Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talking Rugby Episode 17 - INJURIES SPECIAL; with phatpiggins, jacothelad and doc.

Options
  • 07-12-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

285%3E_5447170.jpg?1323272498

Link: http://talkingrugby.podomatic.com/entry/2011-12-07T07_09_04-08_00

Phatpiggins, jacothelad and doc join Dave for another look at the Irish provinces in the Pro12 and a look ahead to the Heineken Cup.

They also have a great discussion about sports injuries that is well worth a listen. It's a brilliant insight.

Coming up this week:
    0:00 - Munster's poor show at Osprey and a look ahead to their key trip to Scarlets in the Heineken. Peter Stringer's loan deal to Saracens and Doug Howlett's serious injury also get a mention.

13:20 - Leinster's trouncing of Cardiff and a preview of Bath hosting Leinster in Europe. Is Leinster's current style of play the best around?

23:30 - Was Ulster's win over Scarlets an upward graft? Is there an answer to Ulster's lack of creativity?

29:30 - Connacht's slump continues with a home loss to Treviso but do have a chance against Gloucester?

34:00 - Other big games coming up in the Heineken Cup with Pedro and Doc's bets of the week.

38:10 - William, a senior lecturer in anatomy, physiology and clinical health studies, heads up our special on injuries. He gives a great insight in various aspects of injury. Issues discussed include:

- The intrinsic and extrinsic factors that contribute to injury.
    - What protection should players wear?
    - The importance of warming up and warming down. How warming up prepares muscles for intensive activity.
    - How powerful modern players are.
    - The difficulty of joint and connective tissue damage.
    - The worrying trend of concussion, what it is, its symptoms, what repeated occurences can mean in later life and what research in the NFL has discovered about the relationship between concussion and brain injuries.

To make tuning in again easier for you:

1. We're available on the iTunes Store directory, type in "Talking Rugby" into the search bar and you'll find the show and be able to subscribe.

2. or you can also suscribe via our RSS feed http://talkingrugby.podomatic.com/rss2.xml

You can find old episodes here: http://talkingrugby.podomatic.com/

We are also on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...91923120895223 and Twitter:http://www.twitter.com/TheWorldsTalkin

Thanks for listening again and supporting this show, please post your comments and suggestions here! Cheers on behalf of the Talking Rugby team.

What did you think of the show? 6 votes

Love it, I'm subscribed and I'm listening to the show every week!
    0% 0 votes
    Good show.
    50% 3 votes
    Meh
    33% 2 votes
    Too long; didn't listen
    16% 1 vote
    Jeremy Guscott
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Splendid episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Best one yet lads. The stuff on sports injuries was absorbing and very informative. I dont think its been covered as in depth as this yet anywhere else.

Really really top quality discussion this week.

Doc a welcome addition. That's as good a podcast as I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Really really top quality discussion this week.

Doc a welcome addition. That's as good a podcast as I've ever heard.

I know its a long one but the converstion between William and Doc at the end was so informative we couldn't cut them off.

Glad you enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think the 'special features' work well, I think it's something we can do more often in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

Only got around to listening to this earlier; thought it was really excellent again. Good work lads. There is definitely a gap of this kind of analysis of the game in Ireland at the moment in my opinion.

Glad to see you enjoyed the show vinny.

Any suggestions for topics to discuss next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Next week should be a Christmas special with Santy Claus as a special guest to give us a detailed technical breakdown of modern scrummaging, correct tackle techniques and give us his general thoughts on the year of rugby ahead.

4213462227_a3b3ef935d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Only getting to listen now.

Bit of a shame I didn't think of bringing a handheld recorder to the Ospreys - Saracens match yesterday to get some "foreign" opinions on Irish rugby for you guys!

New show being recorded tonight (that is to say tuesday night!)

If anyone has any suggestions for topics, please post a reply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

New show being recorded tonight (that is to say tuesday night!)

If anyone has any suggestions for topics, please post a reply!

After reading the Indo, there was an article on whose putting there hands up ahead of the Wolfhounds game in January vs Saxons. Could discuss the guys who should be blooded in this game (O'Malley, O'Mahony, Keatley etc).

Also Gerry Thornley asked the question are Connacht becoming the new 'Italians' of the European game based on losses and high penalty counts.

And Jonny Wilkinson retirement from England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

its_phil wrote: »
    Also Gerry Thornley asked the question are Connacht becoming the new 'Italians' of the European game based on losses and high penalty counts.

Which was a fairly daft comment considering how Treviso are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

danthefan wrote: »
    Which was a fairly daft comment considering how Treviso are doing.
    Which is why he said NEW Italians, IE replacing the contribution of pre-Magners Italians.

Show got delayed till tonight, myself and jacothelad are on.

Show should be up tommorrow!

Advertisement