Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Super unleaded petrol

Options
  • 03-12-2011 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Was having a gander at the owner manual for me car it said its optimised to run on super unleaded fuel ( I'm sure all car manuals say this )

But I wanted to know the pro's of having a car run in this for a empty tank to full.

Also where provides this fuel and price difference and your own experiences

Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Rob, is your car a performance car? On the fuel cap on mine it says 98RON minimum!

I haven't seen super unleaded fuel for sale since the "R" started.

I'm using lucas octane booster every so often but it's €15 a bottle. One bottle treats 25 gallons. GaryITR said that urban performance sells miller's OB but I don't know about prices.

Our cars are optimised to run on 98RON but it's said that the ECU is able to tell if a lower RON is in the car and adjusts accordingly. Still, you mightn't get the same performance as you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Maxol unleaded (E5) is supposedly 99 octane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Rob, is your car a performance car? On the fuel cap on mine it says 98RON minimum!

I haven't seen super unleaded fuel for sale since the "R" started.

I'm using lucas octane booster every so often but it's €15 a bottle. One bottle treats 25 gallons. GaryITR said that urban performance sells miller's OB but I don't know about prices.

Our cars are optimised to run on 98RON but it's said that the ECU is able to tell if a lower RON is in the car and adjusts accordingly. Still, you mightn't get the same performance as you should.

07 1.4sei dsi civic

Thing has very specific engine oil to be fair.

It just said it in the manual it's iptomised to run super unleaded or 99+

But I doubt that car had ever seen anything above 95.

Does these fuel cleaners you speak off work ? Worth the monies and so on ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Virtually all to all the petrol in Ireland is E5, and E5 blends are rarely less than 97 octane. Obviously the bare minimum you're going to get is 95 and you've no guarantee it won't be only 95...

Maxol, however, do claim that their E5 is 99.2.

You can get Super even at the Irish chains (Topaz, Emo) in NI but its sold as 97 minimum, and I suspect it is just E5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

MYOB wrote: »
    Virtually all to all the petrol in Ireland is E5, and E5 blends are rarely less than 97 octane. Obviously the bare minimum you're going to get is 95 and you've no guarantee it won't be only 95...

Maxol, however, do claim that their E5 is 99.2.

You can get Super even at the Irish chains (Topaz, Emo) in NI but its sold as 97 minimum, and I suspect it is just E5.

My last few fill ups have being at texaco .... I thought the pump handle itself said 95 octane ?

But Im not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

I tray all type of petrol and i can say:

91 octane from Germany - never again
    95 standard in EU and Ireland
    98 no difference between 95, so why pay more ? the same for 99 octane ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

robbie_998 wrote: »
    My last few fill ups have being at texaco .... I thought the pump handle itself said 95 octane ?

But Im not sure

95 is a guaranteed minimum, that's all. You could sell the 102 octane stuff that costs £2.50 a litre at BP as "95" if you wanted.

Most to all Maxol pumps say 95, despite their guarantee that a certain list of stations only sell 99.2.

The Irish Standard in relation to petrol covers 95, which is another reason its quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

98 no difference between 95, so why pay more ? the same for 99 octane ;)

If your car is designed to run on 95, then any more octane fuel than 95 won't be any advantage for you.
    However if car is designed to run on 98, then when you put 95, the knock-sensor will retard ignition timing to prevent engine knock, and therefore lower the power output.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

CiniO wrote: »
    If your car is designed to run on 95, then any more octane fuel than 95 won't be any advantage for you.

Yes, i know ;)
    However if car is designed to run on 98

This is the point, any example of car made for 98 octane ;)

Normally car is adjusted to country where is sell, in Ireland standard is 95 octane and all cars sell in Ireland is set up for 95 octane.

Car from import is another story ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

if car is designed to run on 98, then when you put 95, the knock-sensor will retard ignition timing to prevent engine knock, and therefore lower the power output.

+1 I had a 2007 petrol Golf GT which is optimized for 98 but will run on 95 as you described. The E5 stuff in Maxol is indeed a high octane (Maxol say 99) but the problem is that Ethanol has a lower energy rating (MegaJoules per litre) than the 95 unleaded to which it's added meaning that a litre of E5 has less energy than a litre of unleaded 95 so what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabout.

From Maxol website....
    • One litre of Unleaded has a calorific value of 31 MJ.
    • One litre of Bioethanol has a calorific value of 21.2 MJ.
    • One litre of E5 has a calorific value of 30.51 MJ.
    http://www.maxol.ie/general-content/e5-questions-answers

I couldn't detect any improvement in performance with E5 so I just stuck with normal 95 unleaded.

The higher octane rating is simply an unintended consequence caused by the fact that Ethanol helps prevent pinking so it raises the octane at the expense of less energy.

• Advertisement

Yes, i know ;)

This is the point, any example of car made for 98 octane ;)

Normally car is adjusted to country where is sell, in Ireland standard is 95 octane and all cars sell in Ireland is set up for 95 octane.

Car from import is another story ;)

Like I said, there's a label on the inside of my fuel cap that says "MIN 98 RON UNLEADED".

If you normally run your car with 95RON and put in 98 RON and drive off, you will not notice a difference. You must disconnect the battery and reconnect it so the ECU can see the difference in RON values.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Like I said, there's a label on the inside of my fuel cap that says "MIN 98 RON UNLEADED".

If you normally run your car with 95RON and put in 98 RON and drive off, you will not notice a difference. You must disconnect the battery and reconnect it so the ECU can see the difference in RON values.

Are you referring to a specific model which can't detect the difference automatically? In the case of my Mk V Golf GT (2007) the engine itself detects when you put in 95 or 98 and adjusts the timing accordingly, in the way Cinio pointed out earlier......
    However if car is designed to run on 98, then when you put 95, the knock-sensor will retard ignition timing to prevent engine knock, and therefore lower the power output.

I'm not sure if it detects it automatically or not but I was told by someone whos car has the same engine that you have to disconnect the battery.

After putting the octane booster into the tank, I am noticing a huge difference in acceleration just in case anyone wants to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

I'm not sure if it detects it automatically or not but I was told by someone whos car has the same engine that you have to disconnect the battery.

After putting the octane booster into the tank, I am noticing a huge difference in acceleration just in case anyone wants to know!

Heard that works alright, but I would be worried it would reset my map as well if the battery was disconnected for a long period.

I fill up on the Maxol stuff when I get the chance, haven't noticed any difference myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Something to consider if you are running 95 is a car specified for 98 or above is the possibility of torching your valves/valve seats if you run it on 95 for too long. The by-product of the timing being retarded by the ECU is that the flame continues longer that it would otherwise after ignition (even after the lower octane is taken into account). TBH is is more of a worry than detonation with a semi-modern engine with knock sensors.
    How long it takes for this damage to occur is anyones guess really but I've seen this with a few FI motors over the years.

Advertisement