cigars quistion - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 23:09   #1
superstoner90
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,976
cigars quistion

I herard some saying today that you dont inhale a cigar. But if you dont inhale it what does it do for you?

(sorry if this is a stupid quistion)
superstoner90 is offline  
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 23:54   #2
BeerNut
Moderator
 
BeerNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,595
Taste, primarily.

Also, nicotine can enter the bloodstream through the inside of the mouth. But I certainly don't smoke cigars for a nicotine hit.
BeerNut is offline  
Thanks from:
02-03-2012, 09:42   #3
Xeneon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
As BeerNut said, taste is the main reason.

They do come in a lot of different flavours which can go great with things like whiskey, coffee and certain foods.

If you want to try them, James Fox's opposite Trinity college do some decent "beginner" cigars. Their own brand Half Coronas are good for the price.

Some cigar smokers do tend to inhale the smoke but it's always advised not to as they are a lot stronger than cigarettes in terms of actual tobacco content. Some cigars contain the equivalent to an entire pack of cigarettes in one.

Plus it would make you horribly sick if you aren't experienced.
Xeneon is offline  
02-03-2012, 19:40   #4
superstoner90
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,976
Oh right,thanks for the replys. A friend of mine inhaled a cigar once and his face went green. Iwas very funny.
superstoner90 is offline  
05-03-2012, 09:25   #5
OldGoat
Registered goat
 
OldGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ...Oh my god, I'm full of stars!
Posts: 10,480
Inhaling is a difficult habit to break for cigarette smokers moving to cigars. I gulped down a few lungfuls of cigar smoke in my time.
I'm at the other end of the scale now, I can't inhale a ciggy, not a proper fullbloodied lungful anyway. Whenever I get to taste a cigarette I have to taste it like a cigar, all in the mouth and then exhale. My throat locks if I try to suck it down.
OldGoat is offline  
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 13:17   #6
superstoner90
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
Inhaling is a difficult habit to break for cigarette smokers moving to cigars. I gulped down a few lungfuls of cigar smoke in my time.
I'm at the other end of the scale now, I can't inhale a ciggy, not a proper fullbloodied lungful anyway. Whenever I get to taste a cigarette I have to taste it like a cigar, all in the mouth and then exhale. My throat locks if I try to suck it down.
Ah right, does that mean that you dont inhale cigar. So your lungs arent getting as harmed as if you smoking fags?
superstoner90 is offline  
05-03-2012, 13:33   #7
OldGoat
Registered goat
 
OldGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ...Oh my god, I'm full of stars!
Posts: 10,480
You don't inhale.
However there will still be damage to your lungs. No matter how good your intentions are there will always be smoke entering your lungs. Other dangers still exist too such as the cancer risk to your mouth and throat. Don't think cigars are an easy out from possible health repercussions.

We have wandered into Breach of Charter Territory here but I think that point had to be clarified.
OldGoat is offline  
05-03-2012, 13:40   #8
superstoner90
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
You don't inhale.
However there will still be damage to your lungs. No matter how good your intentions are there will always be smoke entering your lungs. Other dangers still exist too such as the cancer risk to your mouth and throat. Don't think cigars are an easy out from possible health repercussions.

We have wandered into Breach of Charter Territory here but I think that point had to be clarified.
Ah right I understand.

Sorry about the breach of charter terriory thing also.
superstoner90 is offline  
11-03-2012, 08:49   #9
Sindri
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,231
I remember being 14 and walking into a cigar shop in France and like the D'Unbelievables I asked for one of them, two of them and four of them without knowing what they were. Some were cigarillos.

Anyway, I couldn't remember if I was supposed to inhale them or not, so I just thought, 'Ahh shure, why not'.

I got a throbbing headache from it.

But the cigars/cigarillos were lovely. One of them tasted like vanilla and they were very cheap; in the penny sweets price range.

Other cigars I've had like Hamlets and King Edward VII weren't as nice as the vanilla cigarillos.
Sindri is offline  
Advertisement
11-03-2012, 10:56   #10
superstoner90
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
I remember being 14 and walking into a cigar shop in France and like the D'Unbelievables I asked for one of them, two of them and four of them without knowing what they were. Some were cigarillos.

Anyway, I couldn't remember if I was supposed to inhale them or not, so I just thought, 'Ahh shure, why not'.

I got a throbbing headache from it.

But the cigars/cigarillos were lovely. One of them tasted like vanilla and they were very cheap; in the penny sweets price range.

Other cigars I've had like Hamlets and King Edward VII weren't as nice as the vanilla cigarillos.
Cool story mate.
superstoner90 is offline  
Thanks from:
11-03-2012, 21:26   #11
Sindri
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstoner90 View Post
Cool story mate.
Yeah, it was pretty nice walking around a French village with the liberty of smoking and buying tobacco at that age.

I thought I looked so cool and sophisticated with the cigars.
Sindri is offline  
11-03-2012, 23:15   #12
superstoner90
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
Yeah, it was pretty nice walking around a French village with the liberty of smoking and buying tobacco at that age.

I thought I looked so cool and sophisticated with the cigars.

Id love to have done that.

My first fag was at the age of 13. It was the coolest thing ever at the time. Now i think of it as more of a lifestyle.

Love the fags anyway, helps me relax and stuff.
superstoner90 is offline  
Thanks from:
01-04-2012, 14:36   #13
Rawz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
There are a few reasons cigars are not meant to be inhaled, some include:

Since taste is the primary draw to cigar-smoking, simply puffing the smoke in the mouth is plenty to get a good flavor of the smoke. One reason cigars can taste so good is because they can be composed of parts of the tobacco plant that is not generally used in cigarette tobacco, such as the very top leaves. The very top leaves accumulate the most flavor, and also the most strength, since they receive the most sunlight. These leaves, called the Ligero of the plant, can be extremely strong in both flavor and buzz. Another attribute of cigar smoke that doesn't jive well with inhalation is the PH of the smoke itself is not suitable for the inner linings of the lungs. It is very damaging and frankly quite painful to accidentally take a cloud into the chest, and can make you feel sick from the residues that the cigar smoke leaves on your membranes.

Another reason inhalation of cigar smoke isn't necessary, or preferable for that matter, is that the nicotine content in cigar smoke is much higher. The nicotine concentration in the smoke allows diffusion across the inner linings of your mouth that leads to a gradually-increasing, more "mellow" nicotine buzz than the sharp head rush that cigarettes can give. If you're a beginner to cigar smoking, I would definitely stay away from anything close to a Ligero cigar, as it will simply not suit your tastes right away. Cigars generally come in three tiers of strength, Mild-Bodied, Medium-Bodied, and Full-Bodied. Look for a Mild to Medium-bodied cigar that has a Connecticut wrapper, as much of the taste of a cigar results from the wrapper type. Connecticut wrappers tend to have a delicious sweetness that lingers on the lips and are great for a casual smoke. PM me if you're looking for direct links to cigars suitable for someone just beginning to experiment with the different flavors cigars can have.

Happy smoking!
Rawz is offline  
Thanks from:
05-04-2012, 21:13   #14
Naggins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstoner90 View Post
I herard some saying today that you dont inhale a cigar. But if you dont inhale it what does it do for you?

(sorry if this is a stupid quistion)
Nope, you aren't supposed to inhale. I think it's too strong to inhale. Just by puffing a cigar you would get a taste.
Naggins is offline  
Thanks from:
06-04-2012, 19:03   #15
Rawz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Cigar smoke (depending on tobacco strength) has a high enough nicotine content to give a gradual, mellow buzz over the course of an hour of smoking one. The nicotine can pass through the abundant micro-cuts in your mouth and you can feel the effects for sometimes over an hour after finishing one. Its quite a different (more preferable) feeling from cigarette tobacco, but this may just be personal experience/preference.
Rawz is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet