Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LiPo battery C Rating

Options
  • 08-12-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to get a stock tube LiPo for my KWA M4 and am having a bit of trouble understanding the C rating thing.
    What does a higher C rating mean? and how will it affect the performance
    e.g will it give the gun a higher rate of fire ?
    Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

the "C" part is its discharge rating,in a nutshell the higher the number after the C the faster your motor will turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

While I agree that higher C-ratings are better than lower I don't think that's the whole story. I read an excellent article in AI a good while ago which gave a great explanation of why/how certain battery specs relate to performance.

According to the article the maximum current a battery can supply is (mAh x C-rating)/1000, so a 1500mAh 15C battery can supply (1500 x 15)/1000 = 22.5amps. While LiPos have many different C-ratings all NiMh are meant to be around the same, 12C, so you can see how a high-C LiPo has the potential to supply more current to the motor than a similar mAh-rated NiMh.

Some LiPos can have a C-rating listed as 25-40C, this means it can continuously discharge @ 25C but can discharge for short periods @ 40C.

I have read various numbers for AEG current requirement from 25 to 40Amps. When choosing a LiPo I consider 20C as a starting point, preferring something in the 25-35 range (assuming I can get one in that rating that will fit the AEG I need it for).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Very good article here that explains it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

That is a great article Deburca, and one that I have referred to myself on a few occasions.:)

Your AEG motor will only draw the power it needs is the main thing.
    So if your battery has a 50amp rating, but your motor only needs 20amps, that is all it will draw. The extra amperage won't make it spin any quicker.

As Decoy already suggested 25 - 35c is a good range use.
    I do run the G&P, PAS and Hot Power 20c 1200mah 7.4v stock tube batteries in my DB Custom VLTOR and my Systema Revolution CASV VLTOR without any issues or lack of performance.
    But you will probably need to carry a spare with you depending on how you game.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭GreenCarver

Thanks for all the replies, is their a specific battery anyone could recommend for the stock tube of my KWA M4 ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

There is a couple of links on this thread;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056417657

Not sure if any of the Irish retailers stock them, but maybe ask on the retailers thread.:)

I found this one on SGairsoft;
    http://sgairsoft.biz/siteapps/25121/htdocs/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=294&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54&vmcchk=1&Itemid=54

I actually have one of these sourced from elsewhere. They work well and I have no complaints about them.

Also one on MWairsoft;
    http://www.mwairsoft.net/batteries-chargers/175-gp-74v-1200mah-20c-battery-.html

I have one of those as well. It is my number one choice of this type.

Every stock tube LiPo seems to be 20C but from what I have read, people seem to prefer 25C + but I cannot find any LiPos with that high of a C rating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17289__Turnigy_nano_tech_1300mah_2S_25_50C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack.html

This one fits a stock tube BUT it the cells are a bit longer than most stock tube batteries so it will really only suit is you prefer your stock extended pretty much to the max. This LiPo is rated 25-50C and I've found it performs very nicely. I also use the G&P 20C LiPo Rooky1 recommended and that is also a good battery.

I think I will stick with the G&P one because I like my stock about half extended,
    Thanks for the help

Advertisement