Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleepless nights and the National Series......

Options
  • 02-01-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Going to give this log a blast and hopefully will continue with it throughout the year.

We are expecting baby number 2 in a few weeks so hence the reference to sleepless nights.
    Looking for inspiration and more importantly a good kick up the arrivederci from you guys when I start to slack off :D

Anyway, here we are on the first day of 2012 so time to start executing the plans to achieve the goals for the year.
    My goals for 2012 are,

1. Race National Series and achieve top 25 in age group (35-39 this year). (Will keep a keen eye on this once season starts)
    2. Focus on swimming. Really need to get this in check.
    3. Achieve 80% of sessions - Plus stick to plan rather than ad hoc sessions
    4. Achieve desired race weight of 71kg. A lot of kg to lose after the Christmas binge

Since the disaster that was the 2011 DCM, training has been very ad hoc and spurious. Needless to say it has been at a minimum also.

Plan is due to kick in tomorrow, but I decided to start the new year as I mean to go on.

Today's session

Turbo - 40 mins. TACX aerobic BRA 3

Avg HR - 147
    Max HR - 173
    Avg Cad - 93
    Max Cad - 151 (Spin ups)

Core Exercises

Sit ups, oblique crunches, side plank, plank, superman and pressups

Need to focus a lot on core stability and flexibility for this season.

Hope people take the time to read and offer advice. Any/All advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey NT best of luck with the log :) How do you currently fare in your AG in NS races?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck with it NT

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Thanks MCOS and Jackyback.

@MCOS, Last year I race 4 NS. In 3 of them I finished top 20 in AG. In the 4th, I finished well down the field but that was due to stopping on numerous occasions to get sick. Practically walked the last 5km of the run as a result.

Looking back on last years results, maybe a top 20 should be more of a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Trainings flying here. Knew you were on here somewhere but didn't know where you were hiding. There's an ambulance chaser mug in my house for you!

Now, give us a training update.

I suppose it would help to provide an update here every now and again.

Monday 2nd

This was my first run since the marathon, the longest I have gone without running since the 'fat' days. Plan for the next few weeks is just to run and find my running legs again. Then put more of a structure around the run training.

First 4 km felt ok but legs felt heavy from then on in and remained sore for a while afterwards.

Total - 7.05 in 33:55

Core exercises - Following this plan at the moment http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486 .

Weight watch - Heavy, definitely over indulged over Christmas - 79.9kg

Tuesday 3rd

Back in work - aargh

Back in the pool. This is an area where I need to focus a lot this year.

300 warm up, fins on 300 kick with board, 200 long stroke, 3 x 200 on 4:30, 6 x 100 on 2:15, 6 x 50 on 1:10, 2 x 50 on 25 slow 25 fast, 100 cool down

Strength exercises in gym

Wednesday 4th

Turbo session
    Avg Cad - 82, Max Cad - 94 (Target 80 - 90)
    Avg HR - 135, Max HR - 153 (Target 130 - 150)
    5 min warm up, 4 x 6 mins with 2 min recovery, 5 min cool down

Total 40 mins

Not exactly a tough session but felt it in the legs for the last 6 min interval.

Thursday 5th

Nice easy short run.

Total 5.36 in 26:11

Friday 6th

300 wu, fins on 300 kick with board, 200 long stroke, 3 x 200 on 4:30, 6 x 100 on 2:15, 8 x 50 on 1:10, 100 cd
    Very tired at the end of the 50's

Strength work in the gym afterwards.

Purpose of these sessions is just to keep the muscles ticking over. Most focus put on leg work.

Saturday 7th

Had a long(ish) run planned for today but skipped it as the legs were very sore and I was physically exhausted. Nothing compared to the tiredness expected in a few weeks but enough to keep me on the couch

Sunday 8th

Out onto the country roads for the first time this year. Nothing epic about this cycle. A nice handy hour in the saddle. Weather wasn't too bad but any little breeze felt like a storm. Mole hills felt like mountains and the quads just wanted to pack in, other than that all was great.

Total 29k on 1hr

Monday 9th

A lunchtime run. A great way to leave the pressures of work behind and go out and clear the head.
    Run legs felt much better today.

Total 6.91 in 31.15

Turbo session in the evening
    Avg Cad - 85, Max Cad - 97 (Target 80 - 90)
    Avg HR - 135, Max HR - 152 (Target 130 - 150)
    5 min warm up, 5 x 6 mins with 2 min recovery, 7 min cool down

Legs felt ok, got very tough on the last 6 minute interval

Tuesday 10th

Coached swim sessions are back. Mix up in pool lanes tonight but we eventually got in. Think I preferred the chat whilst waiting around

300 warm up, 1000 (400, 300, 200, 100), 100, 6 x 50, 300 cool down - Not on times, just taking 20 sec rest between each

Flexibility and Strength exercises in gym

Weight watch = 78.4kg. Downward thankfully but still a long way off where I want to be.
    Reading 'Racing weight' by Matt Fitzgerald at the moment. Hopefully that will answer a lot of questions for me.

Wednesday 11th

We had a babysitter tonight, a rare occasion mid week, so we decided to head out for a bite to eat and the cinema. Oh the small things are much more enjoyable these days. All you whipper snappers out there enjoy it while you can.
    Anyway, still managed to get a run in beforehand. Don't know whether this was good or bad. Good because I got a run but bad because the legs were so tired and sore that I started doubting if I would ever find my run legs again.

Total - 5.41 in 26.20

Thursday 12th - Rest day. Very very sore and tired legs

Friday 13th

300 warm up, 1000 (400, 300, 200, 100), 8 x 100 on 2.20, 8 x 50 on 1.15, 100 cool down

Saturday 14th

I was due for the early shift with the little one. She must have known her daddy had training planned as didn't rise until 8.30, nice one.

Beautiful morning to be out on the bike. Lots of people out and about from individuals to small groups to large groups. Don't think I have ever seen so many on the roads around Dunboyne, Batterstown, N2. Great to see.

This weeks cycle felt much better than last weeks.

Total 41.74 in 1.25.13

• Advertisement

Sunday 15th

LSR

Not a bad day for a run, very cold out but sun was trying to come through.

Calves felt like they were going to give way all the way round, other than that the run went well. Some stretching required on the calves I think and time for the roller to come out again.

Heart rate monitor still not working so no idea of HR.

Total - 13.21 in 1:03:07

Advertisement