Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No gas yet

Options
  • 30-12-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I bottled a batch of coopers lager 2 weeks ago. I opened a bottle last night out of curiosity to see how it was going. There was no gas in it. They have been stored in my house at room temp. I chilled it before opening. I added the 200g priming sugar to the batch prior to bottling. I had the beer maturing in a second Demi for about 3 weeks prior to bottling. So my questions are:
    1. Is this normal, I had expected bubbles after 2 weeks.
    2. Is it possible for the yeast to die off and then there's none there for the second fermentation in the bottle?
    3. How long would you normally leave a this beer before it's ready to drink?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Superdaddy wrote: »
    1. Is this normal
    No, you would expect it to be mostly carbonated after two weeks.
    2. Is it possible for the yeast to die off and then there's none there for the second fermentation in the bottle?
    Not really, unless you did something specific to kill it. The most likely explanation is a leaky seal on the bottle. Try another one.

The other possibility is your priming process went wrong somewhere. You gave it three weeks in a demi: then what? Did you dissolve your priming sugar in water and add the beer from the demi to it? It could be your priming solution just didn't mix evenly.
    3. How long would you normally leave a this beer before it's ready to drink?
    Three weeks, but if it's totally flat after two something has definitely gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

You were right, i tried another bottle and it was fine, just hope not too many have bad caps. I was using crown caps on 330ml bottles. I mixed the priming sugar by dissolving it in water and adding to the beer in the bottling bucket. It got a good stir, so mixing shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd always add the beer to the sugar solution, you may have done this. but boil the water and sugar, let cool, add to bottling bucket, siphon beer into sugar solution, bottle beer.

I'd have a look at the crown caps as I bottle it, make sure they're well closed, give the capper a second go after giving the bottle a twist.

Advertisement