Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Republican Hopefuls and their Irish Roots

Options
  • 06-01-2012 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

I've compiled this:

Mitt Romney
    • None

Newt Gingrich
    • Scotch- Irish stock according to biography, but census info shows no “off-the-boat” Irish as far back as 8 generations at which point there is no further info
    Source: The gentleman from Georgia: the biography of Newt Gingrich

Rick Santorum
    • Mother is half-Irish and half-Italian (source wiki)
    • But he claims Italian roots exclusively

Ron Paul
    • His great grandmother, Margaret Dumont is Irish, landed in New York, worked as a house keeper.
    http://www.mentormob.com//learn/i/2012-gop-republican-candidate-ron-paul/ancestry-of-ron-paul

Rick Perry
    • None

John Huntsman

• None

Please challenge anything I've stated, or add more if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

....and this is relevant??

As far as I'm concerned, they're just American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

PA-10387153-390x285.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Isn't it amazing how a portion of the American electorate actually care about this sort of stuff when casting their vote...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Isn't it amazing how a portion of the American electorate actually care about this sort of stuff when casting their vote...

Makes them as bad as the Irish electorate then :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sometimes I hate the Irish
    really, this is a constant source of wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

What is the OP's view on this?

Does it matter when selecting a candidate, or not?

Me - I certainly couldn't give a rats ass. If a candidate who was related Hitler popped up, but who I felt was honest and forward thinking, I would give that person a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Do they really care about it though? It seems to be the Irish media that makes the biggest deal of it, easy column inches and all that.

What is the OP's view on this?

Does it matter when selecting a candidate, or not?

Me - I certainly couldn't give a rats ass. If a candidate who was related Hitler popped up, but who I felt was honest and forward thinking, I would give that person a vote.

I wouldn't read into it to much, but with that said I'd be very excited if one of them was the son/daughter of parents from cork etc

People's roots are a massive deal in the US, it provides Ireland with a huge amount of our tourism and gets us a word in the US presidents ear at least once a year. JFK is one of my personal heroes so I might be a little emotional about the point :)

Overal the Irish vote is nowhere near as important as the black vote which transcends many nationalities as does the latino vote. But I would argue that an Irish vote does exist, it just won't be activated in a polarised fashion in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Well, in Ron Paul's case, his 'roots' go back to his great grand mother, so minor at best. He does not strike me as the type of guy who would capitalise on it.

Again - apart from JFK - I think other Presidents who made a big deal about their Irish ancestry did so for political reasons, and not borne out of any great affinity or understanding of our country.

There should be no such thing as an Irish vote, these days. People born and bred in America are Americans, first and foremost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Paul to one side, Id rather not be related to any of those loons.

• Advertisement

There should be no such thing as an Irish vote, these days. People born and bred in America are Americans, first and foremost.

Unless theyre Israeli... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

RichieC wrote: »

I believe that Obama also got 90% of the descendants from Africa vote.

Yahew wrote: »

Cant really fault them for that tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

95% actually :p

Because McCain/Bush/Palin were idiots or because Obama was black?

95% actually :p

Because McCain/Bush/Palin were idiots or because Obama was black?

Well both. I was really hiping to see the first AA president and im not black. So I can only imagine how they felt to see it. Especially those old enough to remember the jim crow laws.

Typically the republicans tried to make hay from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

how is this relevant

how is this relevant
    Because we live in Ireland and a person with Irish blood might become president of the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

spagboll wrote: »
    I've compiled this:

Mitt Romney
    • None

Newt Gingrich
    • Scotch- Irish stock according to biography, but census info shows no “off-the-boat” Irish as far back as 8 generations at which point there is no further info
    Source: The gentleman from Georgia: the biography of Newt Gingrich

Rick Santorum
    • Mother is half-Irish and half-Italian (source wiki)
    • But he claims Italian roots exclusively

Ron Paul
    • His great grandmother, Margaret Dumont is Irish, landed in New York, worked as a house keeper.
    http://www.mentormob.com//learn/i/2012-gop-republican-candidate-ron-paul/ancestry-of-ron-paul

Rick Perry
    • None

John Huntsman

• None

Please challenge anything I've stated, or add more if possible

What's the roots on Michelle Bachmann if it could be of any interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yes you can.

It's racist.

They voted for Obaman beacuse he , like them, is black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

spagboll wrote: »
    Because we live in Ireland and a person with Irish blood might become president of the USA.

Obama has irish roots and that hasn't made the slightest difference to his policy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

What's the roots on Michelle Bachmann if it could be of any interest?

Irish (and a Dub) to the core. Male ancestor was kidnapped by Vikings during a raid on Moore St in 796 AD. He lived to be 333 years old and (after rising through the ranks in Viking sailing) was put ashore on Greenland soil by Eric The Red in 987 after an argument about whether St Brendan had been there earlier. He then slowly made his way to the shores of Lake Wobegone where his exploits has been chronicled by Garrison Keillor in A Prarie Home Companion. Here, all the women are strong, all the men are goodlooking and all the kids are overachievers. Google for more info :D

We all shouted "Go Michelle Go" ........... and she went :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Spread wrote: »
    Irish (and a Dub) to the core. Male ancestor was kidnapped by Vikings during a raid on Moore St in 796 AD. He lived to be 333 years old and (after rising through the ranks in Viking sailing) was put ashore on Greenland soil by Eric The Red in 987 after an argument about whether St Brendan had been there earlier. He then slowly made his way to the shores of Lake Wobegone where his exploits has been chronicled by Garrison Keillor in A Prarie Home Companion. Here, all the women are strong, all the men are goodlooking and all the kids are overachievers. Google for more info :D

We all shouted "Go Michelle Go" ........... and she went :p

Did you get that on Google or make up some of that stuff? I tried to look her up irish roots on Google and it is not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

yes you can.

It's racist.

How is it racist? :confused:

Blacks overwhelmingly vote Democrat (over 80%), especially in national elections. Throw in the ethnic pride element, and the 90%+ support for Obama is understandable.

To look at this another way, do you really think that Herman Cain would have such high levels of black support? Doubtful.

The only black Republican that would give blacks pause to consider voting GOP is Colin Powell - and that was before he fell on his sword for the Dubya administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

yes you can.

It's racist.

90% of black voters voted for Al Gore in 2000. 85% for Bill Clinton in 1996.

Polls and analysis have shown that in US House, Senate, and State elections over the past 20 years the black electorate has many times voted 90% + for Democratic candidates and the trend has been steadily upwards. Therefore you might want to dispose of that racist talking point.

It's a tribute to the political awareness of black America that they vote for what they view as their own economic interests. That despite being religious and conservative they haven't fallen for the nonsense "culture wars." It shows a basic understanding of politics that many lack.

What, on the other hand, can be said of impoverished, white, Appalachia that was the only region in the country to swing towards the Republicans in 2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Exile 1798 wrote: »
    90% of black voters voted for Al Gore in 2000. 85% for Bill Clinton in 1996.

Polls and analysis have shown that in US House, Senate, and State elections over the past 20 years the black electorate has many times voted 90% + for Democratic candidates and the trend has been steadily upwards. Therefore you might want to dispose of that racist talking point.

It's a tribute to the political awareness of black America that they vote for what they view as their own economic interests. That despite being religious and conservative they haven't fallen for the nonsense "culture wars." It shows a basic understanding of politics that many lack.

What, on the other hand, can be said of impoverished, white, Appalachia that was the only region in the country to swing towards the Republicans in 2008?

I hate all this voting for their interests rubbish. It's insulting to republicans and to democracy, and in your case it's quite anti-white. If it's in their interests to vote democrat, then why are their unemployment numbers going up under Obama?

matthew8 wrote: »
    I hate all this voting for their interests rubbish. It's insulting to republicans and to democracy, and in your case it's quite anti-white. If it's in their interests to vote democrat, then why are their unemployment numbers going up under Obama?

How is it anti-white? The vast majority of politicians in the US are still white. And people vote their interests all of the time - the elderly, exporters, Christian conservatives, etc.

Blacks vote Democrat because Democrats under LBJ pushed civil rights legislation through the Congress that finally gave them full political citizenship in the US. Prior to WWII, most blacks who could vote (and Southern blacks during Reconstruction) voted Republican because Republicans under Lincoln ended slavery. It's pretty straightforward actully; I don't understand all the handwringing over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

How is it anti-white? The vast majority of politicians in the US are still white. And people vote their interests all of the time - the elderly, exporters, Christian conservatives, etc.

Blacks vote Democrat because Democrats under LBJ pushed civil rights legislation through the Congress that finally gave them full political citizenship in the US. Prior to WWII, most blacks who could vote (and Southern blacks during Reconstruction) voted Republican because Republicans under Lincoln ended slavery. It's pretty straightforward actully; I don't understand all the handwringing over this.

The poster was basically called white people idiots for swinging towards the republicans, compared to the black geniuses who vote democrat.

matthew8 wrote: »
    The poster was basically called white people idiots for swinging towards the republicans, compared to the black geniuses who vote democrat.

Ok I still don't see how it was anti-white. If people vote their interests, and West Virginia has voted Democrat (pro-unions, which is important in coal mining country; pro-New Deal legislation), then why magically do they vote GOP in 2008, who are anti-union and anti-New Deal legislation? That would very much appear to be voting against their interests. And for the black population, voting Dem is voting for the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How is it racist?

Blacks overwhelmingly vote Democrat (over 80%), especially in national elections. Throw in the ethnic pride element, and the 90%+ support for Obama is understandable.

To look at this another way, do you really think that Herman Cain would have such high levels of black support? Doubtful.

The only black Republican that would give blacks pause to consider voting GOP is Colin Powell - and that was before he fell on his sword for the Dubya administration.

What exactly is ethnic pride ?

For example can a white persons support for the only white runner in an Olympic 100m final be put down to ethnic pride or racism ?

If Herman Cain was the first black candidate to contest a presidential race then I would expect a swing of black votes towards him.

I totally agree that blacks traditionally vote Dem, but you have to look at the turnout.

In 2008 turnout amongst black voters increased by almost 5%, which leads me to believe that some blacks came out a voted just because there was a black man to vote for.

It would be naive to think otherwise.

It will be interesting to see what 2012 brings, will the novelty have worn off ?.
    Ok I still don't see how it was anti-white. If people vote their interests, and West Virginia has voted Democrat (pro-unions, which is important in coal mining country; pro-New Deal legislation), then why magically do they vote GOP in 2008, who are anti-union and anti-New Deal legislation? That would very much appear to be voting against their interests. And for the black population, voting Dem is voting for the lesser of two evils.

Interesting points but totally flawed beacuse it's BS

Here is the WV election breakdown for the past few presidential elections

R = 56%, D = 43%

R= 56%, D= 43%

R= 52%, D =46 %

I am failing to see that swing to the GOP in 2008

• Advertisement

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }

What exactly is ethnic pride ?

White ethnics until the mid 20th century were seen as distinct groups: Irish, Poles, Italians, etc. These groups were traditionally excluded from national institutions of power which were traditionally the provence of white, Anglo-Saxon Protestants (WASPS). Although you could really say the same for any minority group: women and Catholics, for example. Italians were proud when Fiorello La Guardia was elected mayor of New York, Catholics were proud of Al Smith and later JFK, etc., largely because when these men were elected to office, there was a living memory of those ethnic/religious groups being excluded from power.
    If Herman Cain was the first black candidate to contest a presidential race then I would expect a swing of black votes towards him.

I totally agree that blacks traditionally vote Dem, but you have to look at the turnout.

In 2008 turnout amongst black voters increased by almost 5%, which leads me to believe that some blacks came out a voted just because there was a black man to vote for.

It would be naive to think otherwise.

It will be interesting to see what 2012 brings, will the novelty have worn off ?.

That report notes that the bump in black turnout was in Southern regions with large black populations - i.e. Blacks who would be inclined to vote Democratic, but who generally may not vote because they live in Republican-dominated areas. So, yes, I would think that there would be a significant increase in black voter turnout in the Deep South, given that a) blacks in this region only got the right to vote within living memory, and b) no black person who grew up in the Deep South in the Jim Crow era could ever imagine that they would live to see the day when a black man would be elected president of the United States. Obama wasn't 'just' a black man they could vote for, he was a black man who had a broad base of support and could plausibly win the election (i.e. he wasn't Al Sharpton, someone running just to raise their media profile).

I still don't get what the issue is with more blacks turning out to elect a black man who was at the top of the ticket for the party they would usually vote for anyway, especially given the political and social history of blacks in the U.S.

Interesting points but totally flawed beacuse it's BS

Here is the WV election breakdown for the past few presidential elections

R = 56%, D = 43%

R= 56%, D= 43%

R= 52%, D =46 %

I am failing to see that swing to the GOP in 2008

Oh, I was assuming that the previous poster was correct about there being a swing. I didn't know the presidential figures, but until recently, WV had two Democrats for their Senators.

Advertisement