Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EDT in less than 6 months?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

EDIT* I meant the thread title to be EDT in less than 6 months?

Hi I got my provisional in August and I was intending on doing the 12 lessons over january...however I just found out that the RSA "reccomend" 2 weeks between every lesson.
    Spread lessons over six months
    If you combine practice, study and instruction you will have the best chance of meeting the expected outcomes of the EDT programme. This is why we recommend that you should take at least six months to complete the 12 EDT lessons.

Is it in fact a rule or can I just ignore it and get the 12 lessons in Jan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

You can do them in 12 days if you like. It's recommended to leave a gap between lessons but if you need to do them quickly it's not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The RSA are only recommending people take an EDT lesson every 2 weeks. Therefore you can take lessons every day if you want! So yes you can ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

brian076 wrote: »
    You can do them in 12 days if you like. It's recommended to leave a gap between lessons but if you need to do them quickly it's not a problem.
    Faith+1 wrote: »
    The RSA are only recommending people take an EDT lesson every 2 weeks. Therefore you can take lessons every day if you want! So yes you can ignore it.

Thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes, it's definitely only a recommendation, you can take them at whatever pace you need to. Once a week would probably be fine, but I'd definitely advise getting in as much practice between lessons as possible with your accompanied driver, as this will allow you to make faster progress during the actual lessons.

I've fixed the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Yes, it's definitely only a recommendation, you can take them at whatever pace you need to. Once a week would probably be fine, but I'd definitely advise getting in as much practice between lessons as possible with your accompanied driver, as this will allow you to make faster progress during the actual lessons.

To be honest I wont be able to afford getting insured on the parents car for that long so I'll have to do the lessons quickly, I'm in college at the moment and due to the crappy expensive slow bus eireann service I'm home once a fortnight...so getting insured would be a complete waste. I'll get more lessons before getting the test alright but I want to get the logbook finished and out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Everyone learns differently which is something that's often forgotten in all terms of education. I had 7-8 lessons in the first week when I was learning to drive, and after that I went out and practiced until the week before my test where I got a few more lessons to polish up and ditch any bad habits. I've always felt that the way I did it was right for me, but it might not be right for someone else. So I suppose the right way to do it is the way that suits you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Philipandson

i agree with challengemaster, everyone learns at there own pace, but u can take the EDT Lessons as quick or as slow as you choose.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Everyone learns differently which is something that's often forgotten in all terms of education. I had 7-8 lessons in the first week when I was learning to drive, and after that I went out and practiced until the week before my test where I got a few more lessons to polish up and ditch any bad habits. I've always felt that the way I did it was right for me, but it might not be right for someone else. So I suppose the right way to do it is the way that suits you :)

I know that everybody learns differently, I just found that when I was learning the marginal productivity of lessons was higher when I was practicing in between, so that I could 'master' the skills for the next lesson - e.g. first lesson learning basic car control and road position, spend a few hours with accompanied driver practicing driving on quiet roads, getting used to car control - by the next lesson I'd be quite efficient at that, so we could move onto new things like urban driving, roundabouts, etc., and the instructor wouldn't spend the time correcting me on clutch control, gears, or road position.

But as you say, everybody learns differently, and I can see some definite benefits from the way you did it, especially that the first 'block' of lessons would give you a very good knowledge of nearly all aspects of driving (except motorway driving and things that aren't on the test), so when you get to the 'practicing' stage you aren't unintentionally practicing bad habits, and the last block of lessons would be just basic fine tuning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Slightly off-topic, but do the EDT lessons assume you know how to drive from the start?
    I just rang up a centre, and they said that if you're a learner(can't drive), that I should take 2 or 3 learning lessons first, before I start into the 12 EDT lessons.

I would have assumed the 12 lessons would have taken you from beginner to accomplished driver ? I drove about 10 times several years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Philipandson

with the EDT whether or not you have experience or the syllabus is the same no matter what, The RSA had recommendedthat you take 3 hours practice before you start your first lesson with your adi, even though lesson 1 is really just car controls and how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

the thing to remember about EDT is that the modules are really not so much lessons as people might think, but a standard that is being set by the RSA that must be achieved for each module. its not too easy to explain to people as the perceived view is that they are 12 lessons and thats it!! not the case!!

but like everything else regarding learning to drive, its all dependent on each person skills and learning capabilities. and of course the ADI involved, AND the sponsor!!

ed

Advertisement