade to SkyHd ,I pay for the account and stuff and the bill is in my name..No problem there at all

BUT..I only heard last night..It seems over the last couple of weeks some Sky installer called to the house and asked my 15 year old daughter was it ok to hook up our neighbours to our Dish..she didnt know what to say..So she said yes!..Not any hassle with next door as far as i know..just an hello an goodbye

But surely Sky or there Agents cannot do that without mine or at least an Adults permission ..And are next door getting ripped off..havnt had a chance to speak to next door ..Live a fair bit away myself and dont want to be an Ass

But anyone any idea where i stand legally before i speak to the Installer coming to my exes today @11 and ringing Sky
    (The dish has been giving problems anyway before this)

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I think this is actually against housing regulations. Something to do with separate electricity circuits.

Not sure of the exact reason. Someone will porbably provide a better explanation when more people come online.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tommy Target

Thanks..Just dont want to Cause world war III ,Until i find out the Facts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Jumpy is right. Also a person under the age of 18 yrs cannot enter into a contract, so the permission is void in any case even if it was legal.

Thanks all...Just after getting off the phone..New dish in Neighbours getting installed very soon..Just a bit annoyed at agent/installer still though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only properly installed Communal dishes can be shared for safety reasons. He should be reported to the employer (who is not Sky).

Only the house owner (i.e. landlord if rented) can give such permission, which is only legally valid for a Communal standard of Install.

Train your Daughter to say no. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

watty wrote: »
    Only properly installed Communal dishes can be shared for safety reasons. He should be reported to the employer (who is not Sky).

I agree he should be reported, but to Sky. It is up to Sky to sort it out with their contractors.

In my mind it raises a serious concern about the training that the installer received, something that should be of concern to Sky, also.

Sky don't train or pick these people. Nor are most door to door people trained.
    IMO door to door is a type of Spam and the people doing it are being exploited, promised commission rather than an viable wage and thus likely to do anything to win sales.

I'm beginning to think it should be outlawed.

Rule of thumb. Never buy off a door to door for anything like Roof Repairs, window cleaning, Aerials, Electricity, Phone, Pay TV or anything or someone buying old clothes, furniture. Or Religion. A high proportion are complete scams, a significant number are untrained and while the product or service is real you may not be getting an honest sell.

If you need something look up Golden pages, Internet, recommendations of people that got it more than 1 year ago etc. Shop around.

I believe it's an insurance issue for two buildings with separate electricity supplies to share one dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

back in the late 80's our neighbour (in Athy back then) has a 12 foot diameter steel frame and chicken wire dish to get excellent reception of the 4 UK channels. He let us string a coax cable to his attic distribution amplifier so we enjoyed the extra channels too.
    One day the ESB had some problems in the area and 3 or 4 times the power came on and immediately went down again.
    Blew the s**t out of the TV signal amplifiers in his attic and the electronics of our Sony Trinitron - proved an expensive job (new TV etc.).

In fairness the short-term use of your dish to feed your neighbour (especially as I assume it's two semi-detached houses) is probably no big deal - but as someone said above it could cause you insurance problems if anything goes wrong.

• Advertisement

Installer was out to sort out my order..The Connection had been removed from my Dish
    When he was told about the connection from next door via there agent/installer I believe he was horrified..And advised the Bill payer (Me) to Contact sky and complain .Even left number.Pinch of salt must be taken there methinks.

Thanks for all the advice an help..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭eggy81

Karsini wrote: »
    I believe it's an insurance issue for two buildings with separate electricity supplies to share one dish.
    Why would it be.no electricity supply at a dish is there?apart from the voltage coming from the sky box to power lnb which is 9 volts or something small anyway.what's the issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

eggy81 wrote: »
    Why would it be.no electricity supply at a dish is there?apart from the voltage coming from the sky box to power lnb which is 9 volts or something small anyway.what's the issue here?

Because an electrical fault in one house can go through the dish to the other house.

Also neighbouring houses are on different phases. So 380V between the "lives". This can mean much more leakage current on earths as the PSUs have filter capacitors to live.

Communal systems have a separate bonded earth for dish and barrier plate all coax go by which earths all the coaxes before they go to LNB to a separate bonded earth.

It has to be done and inspected by someone qualified. The "ordinary" Sky installers would not be competent on this.

You shouldn't wire ANYTHING to a neighbour unless it has sufficient isolation. Coax on set boxes are not isolated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

jaysus! What would happen if there was a short and each of the properties are on different phases ? Bang.

Advertisement