Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia Vs Superb

Options
  • 26-11-2011 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some opinions here. Was down in Sinnott Auto's today and I was looking around for something for the new year. I looked at the Superb Combi 1.6TDi, which is really nice. Tax only €156 too. Although, the 1.6 engine seems too small, in my opinion and the fact that it's only got half leather kinda makes me look for something else. I looked at the Octavia Scout 4x4 2.0TDi too. Tax on this is €302, which isn't too bad compared to the €1300 I'm paying now. Again, no leather...I asked the salesman if it was worth paying the extra cash for the Octavia, and of course he said yes.
    Last year, I covered 27K miles in my GS300 so I want something that will be capable of doing that, and a bit of off-road (Octavia wins that battle), I also use a trailer for work. An Octavia ticks all the boxes, but the interior is too plain, but the interior in the Superb is nice. With looks, the Superb wins by a mile but the Octavia would be much more practical. So, in your opinion, is it worth spending the extra cash for the Octavia ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is a Superb 4x4 version too, you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

peasant wrote: »

Is it as high up off the ground as the Octavia Scout ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

peasant wrote: »

And one with full leather - Elegance trim rather than the Ambition you were looking at.

2.0tdi 140 Superb Combi is now in the 156 tax bracket for the fwd versions. Think 4x4 models are still 447 to tax though.

R.O.R wrote: »
    And one with full leather - Elegance trim rather than the Ambition you were looking at.

2.0tdi 140 Superb Combi is now in the 156 tax bracket for the fwd versions. Think 4x4 models are still 447 to tax though.

Price ?

Rolli wrote: »

Price ?

I am pretty much a walking encyclopaedia of new car specs and prices, but I'm struggling on Superb Combos at the moment.

Try the new car section of carzone, will list all models, specs and prices there. Should be up to date, just make sure the emissions on the 140 ps models is around 130.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

www.skoda.ie has all the cars updated, I was checking it out yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

There is no "scout" variant of the Superb, so it wont have the slightly higher ground clearence of the Octavia scout.

I think the 'chunky' bumpered look of the Octavia seems a bit odd, but your having what is essentially an Audi A4 Allroad for about 15k less, and its boot is far larger than the Yeti, so I agree it ticks a lot of boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

There is a "rough road" option available for the Superb Combi in some markets which adds sump guard, skid plates and increased ground clearance but I don't know if it is available in Ireland, might be worth asking the dealer if it can be ordered.

If it was my money I would go for the Superb, it's much earlier in it's life cycle, I'd guess a new model Octy will appear during your ownership of the car so you are probably looking at eye watering depreciation for what is a pretty high spec Octy.

I haven't driven the 1.6 litre Superb just the 2.0 but I'm told it is well able for normal road speeds.

If it's company money or you are frequently pulling horse boxes or the like the balance might change...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I'd probably get the Superb over the Octavia unless I really needed the extra ground clearance. Either way, Skodas tend to get a slightly higher ride height than their VW brethren AFAIK.

It's basically Passat (Superb) vs Golf (Octavia). Since both platforms are based on the same hardware kit (the Passat 3C upon which the Superb is based, is a stretched Golf 1K platform), there's little enough difference in suspension and engine choice. Superb has bigger interior and boot if carrying luggage and people is important.

Either will be more than capable of covering 27000 km a year.

I am pretty much a walking encyclopaedia of new car specs and prices, but I'm struggling on Superb Combos at the moment.

Try the new car section of carzone, will list all models, specs and prices there. Should be up to date, just make sure the emissions on the 140 ps models is around 130.

The Superb Combi 2.0TDi 4x4 Elegance starts at €38000...out of my budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Superb for me too. In fact I'd have a superb over a passat any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

the 1.6tdi (green line) superb combo is actually lower than the standard ... to do with drag and to make it more 'green'

the elegance spec is the only way to go .. you don't have to worry about ticking any options on the order form.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Superb for me too. In fact I'd have a superb over a passat any day of the week.

Even though the extra ground clearance would come in handy, I'd probably go for the Superb now after looking at the spec of the elegance if it was in my price range :(

Even though the extra ground clearance would come in handy, I'd probably go for the Superb now after looking at the spec of the elegance if it was in my price range :(

I looked at just about every estate on the market and ended up buying the superb .. the volvo v70 was a close second

whippet wrote: »
    I looked at just about every estate on the market and ended up buying the superb .. the volvo v70 was a close second

Can I ask what spec you went for in the Superb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

the elegance spec is the only way to go .. you don't have to worry about ticking any options on the order form.
    Not true...I was looking at Superb Elegances before I settled on another make and model - there are a lot of big optional extras, such as a panoramic sunroof, self-parking, etc. If you don't agree, go on the Skoda web site and see all the options for yourself.

The Superb is a fantastic car but I think Skoda have shot themselves in the foot regarding marketing - there are too many variations within the one model and it's very confusing for Joe Punter.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The superb 4x4 elegance wiith dsg in the 140bhp comes to 42 with metallic I think. Some car though and decent value for money for the spec, although it will lose value very quickly. Be nice to plenty with that spec bought to see them filter down over the years!

Of course there are options left to tick like the paddle steering wheel, keyless entry and 18" alloys, but it's an excellent spec with everything most would want except for metallic paint. Also the rough road package is on the options list to be ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

copacetic wrote: »
    The superb 4x4 elegance wiith dsg in the 140bhp comes to 42 with metallic I think.
    Horrific deprecation. Buy it one year old and let someone else lose up to €20K of their money.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Horrific deprecation. Buy it one year old and let someone else lose up to €20K of their money.

Agreed, that's why the next line of my post said
    copacetic wrote: »
    . Some car though and decent value for money for the spec, although it will lose value very quickly.

Not true...I was looking at Superb Elegances before I settled on another make and model - there are a lot of big optional extras, such as a panoramic sunroof, self-parking, etc. If you don't agree, go on the Skoda web site and see all the options for yourself.

I got the elegance spec and the only option I took was the 'hill hold'

As standard the elegance has:

Park Assist (self park)
    Adaptive Bi-Xeons
    Leather
    Sat Nav
    Bluetooth
    Front and Rear parking sensors
    DVD
    Heather front & rear seats
    electric memory seats
    climate control
    cruise control
    voice control

The only other option I considered was the panoramic sunroof but at an extra €1300 or so I wasn't interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

You would want to so in-fúcking-sane to spend 42k on a Skoda.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    You would want to so in-fúcking-sane to spend 42k on a Skoda.

What else would you spend 42k on, that gives you leather, self park, estate, 4x4 etc.

Anything else with that spec is going to cost a shed load more, and lose more than the Skoda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

What else would you spend 42k on, that gives you leather, self park, estate, 4x4 etc.

Anything else with that spec is going to cost a shed load more, and lose more than the Skoda.

The Passat depreciates just as much. Try and spec a Passat with what the Suberb comes with and see the price. I would never buy a Passat again I was asked 20k this year to trade up from a 08...:rolleyes:

I got the elegance spec and the only option I took was the 'hill hold'

As standard the elegance has:

Park Assist (self park)
    Adaptive Bi-Xeons
    Leather
    Sat Nav
    Bluetooth
    Front and Rear parking sensors
    DVD
    Heather front & rear seats
    electric memory seats
    climate control
    cruise control
    voice control

The only other option I considered was the panoramic sunroof but at an extra €1300 or so I wasn't interested

Sounds lovely, awful pity my budget won't stretch :(

Sounds lovely, awful pity my budget won't stretch :(

Would you consider a year old one????. What year is the GS I would love one.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Would you consider a year old one????. What year is the GS I would love one.

I would consider something one or two years old but not a Skoda. My GS is 04

I would consider something one or two years old but not a Skoda. My GS is 04

Very nice car. Is that the newer model or the older one.

Give Tarrants in Banteer a shout. They are a good bit cheaper than everyone else..

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Had an Octavia a few years ago, it was 4 yr old when I bought it and 50,000 mile, it was nothing but trouble, It had a leaking windscreen, a door that refused to open, heater blower motor burnt out, 2 x coil pack failures, rear wiper motor problems, headlamp motor failed. my neighbour also had the first 2 problems with his Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Surely there is a new Octavia model due soon, the current model has been around since 2004 and is now showing it's age.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Surely there is a new Octavia model due soon, the current model has been around since 2004 and is now showing it's age.

Next year and a facelifted Superb too..

Advertisement