Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminology/Forensic Psychology

Options
  • 11-01-2012 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi guys

Sorry if this has been asked before, if it has please delete.

I am currently applying to study criminology, my primary degree is not in psychology however.

I'm confused though, is criminology more or less the same as forensic psychology or would you have to have a psychology degree first to become a forensic psychologist.

Is it possible to become a forensic psychologist with an MA in criminology.

Would I be better off studying psychology.

Thanks in advance for all answers, I know ye folks are the people that will know the answer to this question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 elfan

Hi Tekken,
    In criminology you study crime, whereas in forensic psychology you study the criminal mind. To become a forensic psychologist you need to do an undergard degree in psychology first. You then proceed to study forensic psychology at postgrad level. You can do a conversion course to get your primary degree recognised as being equivalent to a psychology degree. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tekken

elfan wrote: »
    Hi Tekken,
    In criminology you study crime, whereas in forensic psychology you study the criminal mind. To become a forensic psychologist you need to do an undergard degree in psychology first. You then proceed to study forensic psychology at postgrad level. You can do a conversion course to get your primary degree recognised as being equivalent to a psychology degree. Cheers.

Thanks elfin for the reply.

Do yourself or anyone know if the UCC Diploma in Psychology of Criminal Behaviour is a good course and worth doing.
    Thanks for all and any answers

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Humria

There is some information in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55189397

Advertisement