Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terenure 5 mile 13/5/12

• 24-01-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Sportsworld have changed the name and route of their annual 5 mile classic...

website
    last year's thread (old route)

It's a two-lap route again, but this time there's a big lap and a small one - big lap from Terenure College to Terenure to KCR to Templeville Road to Templeogue village and back to the college, small lap goes to KCR but then takes the left turn straight back to Terenure College (the road DCM runs on). (There's a video on the website if you didn't follow all that :))

Pretty flat throughout, and no equivalent to the Whitehall Road wind tunnel. Camber and potholes on the road from Terenure to KCR are a bit dodgy, but otherwise a nice route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Just signed up for this! I live 10 mins from the start so it's dead handy for me.

I know the mini marathon is abit of a sore point here but the organisers of the mini marathon are accepting the result times from this race for allocating starting places :D

Thanks Ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anybody know what are the individual and team prizes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Disappointing that they have increased the price from €15 to €20.:( It seems that this is becoming the norm for club races now - Rathfarnham, Raheny, Donore etc now charge this for their races.

I'm of two minds on this. €20 is my limit so if the clubs start going over this then I'm definitely out. At the same time these races are usually spot on and at the end of the day I would prefer to spend this and everything to go well than spend less and have to deal with standards lowered. The only thing is that I will picking and choosing which one's to run in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

geld wrote: »
    Disappointing that they have increased the price from €15 to €20.:(

They do say that a minimum of €5 from every entry goes to the special olympics, so I suppose that's the fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Anyone know what are Indiv and Age Cat prizes for this race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Prizes are still being worked on but are likely to be similar to previous years. The re is a minimum of €5 going to Special Olympics Ireland with each entry and improved facilities on the day. Will be sure to update when I know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Just wondering if this is a very serious club race, I live right by here and would love to do it but I'm afraid I shouldn't be quick enough and would come in last!

Just wondering if this is a very serious club race, I live right by here and would love to do it but I'm afraid I shouldn't be quick enough and would come in last!

There are plenty of walkers every year, and more slow runners. You're very unlikely to come in last.

RayCun wrote: »

There are plenty of walkers every year, and more slow runners. You're very unlikely to come in last.

Brilliant, thanks for the quick reply, I'll sign up for that so!

See you there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

Does anyone know how many entries there are so far, it says on the website that only the first 1000 entrants receive the technical t-shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Does anyone know how many entries there are so far, it says on the website that only the first 1000 entrants receive the technical t-shirt

Yep, you're still ok

Are the packs being sent out or do we have to collect them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Are the packs being sent out or do we have to collect them?

Normally you just collect them on the morning of the race at the HQ (I assume Terenure College).

Yes you can pick up your race pack at Terenure College on the morning of the race.

Update on registration and packet pickup

On-line registration will close at 10pm on Friday 11th May 2012.

Registration by hand can be made on Saturday 12th May at Terenure College between 1PM and 5PM and on the day of the race (Sunday 13th) up to 10.30am. Additional fee of €5 applies on both days.

Race numbers, timing chips and t-shirts may be collected on Saturday at Terenure College between 1PM 5PM or on Sunday morning prior to the race (from 8.30 AM).

Any questions please respond here or using any of the methods below.

https://www.facebook.com/terenure5mile
    http://www.terenure5mile.com/
    https://twitter.com/#!/terenure5mile

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Looking forward to seeing a few of you down there on the day. Race seems to have great reputation and well organised which makes my job easier.

Full set of services provided as usual.

For anyone who has entered and not seen the race t-shirt see the shot below. Entries are way above last year so it's sure to be a great race.

tshirt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

gmurran wrote: »
    For anyone who has entered and not seen the race t-shirt see the shot below. Entries are way above last year so it's sure to be a great race.

tshirt.jpg

Very nice. T-shirt's not bad, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

huskerdu wrote: »
    Very nice. T-shirt's not bad, either.

Yeah, I'd happily wear that ;)

• Advertisement

Happy to report that entries are now over 800 so if anyone wants to run on Sunday and get the free t-shirt above then I'd recommend that you register today or tomorrow.

http://www.runireland.com/events/Terenure5mile

Call your time -

RayCun 30.59

21 second improvement, in 8 days, on a longer course? No problem :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Call your time -

RayCun 30.59
    Belcarra 33:59
    Woddle 34:01
    fyp:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm going to aim for 38 mins, though that's based on my GIR 10K time of 48:34. I've never done a 5 mile before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

belcarra wrote: »
    Call your time -

RayCun 30.59
    Belcarra 33:59
    Woddle 34:01
    fyp:D

Fixed that for you

RayCun 30.59
    Belcarra 33:59 a long way behind woddle :D
    Woddle 32:50
    Seamus 37:59

Just checking out the new route now and I reckon if the wind is playing ball which I think it's suppose to, this will be a very quick course.

My only question really is how far down Fortfield rd is the start as the first turn could be a bit mad.

I'm going to run the route on Saturday morning if anyone is interested, about 12 and then as far as I know you can collect your number from 1 in Terenure college.

From the looks of that video, its not far down the road, 10 or 20m beyond the entrance by the swimming pool. I'll be running by there this evening, must remember to look for a mark on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Anyone got a garmin link? Looks like a fast course.

Race website says the start is at the junction with Fortfield Park. This would actually make sense - there's a back gate into the Terenure College gym right there, it means that particpants won't have to walk against the starting direction in order to line up.

Winds are due to switch to southwesterlies, which will mean a very quick run down Templeogue road both times, but the trip down Wainsfort road might be a bit of a slog.

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »

No Garmin, but a mapmyrun on the website. It's very flat. Might be a bit of wind on Fortfield Road.

Here's a rough Garmin course (it's slightly less than 5 miles because it's following the map data)
    http://connect.garmin.com/course/1189185

The elevation graph is a bit off-putting because the scale is so small. The difference is only 8.5 metres.

Just so the slowmo's are represented I'll add myself, did 44:39 in '10, 42:32 in'11 so would be happy to knock anything off that. McMillan calculator says not based on my 5k & 10k times but we'll see.

RayCun 30.59
    Belcarra 33:59 a long way behind woddle :D
    Dotcomdolly 41:59

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

RayCun wrote: »
    nerraw1111 wrote: »

No Garmin, but a mapmyrun on the website. It's very flat. Might be a bit of wind on Fortfield Road.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/169585734

Woddle wrote: »
    I'm going to run the route on Saturday morning if anyone is interested, about 12 and then as far as I know you can collect your number from 1 in Terenure college.

If you run it after collecting your number (about 1.15-1.30) i can join you for that?

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you run it after collecting your number (about 1.15-1.30) i can join you for that?

Suppose to be coaching a few of the kids in Marlay at 2:30 but I'll see if I can change the time around and get back to you.

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Suppose to be coaching a few of the kids in Marlay at 2:30 but I'll see if I can change the time around and get back to you.

If we start at 1.15 we'll be done before 2 and you'll be in marlay in plenty of time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FeargO

Can anyone tell me if the route is prone to runners cutting corners. Would prefer if the bigger races like Raheny, Rathfarnham & Sportsworld would look at cordoning off the corners.

Starting to get fed up of losing places by sticking to the proper route !

Thanks

FeargO

FeargO wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the route is prone to runners cutting corners. Would prefer if the bigger races like Raheny, Rathfarnham & Sportsworld would look at cordoning off the corners.

Starting to get fed up of losing places by sticking to the proper route !

Thanks

FeargO

There are a few small corners on the course, nothing that's going to shave 10 seconds. Most will be cordoned off with stewards.

It's natural instinct to find the quickest way from A-B and most people don't realise how frustrating it can be to see someone cut a whole section of the course out. i can raise this again so there is a good awareness by the stewards who are all club memebers.

Prizes for the race on Saturday are as follows. The top five men and women will receives as follows.

Individual Senior

1st – €400
    2nd – €250
    3rd – €150
    4th – €100
    5th – €50

Team Prizes (Four to score for men and women)
    1st – €200
    2nd – €100

Age Categories (1st and 2nd men and women)

Awards for O40, O45, O50, O55, O60, O65

Juniors:

1st and 2nd Boy and Girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Im number 821 just collected my number

RayCun 30.59
    Belcarra 33:59 a long way behind woddle biggrin.gif
    doledude86 37.59

so ill be looking for you there Seamus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

RayCun 30.59
    doledude86 37.59
    SnailsPace 39:58

RayCun 30.59
    doledude86 37.59
    SnailsPace 39:58
    gmurran 26:30 ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Impressive times folks - best of luck tomorrow! My goal is just to finish, hopefully with a smile on my face!

gmurran I was wondering what tshirt availability is like, are any sizes running out? I couldn't make it to pick up my pack today as I'd hoped but hopefully there'll still be some tomorrow.

gnu wrote: »
    Impressive times folks - best of luck tomorrow! My goal is just to finish, hopefully with a smile on my face!

gmurran I was wondering what tshirt availability is like, are any sizes running out? I couldn't make it to pick up my pack today as I'd hoped but hopefully there'll still be some tomorrow.

Small has been popular but there was plenty left when I left the hall at 4 today. Get there early enough tomorrow and you should be fine.

I got a small one myself so sizes are decent.

Small has been popular but there was plenty left when I left the hall at 4 today. Get there early enough tomorrow and you should be fine.

I got a small one myself so sizes are decent.
    Thanks, small is what I'm after - how early do you think I should get there? Don't want to arrive too early or I've too much time get nervous!

gnu wrote: »
    Thanks, small is what I'm after - how early do you think I should get there? Don't want to arrive too early or I've too much time get nervous!

Ha Ha lol! I'm going to be out putting signs up so I wont be able to put one aside but 9.15-9.30 ish and you should be good. Cheers

Ha Ha lol! I'm going to be out putting signs up so I wont be able to put one aside but 9.15-9.30 ish and you should be good. Cheers

Thanks a mill, will aim for around then. BTW there's a great sign for the race by Nutgrove shopping centre - looks good and keeps catching my eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Was running down the Khyber pass in the park on tuesday evening and a lad from sportsworld stopped and asked if I wanted to part-take in this race. What's the craic with registering on the day?

Was running down the Khyber pass in the park on tuesday evening and a lad from sportsworld stopped and asked if I wanted to part-take in this race. What's the craic with registering on the day?

What an original pick-up line :D

You can register in the morning at Terenure College from 8.30-10.30. Well over 1000 registered so it will be a good run.

There is an extra €5 (€25 total) charge for registration on the day. sorry don't make the rules :) But I'm happy to say at least €10 will go to Special Olympics

• Advertisement
Advertisement