Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #28 - DazMarz

Options
  • 16-12-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is DazMarz.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

-My cousin was always into 'cool' music like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, et al. and I always was fascinated by the mascots (Vic Rattlehead, Eddie) who just looked so evil and cool... And when I actually listened to the music I was hooked. Also, GTA Vice City played a big part, as the V-Rock Station soundtrack gave me a taster for groups such as Motley Crue, Judas Priest and so on. Long live 80's Metal, btw...
    What keeps me interested in it is that I feel it is the only genre that will never die and will keep moulding itself to the times but all the same never losing its identity of being 'metal'.

-I came across Rock/Metal on boards by just searching through the forums and finding the music section and then as I'm a rock fan, this forum seemed a natural choice!

-I pop in every so often to see if there's anything of interest, keep up with the latest news on the metal world and so on. Since I don't buy many music magazines anymore, this forum gives me a lot of my information.

-When I'm not rocking out... I work a lot, I play poker, I support Chelsea F.C., I support Dublin GAA, I support Leinster Rugby, I am a huge movie buff, I read a lot, I like the odd flutter on something for an interest and I do anything to keep me from getting bored.

-The album(s) that had the greatest impact on me were Megadeth's Rust In Peace and Motley Crue's Shout At The Devil. Two of the first album's I listened to properly and actually bought for myself and owned. Still have them! They just brought me into a world of music that until then (I was about 13 at the time) I had no idea existed. Two very different bands, but two very class albums.

-Username.... I honestly don't know. Daz would be a nickname I had in real-life... where the Marz bit came from, I've no idea. something I just mashed together in a couple of seconds in October 2008 when I needed a username for this!!!

ask away, people...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

What's your song? The one you identify with, identify a time with, the most evocative song you listen to? Not necessarily favourite, but one that moves you?

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

-Fave album from 2010/2011 = Forevermore by Whitesnake

-Band I actually hate: Nirvana

-I frequent 'Cool Vids, Pics and Links', 'After Hours', 'Films', 'Ranting And Raving', 'Soccer', 'The Gentleman's Club', 'Literature', 'Television' and some other ones.

-I'm a metal man, and I am a pure Glam/80's/Hair Metal head.

-Drinking with 5 people from metal... Despite how much I'd be in either the ICU or a grave afterwards, it would be: Vince Neil, Nikki Sixx, Slash, Dave Mustaine and Chris Holmes... I'd say a few drinks would be consumed... :D

-Big 4 of thrash... Long Live Megadeth... Brilliant band.

-Can't really think of an album that let me down much, tbh. Though the album that the band the Stone Gods released promised so much with the opening track of "Burn the Witch", but slid rapidly downhill after that for me. Apart from that, can't really think of any.

• Advertisement

viadah wrote: »
    What's your song? The one you identify with, identify a time with, the most evocative song you listen to? Not necessarily favourite, but one that moves you?

My song... wow... Not necessarily my favourite, but one that moves me... Hard to think but some songs that are good and help me sometimes:

-Over The Edge by L.A. Guns
    -Don't Give Up by White Lion
    -Who Wants To Live Forever by Queen
    -Soldier Of Fortune by Deep Purple
    -Wind Beneath My Wings by Sonata Arctica

just these songs give me a lift or something. Hard to put into words...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

do you play an instrument at all?

Favourite guitarist to ever play with whitesnake?

do you play an instrument at all?

Favourite guitarist to ever play with whitesnake?

I used to play some intruments, not those usually associated with rock/metal, but not any more.

I can't decide between the following: John Sykes, Adrian Vandenberg, Steve Vai and Doug Aldrich, but probably in that order if I absolutely had to choose. John Sykes was THE man...

When it comes to Vince Neil, do you think he has a huge head or just no neck?

When it comes to Vince Neil, do you think he has a huge head or just no neck?

Bit of a Silvio Dante thing going on there with no neck, methinks. Haha. One of the undisputed rock gods in his day all the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

If you could pick an instrument to instanly be able to play what would it be?

What genres of music do you listen to outside of Rock and Metal? (If any)

Any albums by well known bands that you feel are underrated?

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    If you could pick an instrument to instanly be able to play what would it be?

What genres of music do you listen to outside of Rock and Metal? (If any)

Any albums by well known bands that you feel are underrated?

Aw, the AXE!!! The guitar, obviously. Stereotypical answer, but I'd love to be able to shred and shít like all my rock heroes!

I also listen to a lot of other genres, like Jazz, Classical, 80's pop... anything I like the sound of, but I'm also a bit of a snob about music. I like to think that a lot of talent was necessary for the music to be created.

Off the top of my head: "Slip of the Tongue" by Whitesnake, "So Far, So Good, So What" by Megadeth, "Turbo" by Judas Priest, "7800 Fahrenheit" by Bon Jovi and probably a few other personal faves that might not be fan faves... can't think of them now tho.

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

1. David Coverdale, my favourite performer, so was delighted with that!

2. Axl Rose... need I explain?

3. Don't really have one, to be honest... Tho I know some girls who are friends of mine who look pretty lethal in the metal-head gear!!!

4. I don't. Even in my wilder days of my misspent youth, the furthest I would have gone is a band t-shirt/hoodie. I still wear lots of black in my daily life, if that counts at all!!!

5. Whitesnake's "Live At Donington 1990". What an album!!!

6. I don't play any instrument anymore, so I can't really say!

7. I love the artwork on Iron Maiden's "Somewhere In Time". Also, W.A.S.P.'s "The Headless Children", BulletBoys' eponymous album, Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" (the more explicit version!!!), L.A. Guns' eponymous album... can't think of any more right now... these all just appeal to me for different reasons and so on. They might not be classic, but I like them!

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

-I find most 'extreme' metal genres to be awful... Black metal does nothing for me. Nu-Metal is not my thing either. Grunge boils my blood... A lot of things in heavy metal annoy me! I'm very picky.

-Def Leppard and Motley Crue in London... the sheer levels of awesomeness experienced there cannot be described!!!

-Not particularly anything coming up... but I am not as big a gig-goer as I once was.

-I'm not up to date on the Irish metal scene, something I should rectify.

-My all time favourite band is either Whitesnake or Def Leppard. I'd lean towards Whitesnake more though.

-I love the sense of camaraderie and brotherhood in the metal scene amongst fans, especially at smaller gigs. There's a kind of a sense at these gigs that this is 'our thing', and we always have these big long chats about the band we're about to see and so on. It's the friendliness that strikes me. The negative is the unfortunate bad press that metal gets, thanks to a minority of stupid fans. Most metal-heads are sound and good guys, but there are a few idiots who will keep giving the ill-informed media (the Daily Mail-types) their ammunition to keep aiming at heavy metal and keep bringing up PMRC-esque stupidities and keep painting metal bands and fans as baby-eating Satan worshippers.

-I guess the main one would be Metallica; I can't see what makes their music so much more special than say, Megadeth or Slayer. Yet they have sold squillions of records and have legions of fans and continue to do so. But I was never that huge a fan of theirs. One of my main claims to fame amongst my friends was at a Metallica gig in 2009... They were playing Marlay Park, and I'd been forced to stand in the drizzle and mud for HOURS before getting into the arena. I was tired, hungover and in no mood but a close friend of mine begged me to queue with her so she could get pit passes. I got one too. But mid-way through Metallica's set, I was apparently up on the big screen. Standing very still, arms folded, looking thoroughly unimpressed and pissed off while around me, mosh-pits swirled and everyone was going nuts. The one big Buzz Killington in the middle of Metallica's mosh-pit. How wonderful!!!:P:o

DazMarz wrote:
    PMRC-esque
    What's that then?

DazMarz wrote: »
    and keep painting metal bands and fans as baby-eating Satan worshippers.

Yes, an end to this, not all share this dedication, we are an elite few :mad:

But on the subject, do you think a perceived or even direct link to the Satanic ever benefitted heavy metal? Or rather, how do you feel metal would have evolved without an aesthetic link to the demonic?

What's that then?

The Parents' Music Resource Centre... an evil, American invention that was to censor music. Started back in the 1980's by the 'Washington Wives' (wives of Senators, Congressmen and so on) as a tool to try and censor controversial music, which back then, was Heavy Metal. They are the ones that are almost completely responsible for those 'Parental Guidance; Explicit Content' stickers you see on some CD's. Colloquially referred to as the 'Tipper Sticker' (named after Tipper Gore, one of the head members of the PMRC, wife of former Vice President Al Gore).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMRC

Yes, an end to this, not all share this dedication, we are an elite few :mad:

But on the subject, do you think a perceived or even direct link to the Satanic ever benefitted heavy metal? Or rather, how do you feel metal would have evolved without an aesthetic link to the demonic?

I think that the link did benefit heavy metal, tbh. Any publicity is good publicity, and this was the case with any and all controversy surrounding heavy metal.

Heavy metal has almost always been the championing music of the disenfranchised and has always been an outsider in music; never fully accepted by the music business, really (closest it ever came was in the 1980's; and isn't that the way we metal heads like it anyway??? This is OUR music! Not bleedin yours!!!).

When angry, disenfranchised teens want some nice, angry, disenfranchised music, they turn to heavy metal. If they are told by the powers that be (parents, teachers, censors, etc.) to avoid this music because it is 'evil' and 'Satanic'... what is the result? The forbidden fruit angle; they will almost universally want to listen to this music. No question.

And if more and more people talk about heavy metal, even if it is in a negative fashion, the more publicity it will get and the more people will be introduced to the wonderful world of metal! Back in the 1980's, music censhorship (particularly aimed at heavy metal) was discussed in Congress! Dee Snider (of Twisted Sister) spoke at the hearing. The publicity this gave to an already growing and popular metal scene was unreal. The so-called 'Tipper Sticker' (see above post) was put on albums deemed to be potentially offensive in the 1980's. This had a backfire effect on those who promoted the sticker (who hoped the sticker would reduce sales of these albums, when in fact it had the opposite effect).

Heavy metal has always been controversial and has always had detractors who have tried to silence it. But I honestly believe their efforts are totally in vain; the more they push and try to stop metal, the more publicity and promotion heavy metal gets, without even asking for this help!!!

• Advertisement

Any more questions there folks?

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to DazMarz for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement