Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does anyone feel about...

Options
  • 06-12-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

Hockey Beers?
    just wanted to throw this out there... see if anyone would be interested in meeting up, possibly sometime in the New Year to indulge our mutual love of the game and maybe a bit of in person smack talk... (i stress the talking part..)
    all in good spirits of course...
    I know that everyone who posts on here is dotted around the country and likely on pretty varied schedules..
    but perhaps we could come to some arrangement..
    again, just throwing the idea out there to see what you folks think..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

It sounds like a good idea. What would you like people to talk about. It would hardly be just hockey

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd be up for it. Would be great to meet up for the Winter Classic as it is during the day but it's probably not the best time of year for it (and I think I may be working that day, it's on January 2nd this year). I'll check that today and get back.

Anywhere in Dublin would be good for me, though if it snows it might be tougher...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I am working in Dublin and am happy to meet up too. Have not been paying too much attention since the end of October as I was caught up in the flooding. Can anyone give me an update on Kris Letang and Mike Green? I know Letang broke his nose against Montreal but why is he still out?

COYW wrote: »
    I am working in Dublin and am happy to meet up too. Have not been paying too much attention since the end of October as I was caught up in the flooding. Can anyone give me an update on Kris Letang and Mike Green? I know Letang broke his nose against Montreal but why is he still out?

Letang took a blindside hit from Pacioretty and played on, ended up scoring the OT winner. But then he was diagnosed with concussion. Obviously the Penguins are well aware of the risks and making sure he is 100% before he returns.

Green has a strained groin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

plenty of fodder for debate right there joe.. i thought it was a good hit.. not to mention that goal shouldn't have stood as Carey Price had already covered the puck..

• Advertisement

well i would think the woolshed would be the best place to watch american sports.. but i guess with the winter classic that opens up the possibilities to being anywhere that has Setanta Sports, assuming they'll be screening the Winter Classic

Hmmm... a broken nose and a concussion, and Letang had already released the shot. Even taking a bit of my bias out of the equation I think it was a late hit to the head!

Anyway, yeah The Woolshed was exactly what I was thinking. I don't know of any other bars in Dublin that show Ice Hockey regularly. Anyone know of any?

how do you feel about me posting it as an event on Couchsurfing... as a way of possibly attracting hockey fans that might be passing through around new years...

how do you feel about me posting it as an event on Couchsurfing... as a way of possibly attracting hockey fans that might be passing through around new years...

Were about is this pub.

Yeah the more the merrier, might attract some new people to the forum also.

Cena, it's not a pub, but the Woolshed that was mentioned earlier is on Parnell Street.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Yeah the more the merrier, might attract some new people to the forum also.

Cena, it's not a pub, but the Woolshed that was mentioned earlier is on Parnell Street.

I thought it was a pub. What sort of venue is it. I don't know Dublin that well. Does place show hockey all the time. It would to have a place that shows all u.s sports. Like a sports bar.

cena wrote: »
    I thought it was a pub. What sort of venue is it. I don't know Dublin that well. Does place show hockey all the time. It would to have a place that shows all u.s sports. Like a sports bar.

The Woolshed is a pub. Couchsurfing isnt. The Woolshed is probably the main sports bar in Dublin, showing rugby, Aussie rules, football, American sports etc...

might drop into the woolshed over the next few days and see if they would accomodate.. i also e-mailed setanta earlier to inquire about their scheduling for the Winter Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

cena wrote: »
    Were about is this pub.

Out the back of the Ilac centre on Parnell street in Dublin. Map here
    plenty of fodder for debate right there joe.. i thought it was a good hit..

It was blindside Shanannigan, nothing good about it. Sure watch it again, the puck was well gone. He had released the shot a good second before the hit.

What time is the Winter classic on our time? The Woolshed can be manic during the day and evening if there is premier league football on.

COYW wrote: »
    What time is the Winter classic on our time? The Woolshed can be manic during the day and evening if there is premier league football on.

It's a 1pm EST start so that is 6pm Irish time. Unfortunately I've checked and Arsenal are playing at the same time, so the Woolshed will probably have that on its 100,000 screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I think a few pints watching the Winter Classic is a class idea if there is a pub that would show it. I would love to join but being in Cork it could be a challenge. There is an outside chance I could make it as we are due to visit the misses sister who lives in Dublin over the Christmas period but its slim at best.

Now if we can organize some thing for game 1 of the Stanley Cup that's guaranteed.

krissovo wrote: »
    I think a few pints watching the Winter Classic is a class idea if there is a pub that would show it. I would love to join but being in Cork it could be a challenge. There is an outside chance I could make it as we are due to visit the misses sister who lives in Dublin over the Christmas period but its slim at best.

Now if we can organize some thing for game 1 of the Stanley Cup that's guaranteed.

I'm strongly thinking about going to the 2013 Winter Classic if anyone fancies a few beers on the other side of the pond for that? Haha. The one in 2008 was probably the best sporting event I've ever been to, except maybe the All-Ireland hurling final.

I'm strongly thinking about going to the 2013 Winter Classic if anyone fancies a few beers on the other side of the pond for that? Haha. The one in 2008 was probably the best sporting event I've ever been to, except maybe the All-Ireland hurling final.

Is that in Michigan next year? Hmmm....... Very tempting, I will run that past the misses. Could swing it with New Years Eve in Times Square and I have some air miles.

krissovo wrote: »
    Is that in Michigan next year? Hmmm....... Very tempting, I will run that past the misses. Could swing it with New Years Eve in Times Square and I have some air miles.

That is the rumour, yeah. Could be a 100,000+ plus attendance if so. Serious tailgating at that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

That is the rumour, yeah. Could be a 100,000+ plus attendance if so. Serious tailgating at that...
    You mean here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Stadium.

They have recently installed permanent lights so its now possible. I guess they would have to put the Red Wings against Blackhawks to draw that big a crowd...

• Advertisement

The only thing about that would be that the Red Wings - Blackhawks have already had a Winter Classic. I don't know if they are completely against having Canadian teams in the Winter Classic, but maybe Toronto would be a good option since its roughly the same distance as Chicago and the Leafs fans would certainly travel to it.

I can imagine Michigan Stadium in early January, where the average daily high is -1 celsius...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

The only thing about that would be that the Red Wings - Blackhawks have already had a Winter Classic. I don't know if they are completely against having Canadian teams in the Winter Classic, but maybe Toronto would be a good option since its roughly the same distance as Chicago and the Leafs fans would certainly travel to it.

I can imagine Michigan Stadium in early January, where the average daily high is -1 celsius...
    It might be to do with TV, why they havn't had a Canadian team in it. Will as many people south of the border watch a team from the north of the border when their own team aint playing. Looking at a map, Columbus looks to be the closest to Ann Arbor of all NHL teams but they wont be chosen. Pittsburgh looks to be just to be just a bit further away than Toronto/Chicago so they could be a possibility. Of course this is all speculation until an annoncement on the 2013 venue is made.

got a response back from Setanta.. they said they definitely plan to broadcast it at 6pm on the 2nd.. now as previously mentioned comes the task of finding a bar in dublin that has setanta sports (which i assume most would) who would be willing to let us hog a screen for the few hours the game is on..

re the classic.. i'm looking forward to seeing if they decide to hold another heritage classic... or even a canadian v us classic if it would ever happen.. Montreal Detroit would be my personal choice (naturally) for such an event given the rivalry those teams shared before.. though equally toronto v any of the other original 6 us teams would be a great event.. of course it raises the question as to whether it would be hosted in the states or up north..

http://www.thelivingroomdublin.com/
    http://www.murraysbar.eu/

Those two normally show American Football so may be worth a shout. I'll drop them a mail after work tonight to see if they can show it, and maybe the Woolshed as well?

All the NFL is on the 1st January so one of them can surely spare a screen for some hockey.

I emailed the Murrays group who I believe run both the pubs above and they can guarantee us a (minimum) 60 inch HD TV with sound for the match. I just need to get back to them and confirm it. So I'll send out PM's to most of the active members on the forum and see who is provisionally in or out and we can take it from there. Should be able to send the PM's tomorrow.

sweet!.. well i'm in for definite, as far as i know they do pretty decent deals on pitchers etc.. not that anyone will be going mad on the booze after new years..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I'd love to do this, but I an American and will be watching from my couch

I am 70% sure I will be in Dublin weather and hangover permitting on the 2nd to visit family and go shopping in Ikea on the 3rd. The misses is ok with me popping out for a couple of hours.

Do any of the bars have food? Pitchers and wings would bring a smile to my face:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'm in Galway guys so don't think I'll make it up, have family around etc.

Hockey, pitchers and wings sound awesome though :pac:

Advertisement