Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-12-2011, 14:19   #1
markpb

New bus stops on SSG-North

I spotted these bus stop poles on St. Stephens Green North a while ago - they're a little different to the normal ones. I presume there was a dispute between DCC/DB/OPW which is why they're not on the footpath any more but surely they'll come to a nasty end the first time a bus driver misjudges the location of his bus?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000352.jpg (402.1 KB, 431 views)
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-12-2011, 14:27   #2
lxflyer

The footpaths around St Stephen's Green are owned by the OPW - nothing to do with DCC.
01-12-2011, 14:45   #3
Bazzer2
Closed Account

Isn't that what the OP mentioned?

The OPW come across as elitist as to not allow a shaggin' bus stop pole on publicly-owned property.
(2) thanks from:
01-12-2011, 15:00   #4
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxflyer View Post
The footpaths around St Stephen's Green are owned by the OPW - nothing to do with DCC.
The bus stops used to be on the OPW-owned footpath though - the photo shows that. I wonder why there was a change of heart?
01-12-2011, 15:09   #5
BenShermin

[searches for bus stop of the month series thread]...
Advertisement
01-12-2011, 15:14   #6
lxflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzer2 View Post
Isn't that what the OP mentioned?

The OPW come across as elitist as to not allow a shaggin' bus stop pole on publicly-owned property.
Just pointing out the distinction.

It is utterly daft.
01-12-2011, 16:28   #7
Jehuty42
Closed Account

Jesus christ that's hilarious. The perfect storm of quango nonsense. I eagerly await AlekSmart's take on this.
01-12-2011, 16:54   #8
KD345

You would hope a busy stop like this would be Kassel Kerb. As that photo shows, any wheelchair passenger, and indeed bus driver, has to negotiate a bendy bus stop, a concrete pillar and a low footpath.

Meanwhile around the corner, there is a Luas station built onto the footpath complete with ticket machine, signage and railings.
(3) thanks from:
01-12-2011, 17:08   #9
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxflyer View Post
The footpaths around St Stephen's Green are owned by the OPW
They're not owned by the OPW, they're owned by the public and in the care of the OPW.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-12-2011, 19:44   #10
Aard

Saw that the other day. If the reason is some lack of coordination between state bodies, then that's ridiculous. In fact, it's ridiculous no matter what the reason is.
01-12-2011, 20:55   #11
richard2010

Thats bent!! (Sorry couldnt resist!)
Thanks from:
01-12-2011, 21:03   #12
-Chris-
Closed Account

That's one of the most blatantly stupid things I've ever seen!!
(2) thanks from:
02-12-2011, 00:01   #13
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
That's one of the most blatantly stupid things I've ever seen!!
A big +100 to that Chris.

However to those who have followed the codology at St Stephens Green North over the years it's merely more of the same.

I note that some of the private operators either made a donation to the OPW's Christmas Party Fund or told the same OPW to go and Flúich themselves (Choose only one) as some Private Bus Stops remain on the footpath closer to the Horse Trough.

It's also worth pointing out that the OPW appears not be be bound by the various pieces of legislation governing disability in this Republic,as they have resolutely refused to remove or alter the positioning of their stone bollards to allow safe access to fully-accesible Bus Services...let them eat cake,I suppose is their motto ?

The City Council play a part also,as they steadfastly refused to delete 10 Pay n Display parking spaces to allow for 11 mtr Tri-Axle buses to do their thing in safety rather than having to attempt miracles dodging parked cars and equally parked Taxi's.

Quite what Bus Atha Cliath are doing playing along with this crackpottery is beyond me.

However,I suspect that once the OPW's Christmas Party fund is suitably topped up the original Stops will re-appear,particularly as the true-form bases remain in situ....

However,the issue provides graphic evidence of just why this country is in the current mess....can one even begin to imagine just how much Official Time and Effort went into this...and how little actual consideration has actually been given to the poor bloody clowns who use Public Transport and dare to walk pn that hallowed footpath...the bloody cheek of them !!!!!!
(3) thanks from:
02-12-2011, 00:20   #14
foggy_lad

The country is on the bones of its backside and bailiffs are putting people out on the streets and those highly paid bastards wasters are costing us a absolute fortune with their nonsense, interdepartmental bickering and bullsh1t.
(3) thanks from:
03-12-2011, 12:31   #15
antoinolachtnai

Send a message via AIM to antoinolachtnai Send a message via Yahoo to antoinolachtnai
The placing of bus stops and their signs is not a matter for either the OPW or Dublin City Council. It is a matter for the Garda and the operator. It is an offence to interfere with a bus stop sign.

(Road Traffic Act, Section 86)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion