Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting laptop to TV

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Apologies for the basic and stupid question but I'm trying to figure out how to connect my laptop to my TV for watching TV series and movies.

I've got a Samsung HDTV. Here's a picture of all the ports at the back:

bazhb.jpg

And I'll be connecting it to either a Macbook Pro or a Dell Inspiron 6400.

Can anyone advise on the best cable to get to connect?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TomFahy

I'm trying to connect also. I'm using the PC in but cannot get any pic and the connection input remains ghosted on the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

HDMI will be the best way and probably the easiest. The macbook will need an adapter and I dont know about the dell whether it has a hdmi or not but I would assume its old enough and that it hasn't got one.If I were in you position I would use the macbook for all my streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

TomFahy wrote: »
    I'm trying to connect also. I'm using the PC in but cannot get any pic and the connection input remains ghosted on the TV

did you either extend the desktop onto the TV or set the TV as the monitor from the display settings (control panel)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

conf101 wrote: »
    Apologies for the basic and stupid question but I'm trying to figure out how to connect my laptop to my TV for watching TV series and movies.

I've got a Samsung HDTV. Here's a picture of all the ports at the back:

bazhb.jpg

And I'll be connecting it to either a Macbook Pro or a Dell Inspiron 6400.

Can anyone advise on the best cable to get to connect?

Cheers

For the dell you will need two cables, a vga to vga cable like this which goes in the pc in port above

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-MALE-MALE-SVGA-VGA-PC-MONITOR-TFT-CABLE-LEAD-/290457055240?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item43a096f008

This only carries the video though, so you will also need a headphone to headphone i.e 3.5 to 3.5 jack. This goes in the headphone socket on the dell and the pc/dvi audio in port in the pic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-3-5mm-Gold-Jack-iPod-Lead-AUX-input-Wire-Cable-/170755054558?pt=UK_CE_MP3Access_RL&hash=item27c1cb5bde

Try to get both cables the same length so the audio doesnt go out of sync but you should be ok regardless. you can the the cables in any power city or pc store.

Finally once its connected the you will need to go into the display properties while the laptop is connect and change to the best resolution, probably 1366 x 768or higher.

This method is the cheapest, if the mac doesnt have hdmi (dont think any macs do but could be wrong?) it will cost you a fortune with adaptor cables, the dell will be the easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

For the Macbook, just get a display port to HDMI cable. Have a 3m one and it works a treat. Something like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Premium-Apple-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B005IT1X9K/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1327012945&sr=8-34

Lots more on Amazon in different lengths

• Advertisement
Advertisement