My wife's breast cancer ordeal. - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-02-2012, 09:27   #46
CathyMoran

Not every chemo is the same and not everyone gets the same side effects. For me I was hugely worried about my fertility as I was 32 and was getting married shortly afterwards so I asked about ways of saving my fertility (I have an 8 month old and an almost 22 month old so what they did worked!)

Find out if she will have hair loss, I thought that I would not mind but when it fell out I was very upset and was glad that my brother and then fiance (sp) had got me to get a wig. My then fiance(sp) was hiding the hair loss from my pillow but one day it fell out in huge clumps. Remember the hair loss is a sign that the chemo is doing something and if your wife feels bad then just think of what it is doing to to it.

I was in hospital for one week in 4 and had chemo 4 days and one day to recover. I was very ill with mine but 2 weeks after my first chemo I was able to eat strawberries again (I had been not been able to swallow anything (am an oesophageal cancer survivor).

My brother bought me a portable dvd player and I watched most of Star Trek Voyager on it.

The week before the next chemo was the best for me and I did nice things that week. I was lucky that I had my wedding to look forward to but have something nice to look forward to at the end.

For me I was not allowed to travel until 6 weeks after the chemo was over and for me that was a pre-surgery holiday (I still do not consider that I got a honeymoon from my husband - we have 2 babies now so travelling is out for the short to medium term!)

Best wishes to you and your wife. If it is any consolation I do not remember most of it but my husband does.
Advertisement
06-02-2012, 23:57   #47
JohnnieK

Chemo started today. First cycle of A/C chemotherapy. We were only 1hr and a half in the hospital so not too bad (she got bloods done on Friday) About 7:30 this evening she lay down on the couch and fell asleep. I was just about able to wake her at 9 to get her to bed.
God love her.
Thanks from:
07-02-2012, 16:09   #48
tbh
Closed Account

Hi Johnnie - sorry I missed this thread, I've been thinking about ye over Christmas! Seems like everything is as well as can be expected. Thanks for the updates and continued strength and good luck to the both of you.
Thanks from:
07-02-2012, 16:55   #49
Carpenter

Send a message via MSN to Carpenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieK View Post
Chemo started today. First cycle of A/C chemotherapy. We were only 1hr and a half in the hospital so not too bad (she got bloods done on Friday) About 7:30 this evening she lay down on the couch and fell asleep. I was just about able to wake her at 9 to get her to bed.
God love her.
It was the same with my wife I bet if I had hit her with a hammer she would have stayed asleep but I found as time went on the need for sleep after Chemo got less I hope it will be the same for your wife.
Thanks from:
08-02-2012, 01:20   #50
_AVALANCHE_
Closed Account

AC chemotherapy

Quote:
Risk of developing a blood clot

Cancer can increase the risk of developing a blood clot (thrombosis), and chemotherapy may increase this risk further.
A blood clot may cause symptoms such as pain, redness and swelling in a leg, or breathlessness and chest pain. Blood clots can be very serious so it’s important to tell your doctor straight away if you notice any of these symptoms. Most clots can be treated with drugs that thin the blood. The doctor or nurse can give you more information.
Ask your Docs how common Clots are in your circumstances and if it would be suitable to go on a thinner now as a preventative. Complication best avoided if possible.

A good source of Fibre is....

cheaper in Dunnes and Healthshops unless it went up lately. Helps to keep things moving.

Last edited by _AVALANCHE_; 08-02-2012 at 01:53.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 08:44   #51
The Princess Bride
Registered User.

Glad to hear things are going to plan,Johnnie.

My friend started her chemo last week- she's is a fantastic person.
Not one word of a moan since her diagnosis and mastectomy.

My daughters are in awe of her- they can't get over how so many people moan and groan about a sniffle or flu,yet she's holding her head up high and so upbeat about cancer!!!

The chemo can be so much worse than the disease- so as I keep saying--look after both of you Johnnie !
Thanks from:
11-02-2012, 22:09   #52
JohnnieK

This was the first bad day. She was extremely tired and it's not helping that our little man has a chest and ear infection.

She was in bed for a lot of it (just couldn't get out of it). I tried to take the rains with every thing but I too am knackered because I only got about 5 hours sleep every night this week since Sunday because of the little fella. My brother offered to come over but I told him everything was fine, looking back I should have accepted the offer.

She is going to survive this, Isn't she???
11-02-2012, 22:21   #53
Dizzyblonde

Johnnie, you're going to get through this together. It's a tough road and there will be many times like this, but you'll cope.
A word of advice though - don't turn down offers of help with housework, babysitting etc. This is no time for false pride or martyrdom because it's important to look after yourself too, so you can be there for your wife and son. Nobody can do it all and you will need breaks to catch up on sleep or just have a little time to relax.
Thanks from:
12-02-2012, 18:23   #54
Carpenter

Send a message via MSN to Carpenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyblonde View Post
Johnnie, you're going to get through this together. It's a tough road and there will be many times like this, but you'll cope.
A word of advice though - don't turn down offers of help with housework, babysitting etc. This is no time for false pride or martyrdom because it's important to look after yourself too, so you can be there for your wife and son. Nobody can do it all and you will need breaks to catch up on sleep or just have a little time to relax.
+1 Take all the help you can get even ask for it .
The more help you get =more rest for everyone this sounds like a low time you are going through it will get better.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 22:19   #55
JohnnieK

Having a horrible time at the moment. Little fella was sick since Thursday last, fine by Monday. The wife got it and we have been in and out of Beaumont since Sunday, Sis-in law took the kids yesterday to give us a break and now our little one has a hight temp now so the wife has to ship out for a couple of day's to try and let every one get healthy. I've had to cancel a good bit of work to so I can be hear with the kids.

I'm going to get a big mug of tea and watch a movie.
15-02-2012, 08:38   #56
CathyMoran

You will get times like this - remember that this will pass. As I have said before I did not remember most of the chemo. Do plan something for her good days.
Thanks from:
18-02-2012, 20:07   #57
JohnnieK

After a bad week with high temps, in and out of the hospital and all that things seem to be settling down again.

The next hurdle is the MRI on Tuesday. If you can remember the CAT scan before Christmas came back largely clear apart from a shadow on the liver which they seem confident that it's a cyst or fatty tissue. The MRI is just a follow up.

The fear has once again set in with me regarding this MRI all the what if's are springing into mind.

I was so busy all week trying to keep everyone healthy that I never had time to think about it, but now things have relaxed a bit the thoughts are creeping in.

Worst case if it has got there does that mean the end of the road for her
18-02-2012, 20:48   #58
CathyMoran

In my case when I had a shaddow on my liver 18 months post surgery it was sarcoidosis - I know that it is a worry but there is nothing that you can do about it until you know.
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 22:15   #59
JohnnieK

Fingers crossed for the MRI tomorrow!! And the results of course.
20-02-2012, 22:20   #60
racso1975

Fingers and legs crossed johnny! Best of luck
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size