Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to purchase pipe tobacco online

Options
  • 23-01-2012 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Firstly mods my apologies if this is in wrong place but couldn't find anything relating to pipe tobacco online sales. Please move to existing thread if one exists (couldn't find one using search function).

Can anyone recommend any online retailers of pipe tobacco, preferably based in Ireland? I tried Petersons website but online sales does not seem to be a service currently available. I'm in no rush otherwise I'd just head into the store (might still do that if this thread offers no solutions) but if I could get something delivered it would be perfect.

In particular, I am keen to check out the Mellow Virginia or Samson brands (Samson being my favorite roll up brand followed closely by GV). If you know of any (legit) websites please post details (if allowed). If not, no worries and thanks for reading.

Regards,

SteoL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

Try James Fox, I don't know if you will find what you are looking for, but they have a decent selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Woodsocks

Recieved my order of a new pipe and a tin of Deluxe from James Fox today. Smooth transaction. Cost 10 euro for postage but the way i look at it i would have cost me more to go to Dublin and collect it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

How can a tobacco supplier be sure that online purchasers are of legal age to purchase the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

They are selling to a credit card holder and I believe that you have to be 18 to get a credit card.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

How can a tobacco supplier be sure that online purchasers are of legal age to purchase the product?

Don't worry P, I'm 34 tomorrow so well within legal age for tobacco consumption.

Anyone ever tried 'Condor Ready Rubbed'? My local newsgents has 25G pouches of this.

• Advertisement

SteoL wrote: »
    Don't worry P, I'm 34 tomorrow so well within legal age for tobacco consumption.
    May you have a great birthday, and many more to follow!

I trust that you recognise that I wasn't challenging you, but raising a general issue.
    Anyone ever tried 'Condor Ready Rubbed'? My local newsgents has 25G pouches of this.
    Don't like Condor. It seems heavy and tarry. Your taste might differ. Have you tried Mellow Virginia? If I can't get good stuff, I make a mix of two parts Mellow Virginia to one part Clan. Those two tobaccos can be found in most towns in Ireland.

May you have a great birthday, and many more to follow!

I trust that you recognise that I wasn't challenging you, but raising a general issue.

Why thank you very much and don't worry I thought that it was a general observation you were making.

Don't like Condor. It seems heavy and tarry. Your taste might differ. Have you tried Mellow Virginia? If I can't get good stuff, I make a mix of two parts Mellow Virginia to one part Clan. Those two tobaccos can be found in most towns in Ireland.

I have been interested in trying mellow Virginia a while now but can't find it stocked anywhere local. On my next trip to DCC I'll pop onto Peterson to see if they have it. Clan is another I must try.

Is there a Samson variety of pipe tobacco? Another I'd like to try.

I don't know anything much about pipe smoking as i'm new to the experience but i am finding it harder and harder to buy cigs, they are not worth it. I said i'd try to ween myself off cigs (dirty things) and am only smoking about 6 a day now.

The 'problem' is that i enjoy smoke and don't want to completly give it up. So i decided to give the pipe a go. Got a Peterson system rustic 305 and a tin of deluxe mixture. So far so good, i'm breakin the pipe in slowly and said i'd get a decent tin of smoke to start with.

The deluxe mixture seems ok but i don't know, it might be a bit light for me. Does anyone know what Old Dublin is like ? Has it a more tabacco taste ? Will the very tiny bit of smoke i inhale have more of a kick than the deluxe mixture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I've never tried Foxes Deluxe, I'm assuming it's an aromatic .

Old Dublin certainly has an unflavoured strong tobacco taste, I like it myself.

Another personal favourite is Peterson's University Flake, nice Virginia taste with the slightest hint of blueberry

Seven Worlds will Collide

Sorry for misleading, it is a Peterson deluxe mixture that i got in Fox's and yes it is flavoured, maybe thats why i have doubts about it. I think a more traditional tabacco taste is for me. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Got some Mellow Virginia and also some Old Dublin. Will post the verdict later.

Got some Mellow Virginia and also some Old Dublin. Will post the verdict later.

Birthday pressies?

Birthday pressies?
    Yep though to myself ha ha. Hopefully get something nice off the other half tomorrow as they're working now.

The mellow Virginia is nice, will try the Old Dublin after my dinner tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've ordered from here before: http://pipe-shop.net/Shop/html_en/tobacco.htm

Good selection of pipes and such.

nesf wrote: »
    I've ordered from here before: http://pipe-shop.net/Shop/html_en/tobacco.htm

Good selection of pipes and such.

Thanks for that nesf, good site.

What do others make of these:

http://pipe-shop.net/Shop/cgi-bin/his-webshop.cgi?t=pipoo

???

Not for me I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Those crazy, crazy Germans... They so wacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

There is a YouTube post of them here May even give them a go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FreudianSlipOn

Gauntley's of Nottingham do a great selection of tobacco and pipes. They are Peterson's retailer of the year. I used to live there and would frequent them for their range of world tobaccos and pipes. Delivery to Ireland is £3.24. The prices are slightly cheaper than Dublin too. :)

Advertisement