Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-12-2011, 19:45   #1
AoifeCN

Why does my hair get greasy so quickly???

Hi I'm a teenager and I now shower everyday because my hair gets greasy after 1 day out. People have told me that it is because I shower everyday? I don't know how it started as I didn't always shower everyday but now I need to shower everyday because I hate greasy hair as I think it looks very dirty and unhygienic. Anyone have any idea why this is?(I'm a very clean person BTW).And any suggestions on how i can stop this??
,thank you
Advertisement
31-12-2011, 19:49   #2
Lawliet

This thread might get a better response in "Fashion & Appearance"
31-12-2011, 19:54   #3
XxMCRxBabyxX

Are you using conditioner? My hair used to be like that and I found that it improved a lot when I stopped using conditioner.

Showering every day also doesn't help. Try not shower for a day or two and use dry shampoo instead
Thanks from:
31-12-2011, 20:14   #4
The Lovely Muffin
Closed Account

Hi OP,

I also have very greasy hair, I washed it yesterday and by this morning it was greasy again, I was it every second day as I find it's better than washing every day.

Washing your hair every day strips your hair of it natural oils and as a result your hair works harder to produce more oils hence why your hair gets get very greasy very quickly.

Don't wash your hair for two days and then start washing it every second day, it's not nice having to go around with greasy hair, even for a day, but it helps the greasiness.
(2) thanks from:
31-12-2011, 20:18   #5
Pretty Polly

I use dry shampoo occasionally for those 'in between days'. I have blond hair so you would never know i had used it.

Try washing your hair every second day instead of daily and try dry shampoo.
Advertisement
31-12-2011, 20:37   #6
lilliec

Hi, I think it is caused by having fine, straight hair. If I curl my hair it stays fresher longer, possibly because the hair isn't resting so much on the head as when it is straight.
I find that styling products (heat protection spray) makes it worse. Also, I only get a few hours out of mine if I straighten it. There is a brunette version of that dry shampoo...I don't like to use it because I don't like the smell, but it doesn't leave the grey effect that the normal one does.
Finally, I try to leave my hair to dry naturally rather than using the hair dryer, again finding it keeps longer this way. Hope this helps you, I'll be keeping an eye out for other peoples responses too
Thanks from:
31-12-2011, 20:39   #7
AoifeCN

thanks everyone! Any suggestions on what dry shampoo to use? I only condition probably once maybe twice a week (to stop my hair getting staticy) and not on the roots as that's where my hair gets greasy. some extra info I've never dyed my hair it is natural but i straighten it whenever i wash it and i blow dry a lot because my hair is naturally very curly.
31-12-2011, 20:57   #8
XxMCRxBabyxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoifeCN View Post
thanks everyone! Any suggestions on what dry shampoo to use? I only condition probably once maybe twice a week (to stop my hair getting staticy) and not on the roots as that's where my hair gets greasy. some extra info I've never dyed my hair it is natural but i straighten it whenever i wash it and i blow dry a lot because my hair is naturally very curly.
I'd say the straightening and blow drying are your problem. Curls are amazing! Don't ruin em :-)

I always use batiste and find it good
Thanks from:
31-12-2011, 21:02   #9
Littleminx

hi,im the very same ishower everyday,and my hair is greasy and also get only one dayoutof it, but i use ballistic dry shampoo get itin boots or tescos or any chemist and its great rather than constaly washing.
Advertisement
31-12-2011, 21:17   #10
Pretty Polly

I use both Baliste and Girlz Only dry shampoo. I get them both in Pennys but you can get them in the chemists either. Pennys seems to have them a little cheaper though.
01-01-2012, 01:33   #11
Karona

I find if you run your fingers constantly through your hair it makes the hair extra greasy, so if you have a habit ogf doing that try to catch yourself before you do it.
Thanks from:
01-01-2012, 01:44   #12
AoifeCN

Ha most of the things everyone has mentioned that makes your hair greasy I do
01-01-2012, 01:48   #13
bearhugs

I used to have the very same problem, and my hairdresser suggested that if I could leave it without washing it for 2 or 3 days it would improve, she advised me to wash it Wednesday night, so that it was okay for work Thursday, use the dry shampoo Friday morning, and to not wash it all weekend. I did this for a week or two and am now getting 2 days out of it. I know some people get longer but it's a huge improvement for me!
(2) thanks from:
01-01-2012, 10:29   #14
dudara
Category Moderator

Running your hands through your hair regularly will add to the greasiness, as will frequent brushing.
01-01-2012, 11:13   #15
kandr10

Tres semme do a nice dry shampoo. It smells nice but does leave the white flaky stuff so maybe not best option if you're brunette/black haired. Also if you're gonna straighten your hair anyway you could try leaving it to dry naturally first, or only straighten every alternate day. I find changing shampoo every so often can help as well.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion