Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post of the day issue?

Options

Comments

I just noticed that there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Saw the same thing at 04:00 this morning, but it's showing up as Ro: maaan! in the link for me now.

Saw the same thing at 04:00 this morning, but it's showing up as Ro: maaan! in the link for me now.

I didn't even know there was a punk forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Oh you guys, nothing ever gets by you and yet somehow you never post these things in Site Development :p

I rewrote parts of the menu systems (Beta and DHTML) recently for the IE9 pinning. This included updating how the POTD/TOTD gets stored and updated in the menus at around midnight each day. What's supposed to happen is we pick a new POTD/TOTD and cache it for 24 hours, and then we rebuild the menus. When you visit /potd or /totd it reads the cached post ID/thread ID and boots you over to that thread/post.

We're currently experiencing a problem with the beta theme (and I believe it's limited to that) in that once the POTD/TOTD is picked and cached the Beta menu doesn't regenerate. This means the information (thread name, poster for POTD) is from yesterday, but because we're linking to /potd and /totd and the cached IDs do get updated you get to the actual post or thread of the day - hence the mismatch :)

So why don't I fix the bug? Because it's rather elusive :pac: It only happens with the midnight auto-update because to fix it I run the exact same script as it runs at midnight except manually and it all behaves itself. I did that this morning, Paddy did it yesterday morning. I've got a 7 hour window to debug it, and that's between midnight and 7am.

However:
    Ov70m.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Can you not just change the clock on your PC so that it thinks it's midnight, but it's really 10am?

Then you'd get a lie in and can debug at your leisure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Oh you guys, nothing ever gets by you and yet somehow you never post these things in Site Development :p

I rewrote parts of the menu systems (Beta and DHTML) recently for the IE9 pinning. This included updating how the POTD/TOTD gets stored and updated in the menus at around midnight each day. What's supposed to happen is we pick a new POTD/TOTD and cache it for 24 hours, and then we rebuild the menus. When you visit /potd or /totd it reads the cached post ID/thread ID and boots you over to that thread/post.

We're currently experiencing a problem with the beta theme (and I believe it's limited to that) in that once the POTD/TOTD is picked and cached the Beta menu doesn't regenerate. This means the information (thread name, poster for POTD) is from yesterday, but because we're linking to /potd and /totd and the cached IDs do get updated you get to the actual post or thread of the day - hence the mismatch :)

So why don't I fix the bug? Because it's rather elusive :pac: It only happens with the midnight auto-update because to fix it I run the exact same script as it runs at midnight except manually and it all behaves itself. I did that this morning, Paddy did it yesterday morning. I've got a 7 hour window to debug it, and that's between midnight and 7am.

There's a much easier solution than that - just turn it off & back on again.

And we're off ;)
    -Chris- wrote: »
    Can you not just change the clock on your PC so that it thinks it's midnight, but it's really 10am?

Then you'd get a lie in and can debug at your leisure!

It's the Boards.ie servers I'd have to change, and no. Though if I can't solve it soon I'll change the cron job to run at 8am so I can debug when I get into work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I use the default theme on firefox and it happened yesterday to me too, so it's not just beta...

I use the default theme on firefox and it happened yesterday to me too, so it's not just beta...

It's just a caching issue on your browser because I've got debug output turned on from both menu generation files and I see DHTML menu debug info and messages but nothing from Beta. I also verified this before I went poking at the script at 00:10 this morning, DHTML menu was fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

And we're off ;)

It's the Boards.ie servers I'd have to change, and no. Though if I can't solve it soon I'll change the cron job to run at 8am so I can debug when I get into work :D

Do you not have a dev environment to test/debug this in?

• Advertisement

Do you not have a dev environment to test/debug this in?

Several. And it works on them.

Issue is fixed.

/thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

But... I still don't know what a tracker mortgage is :confused:

*thanks for fixing the broken thing that most of us never knew was broken Danny, as a fellow programmer, I know what that means* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Issue is fixed.

/thread

Yeah \o/

Now we can get back to everyone complaining that MT Cranium or a post from You Laugh You Lose gets post of the day everyday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

POTD isnt showing as an individual post as it used to,intentional?

POTD today redirects to: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76059207. That p= bit means that it's trying to show you directly to a post in the context of a thread. If the post does not exist, you will be shown to the top of the page where that post used to be.

If the thread is large, it will take a while before the DOM is rendered enough to jump to the post on the page.

There are no issues with POTD today. Once again, I'd like to re-iterate that all tech errors should be posted as bug reports in Site Development :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭shanec1928

bump this is still not working the thread of the day is currently directing me to Chat all you like thread. in the cuckos's nest while the thread of the day says a few questions please...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Thread of The Day is sending me to Which oil and why?, in the motors forum.

Although I get the same thread name as referenced above in the menu.

Edit:

Noticed it's refreshed for me in the menu now and showing up the correct thread title.

Can I get this thread locked? We've got one open in Site Development :)

I believe there are some infrastructure quirks at the minute because the code never changed. The menu rebuild script was run again around 10:30 and successfully updated, despite not rebuilding over the weekend. As always though, the right POTD/TOTD was selected hence the mismatch :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement