Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-12-2011, 03:41   #1
bernyh

Borax

I am pretty sure this isn't the right place to be posting this, but I am thinking about making my own washing powder/dishwasher powder.

I am looking for borax and washing soda would anyone know where to buy this? Not in small boxes but in a decent quantity.

Thanks a mill
Advertisement
06-12-2011, 16:31   #2
Ayla

I make my own laundry soap, and buy a small container of borax from my local chemist. Since my recipe needs only 1/2 cup of borax for about 140 loads, this small quantity of borax suits me fine.

I buy my washing crystals from Asda - I get a kilo for about 90p. Again, I don't need much, so this quantity lasts a *long* time.

I have not been able to source soap flakes anywhere, so I grate a cheap bar of standard body soap & it seems to do the trick.

Good luck - it's amazing how much money you can save for such a simple thing to do!
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2011, 16:39   #3
Ophiopogon
Closed Account

I've been trying to source washing soda too, have checked supermarkets and health shops and can't find it anywhere.

Also, trying to find castile soap, and where to bulk buy baking soda and vinegar.
06-12-2011, 16:47   #4
Ayla

I get big quantities of vinegar & bread soda from my local cash & carry that serves the public.

I think if you're looking for something called washing soda you're going to have a hard time. Try looking for washing crystals in the hard-core cleaning section of the supermarket (ie: the shelf where they sell the floor cleaners/descalers/furniture polish/etc). When I get home I'll look up the brand name (they have a website) of the crystals I get.

Also, if you do searches for pool cleaning equipment you can find comps which sell chemicals like this at quantity to the public.
06-12-2011, 17:11   #5
Ophiopogon
Closed Account

Thanks I think crystals and soda is the same thing as far as I know, as in sodium carbonate. I just know it as soda so that's what I call it. I've looked in tesco we don't have asda in the republic I think.

Anyone know of a public cash and carry near dublin/wicklow, I was under the impression they were all wholesale?
Advertisement
06-12-2011, 19:24   #6
Ayla

You're right, soda & crystals are the same thing, but since I've found mine under the name of soda crystals it may help you to do your searches under this name.

Dri Pack do my crystals (www.dri-pack.co.uk), and I think if you go on their site there is the possibility of buying online (or finding retailers in your area). They also sell Borax.

Otherwise, I know in my online searches I looked for "sodium caronate decahydrate" and found some (ie: the pool cleaning suppliers, etc).

There are not any Asdas in the Republic (the luck of living 5mins from the border ) but crystals can be found here with enough persistance & googling. Good luck!
12-12-2011, 08:47   #7
Hoof_Hearted

Detergent soapy?

Thanks for the useful information here. Just wondering if the detergent is ok to use in a closed machine, if it's not too frothy? I used a too soapy detergent before and it fouled up the washing machine.
I've been using soda/crystals for years, a teaspoon in the wash with half the amount of detergent works great (it's great for greasy pans and cookers too). I get mine in dunnes and tesco.
02-01-2012, 17:02   #8
Ayla

If you're directing that question re: frothy detergent to me, I can confirm that the laundry detergent I make has no suds at all. In fact, it's the artificial additives that make detergent frothy, so by doing the natural recipes you get rid of froth altogether. Hope that helps.
Thanks from:
10-09-2012, 15:49   #9
crowed23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernyh View Post
I am pretty sure this isn't the right place to be posting this, but I am thinking about making my own washing powder/dishwasher powder.

I am looking for borax and washing soda would anyone know where to buy this? Not in small boxes but in a decent quantity.

Thanks a mill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
I make my own laundry soap, and buy a small container of borax from my local chemist. Since my recipe needs only 1/2 cup of borax for about 140 loads, this small quantity of borax suits me fine.

I buy my washing crystals from Asda - I get a kilo for about 90p. Again, I don't need much, so this quantity lasts a *long* time.

I have not been able to source soap flakes anywhere, so I grate a cheap bar of standard body soap & it seems to do the trick.

Good luck - it's amazing how much money you can save for such a simple thing to do!

Hi, I buy borax substitute from the UK (Spiritofnature.co.uk) and it works out reasonable if you're buying other stuff too. I found it in a discount shop once alongside white vinegar but the shop's closed down now.

You can get soda crystals (washing soda) from Tesco in Naas so I'm sure they'd have it in the other big branches too. They also sell Granny's original all natural (blah blah) soap flakes!

Hope this helps you both.
Advertisement
24-10-2012, 00:34   #10
PaddyORuadhan

anyone know any chemists in the dublin area that sell borax? I read somewhere that EU regulations restrict its sale. Just curious if anyone knows anywhere that sells it.

Cheers.
24-10-2012, 10:16   #11
Hoof_Hearted

Borax

I got some recently in the Pharmacy in Newtownmountkennedy, they asked what it was for so maybe that's the restriction, rather like when they sell methylated spirits, they have to satisfy themselves of it's purpose. Maybe they all sell it.
24-10-2012, 12:45   #12
crowed23

Borax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyORuadhan View Post
anyone know any chemists in the dublin area that sell borax? I read somewhere that EU regulations restrict its sale. Just curious if anyone knows anywhere that sells it.

Cheers.
Hi Paddy, I haven't tried chemists but I recently requested that it be stocked in Tesco in Naas - will try to come back to you if and when I see it there. If they'll stock it there, maybe they'll stock it in other branches by request?
24-10-2012, 13:10   #13
looksee

I have bought washing soda in Tesco before now, I put some down the drains occasionally with some boiling water. My daughter in law washes with bread soda (I think, must check) as she has allergies.

There is quite a lot of variation in Tesco over what different shops sell, so you might try another branch.
24-10-2012, 19:54   #14
PaddyORuadhan

Cheers thanks for the answer. My local boots actually had it. I know there have been restrictions but still available behind the counter in boots. Needed borax and not a substitute as I'm using it for smelting gold.

Cheers.
08-12-2012, 03:04   #15
Dawn Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophiopogon View Post
I've been trying to source washing soda too, have checked supermarkets and health shops and can't find it anywhere.

Also, trying to find castile soap, and where to bulk buy baking soda and vinegar.
According to google, Castile soap is good old olive oil soap. Just called Castile after where it's made in Spain.

I get my olive oil soap in the health food store Holland & Barrett for €1.39 per 125g bar

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/page...20soap&rdcnt=1

Hope this helps

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion