Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

cormie wrote: »
    There's no way I'd depend on a phone app myself either, I'm sure it's great, but it's the effort, even that of simply turning on an app, that would eventually become too much of an every day task.
    if you are going to buy any of the standalone dash cams people have suggested here, there's no way you'll be able to leave it on the dash when the car is parked without it getting nicked (i.e. the same as a gps unit) so you'll have to keep it in the glove box or take it with you, which means the hassle of clipping it back into its mount and connecting the power every time you get into the car.

since you'll most likely already have a dash or windscreen mount and charger for your phone for hands free usage whilst driving you'll be putting that in anyway, it's no extra hassle to put your phone into a windscreen mount with a hole for the camera and plug in the charger, at which point the blackbox app can be set to detect this and start recording automatically (i.e. considerably less hassle than mounting a dash cam AND phone).

add to that the list cormie posted of 'essential' features which are ALL more than adequately covered (without exception or compromise) using the right blackbox phone app, inc. (depending on your phone) high quality recording up to 1080p and all the right boxes are ticked without wasting 50 to 100 quid or more on another unnecessary gadget stuck to your windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've had 4 DSR1100 units in 4 vehicles for the past 3 years or so and no problems so far, touch wood. Because of the way the DRS1100 is shaped, it goes at the top of the windscreen, slightly angled pointing down. I have mine right beside the rear view mirror so they don't stand out at all and would be quite difficult to notice.

It doesn't interfere with my view on the windscreen either in the position its in.

For myself personally, I feel a standalone unit is far better, even considering the fact I'm not the only driver and can't be relying on anyone who drives the vehicles to be plugging them in each time, and definitely not using an app on a phone :)

If you're not hopping in and out of different vehicles the whole time and don't drive too often then the phone apps would be a great and probably much better alternative to what's available out there. If you want to guarantee you'll always have the camera rolling though, I'd go with a standalone unit. Even for short trips of 5 minutes, if the novelty wears off, it's unlikely you'll bother hooking your phone up if you're in a hurry somewhere after seeing how rare it is to actually capture anything of importance, but it'd be just luck to not have it connected at this time. With a standalone, discreet unit, this isn't an issue :)

A phone app is definitely a great alternative though :)

the app i use didn't initially auto-record when i got it, but the app developer is very active and is adding features regularly based on user feedback and the auto-record is one of the many things that have been added in the year or so i've been using it.

i can see your point about the permanently fixed in unit tho, altho i do drive my motor 98% of the time, my wife sometimes uses it and doesn't have the same phone so can't use the windscreen mount.

there are occasionally times i don't put my phone in the mount, but it's a htc desire hd and the battery life isn't exactly stellar on them so most of the time it gets mounted and plugged in out of necessity if its more than a 5 minute journey. like you say tho, murphy's law will most likely see to it being one of those 5 min journeys that it's not in place when i actually need it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

Is there actually anyone in Ireland that professionally fits dashcams? Thinking of buying a Roadhawk so I am looking for a neat installation hard wired so works on ignition...

There's a boards user, thxireland, who's done work for me before with reversing cams and general auto electrics, he's good. I PM'd him just the other day as I'm having a problem with a head unit and I'm also looking to get the cams hardwired in, possibly so they are recording ALL the time, if battery allows it. Haven't heard back from him yet though and the numbers I have for him don't work, he's always getting new phones as he's gadget crazy!

could be a good man to know if i ever get my car pc project off the ground. :)

See you're in D15 vibe, he was in Blanchardstown the last time I talked to him so could be very handy contact for yourself, will hopefully hear from him soon anyway :)

just found him on facebook :P watch this space :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

smash wrote: »
    It's only €17.99... sample vid her looks ok for something so small http://www.channelgoods.com/products/4gb-mini-dv-dvr-sports-video-camera

I thought i stated they were 'sh**e' ?

I have one, if you really want to throw away money then buy one CHEAPER on ebay.

18 bills is too much for this rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Where can ya buy the Roadhawk?

looks like it's available from their website shop, but you'dneed to confirm they ship outsde of the UK.

http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/roadhawk-black-box-video-recording-systems/cat_2.html

interesting note on their website that says:
    "Crash for cash" incidents where fraudsters commit staged accidents to claim on other motorists insurance are at an all-time high. The Insurance Fraud Bureau (IFB) estimates more than 30,000 accidents were staged last year costing insurance companies around £350 million. All of these costs are passed back to the policy holder increasing their premiums on average by up to £44.00

This lorry driver was going about his daily driving when the car in front brakes hard causing him to collide in to his rear. On later inspection the insurance company involved deemed the video to be suspect and passed it on to the Police.

After a lengthy investigation the police have busted what they believe to be a possible crash for cash ring involving over 120 staged accidents in the last year, potentially totalling more than £3m of insurance fraud.

"We believe this to be a decoy rear end shunt in which two cars are involved. When the lorry driver pulls in to the left hand lane the Mercedes closes the gap between itself and the car in front. The VW Golf makes a sudden turn causing the Merc to brake hard. We think the Golf is used as a decoy to give the Merc the excuse of having to stop quickly".

This clearly demonstrates the advantage of having a RoadHawk forward facing GPS black box video camera to your vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

One I caught yesterday, Taxi nearly causes a pile up:rolleyes:

The car behind me very nearly rear ended me so it could have been good evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyCtaU6B5zQ&list=UUf2FXl96khtO_Jl43BrAzuA&index=1&feature=plcp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There's an Irish site!!!

http://www.roadhawk.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I got mine yesterday
    Done a quick dry run thismorning
    I'm using a 2g memory card , it's recording at 2 mins stages . Looks good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Can I take it from the number of new converts to the dash cam brotherhood, that we'll be seeing some Irish footage on http://dashcamcrash.com/ soon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Tallon wrote: »
    There's an Irish site!!!

http://www.roadhawk.ie/

I'm selling my RH2 that i very rarely used for about €70 less than them

weirdly enough i bought it for €350, less than the guys themselves.

anyway.

great system and all sorts - really does the biz very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I'm selling my RH2 that i very rarely used for about €70 less than them

weirdly enough i bought it for €350, less than the guys themselves.

anyway.

great system and all sorts - really does the biz very well.

So you're only knocking €50 off what you paid?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Well, it 'stands' him 350€:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056528260

for something i used about 3 times. yeah. and your saving €70 for nothing and getting the exact same product.
    Well, it 'stands' him 350€:D

eh ?

anyway its not about my pricing or my advert .... its about the fact these things are actually worth it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

robbie_998 wrote: »
    for something i used about 3 times. yeah. and your saving €70 for nothing and getting the exact same product.

eh ?

anyway its not about my pricing or my advert .... its about the fact these things are actually worth it !
    You don't get any warranty though

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    You don't get any warranty though

I have the receipt with it. will gladly give that too.

dont see why i wouldnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

I'd be much more in favour of making them put bluetooth in as standard. Much more important safety feature.

Come on.. car makers want to earn money money money! Greedy bastards you know.

There are very expensive options (hundreds if not thousands of euros!) on some new cars to get BT, GPS, HDD players etc..

Not a rocket science at all to have few tiny components and antennas + ie ARM processor + ie Android interface + few inch screen.. and I believe that overall cost shouldn't exceed ~100-200€ in reality. Well take Android tablets for example!

So yeah.. imagine having dash cam from the factory.. it would be called smthg like "SuperEYE road safety cam" with price tag of 500€ :mad:

vibe666 wrote: »
    could be a good man to know if i ever get my car pc project off the ground. :)

Any thread about this yet? how is it going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Well for me the main things are:

Continuous recording - continuously loops the recording over older footage.
    Emergency footage - instantly saves important footage such as a shock to the car (detected by G sensor), or when emergency button manually pressed, where it saves the previous and following footage before the incident to a file that will not be recorded over in the continuous loops process.
    G Sensor - Detects motion in the camera and allows the emergency saves
    GPS - Shows where you are
    Speed - Shows your speed (I'm not sure if this is possible with all models equipped with GPS ability?)
    12v connection - Will fit right into your car cigarette adaptor or can of course be hard-wired
    Discreet - Won't stick out to would be thieves

These to me are the most important features and I wouldn't buy anything without any of the above.

The DRS1100/Roadhawk meets all the above, but the quality could be a lot better.

The link Davy provided above shows a lot of products, some of the footage looks very good quality wise but I'm not sure if any of them have all of the above features?

I would add to the list,which otherwise is more than adequate for what we need:

-High Definition recording (720/1080)
    -internal microphone ,optional ?
    -car colour/number plate identification on playback (not sure how that works,but possible duable as if it has HD 1080)
    -usb interface so it can be 'seen' directly from the PC
    -user friendly software for playback and GPS mapping
    -very wide,ultra wide front lens angle
    -back lens for recording from sides/back while driving,also driver reaction/position
    -built-in battery to keep it going for few hours
    -auto start/pause/stop,based on voltage signal command coming from cigarette adaptor

-pric€ ?!!

So far,this one or this one does all the above !?

freestyla wrote: »
    Any thread about this yet? how is it going?
    no, most likely won't be for a while now either. :( our baby was sick in the new year and my wife has decided to take extended (unpaid) time on maternity leave to spend more time with him as a result.

still, it's one of the joys of parenthood, sacrificing all your time, money and dreams in favour of looking after little people. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

rolion wrote: »

Hmm, interesting.
    The one I bought that was mentioned on here is allegedly 720p but, while the resolution is correct, whatever way it's encoded (or not encoded if it's raw?) makes it look pretty sh!te imo.
    Daytime.. it's ok but you can't make out reg's unless they're 1m in front of car.
    Nighttime... absolutely hopeless.

But these looks pretty decent for 1080p.

if you have an android or iphone, there are apps you can get that will use your phone as a dash cam and combine the feed with audio, GPS and accelerometer info as well and record in whatever the highest video quality your phone will record in.

the best bit being that you already have the hardware, so you just need to buy the software which is a couple of quid, or you can usually get a trial or limited functionality version for free.

with my htc desire hd that means 720p recording with sound, and i can set it to only buffer the video and not save it unless the accelerometer detects i have an accident, or i press the manual save button which will save the previous 20 minutes of video and the next 5 minutes after the record button was pressed.

my only other purchase was a windscreen mount for my phone with a hole for the camera (which I guess you could even drill out yourself in a pinch) for about 3-4 quid off ebay.

so assuming you already have the phone, you can have a dash cam with up to HD recording (depending on the phone) for less than a tenner. :)

the one i use on android is called AutoGuard Blackbox if anyone is interested.

and that's the other thing, you can still turn off the screen with mine and even if you don't it looks like a phone or GPS (because it is). you can have the screen off or on and just have it recording in the background and leave the main phone desktop showing with a tiny icon up in the notification area. :)
    I use DailyRoads Voyager.

It has all the features I need including looping, sound recording, gps/speed etc. Also has a great feature that if it detects a preset g-force it will automatically save the video. You can also set how long the looping will be. I have mine set to 5 minutes. As you said I got a nice small mount which is great (This is the mount, took less than 2 weeks to get to me!!). Only cost around 4 euro!

It has all the features I need including looping, sound recording, gps/speed etc. Also has a great feature that if it detects a preset g-force it will automatically save the video. You can also set how lons the looping will be. I have mine set to 5 minutes. As you said I got a nice small mount which is great (This is the mount, took less than 2 weeks to get to me!!). Only cost around 4 euro!

Looks really nice!
    Anything like that for iPhone? :) It's not in the app market as far as I can see.

Vertakill wrote: »
    Looks really nice!
    Anything like that for iPhone? :) It's not in the app market as far as I can see.
    A quick google search came up with this: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcam/id396087757?mt=8

Have a search for "dashcam" in the market ;)

A quick google search came up with this: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcam/id396087757?mt=8

Have a search for "dashcam" in the market ;)

Ahh fair play to you. I saw that but didn't realise it had GPS! D'oh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

It has all the features I need including looping, sound recording, gps/speed etc. Also has a great feature that if it detects a preset g-force it will automatically save the video. You can also set how long the looping will be. I have mine set to 5 minutes. As you said I got a nice small mount which is great (This is the mount, took less than 2 weeks to get to me!!). Only cost around 4 euro!

How does it work at night on dark roads with and without street lighting? It installs onto an IPhone does it or its an actual piece like a GPS?

rolion wrote: »
    I would add to the list,which otherwise is more than adequate for what we need:

-High Definition recording (720/1080)
    -internal microphone ,optional ?
    -car colour/number plate identification on playback (not sure how that works,but possible duable as if it has HD 1080)
    -usb interface so it can be 'seen' directly from the PC
    -user friendly software for playback and GPS mapping
    -very wide,ultra wide front lens angle
    -back lens for recording from sides/back while driving,also driver reaction/position
    -built-in battery to keep it going for few hours
    -auto start/pause/stop,based on voltage signal command coming from cigarette adaptor

-pric€ ?!!

I don't know, there's so many on the market now you wouldn't know what's actually a quality product and what's a cheap knock-off. As was mentioned above, one was said to be 720p but you can only make reg's out if they are right in front of you, this is the same as mine and mine is nowhere near 720 so I wouldn't be going on an upgrade binge unless I knew it was a quality replacement. Again to mark points mine already have against your list:

-High Definition recording (720/1080) (nope, but 720 doesn't seem to make any difference as posted above)
    -internal microphone ,optional ? (yep, records your voice and any other sounds)
    -car colour/number plate identification on playback (not sure how that works,but possible duable as if it has HD 1080) (I guess an ANPR type camera could scan the plate but this would probably cost thousands? Best way I can be sure of a recorded plate is to say it out loud a few times clearly so I know the audio recording catches it)
    -usb interface so it can be 'seen' directly from the PC (SD is just the same really, plugs directly in)
    -user friendly software for playback and GPS mapping has
    -very wide,ultra wide front lens angle has
    -back lens for recording from sides/back while driving,also driver reaction/position (only has the one lense but all the vehicles I have this fitted to you can't see out the back anyway, of course it would be nice getting all different angles)
    -built-in battery to keep it going for few hours (can run off car battery no problem I'm told with a hardwire and wouldn't drain it for a long long time)
    -auto start/pause/stop,based on voltage signal command coming from cigarette adaptor (don't see the use in this really, continuous recording would be best I think)

Until there's a big improvement I think I'll just stick with the DRS1100. Also a big reason I went for this is because I saw a video which appeared to have Chinese police using the same units in their patrol cars and presenting a video on it so I knew it must have been a tried and tested product.

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    How does it work at night on dark roads with and without street lighting? It installs onto an IPhone does it or its an actual piece like a GPS?

DailyRoads Voyager is application for Android phones, it's not separate GPS device if you asked that.. iPhone app is DashCam

Some night shots with Voyager but it's recorded with Asus A50 (=not so powerfull phone) and seems to be slow picture but in city lights good enough brightness i would say

Here with Samsung Galaxy looks faster/smoother recording

no, most likely won't be for a while now either. :( our baby was sick in the new year and my wife has decided to take extended (unpaid) time on maternity leave to spend more time with him as a result.

still, it's one of the joys of parenthood, sacrificing all your time, money and dreams in favour of looking after little people. :)

Yep first things first right.

If you doing something, give me a shout bud, i'm in Blanch too and interested to share ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is anyone using a go pro or similar for this? Not ideal, since they won't loop the recording. But the quality would be top notch, and with a large card you could get maybe 7/8 hours out of one. I have a Drift HD170, and I have a car mount on order. So I'll report back on how it looks. But the image quality is superb, when using it outdoors, so it should look good in the car too.

freestyla wrote: »
    Here with Samsung Galaxy looks faster/smoother recording

that looks decent enough, can ALMOST make out the reg of the car on the right hand side at the lights too. I think there's going to be a compromise when using a wide lens too? It captures more but makes what it captures a little distorted, such as plates and thus hard to read.
    Is anyone using a go pro or similar for this? Not ideal, since they won't loop the recording. But the quality would be top notch, and with a large card you could get maybe 7/8 hours out of one. I have a Drift HD170, and I have a car mount on order. So I'll report back on how it looks. But the image quality is superb, when using it outdoors, so it should look good in the car too.

If GO Pro is the one used by bikers, snowboarders etc which I've seen before it looked brilliant, if there was something similar quality wise with the blackbox features of loop/GPS and those mentioned above I'd be interested.

t

If GO Pro is the one used by bikers, snowboarders etc which I've seen before it looked brilliant, if there was something similar quality wise with the blackbox features of loop/GPS and those mentioned above I'd be interested.

Yeah GoPro are the ones used in action sports/helmet cams. The Drift HD170 is the same deal, i have it strapped to my helmet on the bike.

There's one similar to the GoPro with GPS, but i doubt it has loop back functionality. You'd just have to have a 32GB card, which would get a fair few 720p hours worth.

Yeah, guess I'll be waiting for a blackbox type go pro quality before considering spending money on an upgrade myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What kind of mount/holder would work best for a Samsung Galaxy S 2. I was impressed by the video above and downloaded the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

johngalway wrote: »
    What kind of mount/holder would work best for a Samsung Galaxy S 2. I was impressed by the video above and downloaded the app.

Herbert Richter(See you at the party!). Made in Germany, high quality.

http://www.holdersandmounts.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s2-galaxy-s-ii-windscreen-suction-swivel-mount-in-car-holder.html

http://www.holdersandmounts.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-sii-galaxy-s2-in-car-holder-herbert-richter-suction-mount-1767.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Blackbox FX for iOS, free for a limited in iTunes, you guys should grab it while it's free. It's like DailyRoads Voyager with cyclic recording/looping, g-force detection, etc...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blackbox-fx/id443116406?mt=8

Yeah, guess I'll be waiting for a blackbox type go pro quality before considering spending money on an upgrade myself :)

Aye, they're too expensive in their current form anyway, i bought mine as a helmet cam primarily. Picked up a dash mount just for the hell of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yeah GoPro are the ones used in action sports/helmet cams. The Drift HD170 is the same deal, i have it strapped to my helmet on the bike.

There's one similar to the GoPro with GPS, but i doubt it has loop back functionality. You'd just have to have a 32GB card, which would get a fair few 720p hours worth.

Have you heard of this one -ContourGPS
    http://contour.com/products/contour-gps

Looks the part just wondering is it any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Have you heard of this one -ContourGPS
    http://contour.com/products/contour-gps

Looks the part just wondering is it any good.

AFAIK these are what's used to record in-car footage around mondello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Seems reasonable at night too... anyone else see a meteorite at 8:40 ????
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Had a bit of craic yesterday.

Basically a truck saw me and pulled out in front of me so I gave the obligitory make it difficult for him (I really don't like truck drivers) There's a wee thud as I drive around him which is him punching the back of my car. He wasn't quite expecting what he got when I stepped out of the car raring to go.

He eventually backed down and apologised as did I. :D

I'm generally NOT the type of person who enjoys conflict but punching the back of my car? Seriously? Is he 6 ??

I didn't get my mount:mad: Still in the post.

Might just tape it to the dash! I'll post up a video of the quality later on. I don't know if the super wide angle lens on mine is a good thing or not for a driving camera...

MugMugs wrote: »
    Had a bit of craic yesterday.

Basically a truck saw me and pulled out in front of me so I gave the obligitory make it difficult for him (I really don't like truck drivers) There's a wee thud as I drive around him which is him punching the back of my car. He wasn't quite expecting what he got when I stepped out of the car raring to go.

He eventually backed down and apologised as did I. :D

I'm generally NOT the type of person who enjoys conflict but punching the back of my car? Seriously? Is he 6 ??

Song? you're an ass by the way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Song? you're an ass by the way :D

No idea. Was on the wireless and wasn't really listening. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Haven't gone throught this whole thread, but this might be a cheap option:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-HD-DV-key-chain-Camera-Recorder-DVR-Video-1280x720/160546966106?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&category=48634&cmd=ViewItem

Coupled with a decent size sd card, it will go for 40 minutes on a charge or 2 hours+ pluged into the cig lighter.

( ^^^^ Not me) But I do own one, and it works a treat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement