Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App locates missing Runner

Options
  • 10-01-2012 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

A MOBILE phone app was used to find a man lost in the vast Wicklow mountain range so he could be rescued. The long distance runner got lost after losing his GPS device. But Dublin and Wicklow Mountain Rescue texted the man a link which opened up a mobile app on his phone. This app quickly determined his location and the man was soon rescued.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

JosDel wrote: »
    A MOBILE phone app was used to find a man lost in the vast Wicklow mountain range so he could be rescued. The long distance runner got lost after losing his GPS device. But Dublin and Wicklow Mountain Rescue texted the man a link which opened up a mobile app on his phone. This app quickly determined his location and the man was soon rescued.

He was recce'ing for the Art O'Neill Challenge. Shows you the importance of a map and compass.

C'mon, fess up, who was it?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

My thoughts exactly I think we all know had to have been one of the lunatic Billy goats here (You were one of my main suspects:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ha Ha, I was wondering if it was someone from the main thread when I read this last night. And like ecoli you did cross my mind after reading about all your reccies only I know that you probably don't use one of those new fangled electrically operated GPS machines. Says a lot for an old fashioned compass strung around your neck with a bit of string.

The software mountain rescue have at their disposal sounds quite impressive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

ThisRegard wrote: »

The software mountain rescue have at their disposal sounds quite impressive though.

I think you can set the mapmyrun app to show your live position - might be just a more advance version of something like that.

Advertisement