Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broad Lough

Options
  • 23-11-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Can any locals tell me if there is access to Broad Lough in Wicklow? I went up the industrial park road, but it is a dead end and doesnt seem to be any access from there, any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

One walks up the coast along The Murrough, which is the grassy bit between sea and railway. There are a couple access points over the railway.

There is parking available at the dead end, I assume this is where you turned around.

If you want to access the northern part of Broad Lough and you have a high clearance vehicle, one can drive down Killoughter lane and park at end. This lane is not suitable for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Thanks MM I only have a little car so better not chance
    the lane :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Can any locals tell me if there is access to Broad Lough in Wicklow? I went up the industrial park road, but it is a dead end and doesnt seem to be any access from there, any help much appreciated.
    Walk North to the end of the industrial park area. At the end turn west and it leads you through scrub until you reach Broad lough. Continue North up the whole eastern side of Broad Lough. Head early so you won't be against the sun for your photos. Plenty of oppurtunity for good photos of waders.

I went up the other lane MM described and got stuck before:o. I only have an ickle car as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Booooo to waders, go for the Osprey! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

whyulittle wrote: »
    Booooo to waders, go for the Osprey! :p
    Is there one there at moment?
    I had one that roosted overnight with me and spent the days at Broad Lough couple years back.

By the way, if you're in Wicklow so Hi to my swans :)

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    Is there one there at moment?
    I had one that roosted overnight with me and spent the days at Broad Lough couple years back.

By the way, if you're in Wicklow so Hi to my swans :)

There is indeed, has been there for the last two days, I cant get there till Friday so I am keeping everything crossed it will still be around!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Pictures of him over on the Irish Birding site www.irishbirding,com
    I believe White Tail Sea Eagle (star) is back again also after a holiday in Lough Erne for summer. But cant confirm. Wicklow has got to be raptor capital of Irealnd. There's not much you dont see here.

Star has left Wicklow, and has been in Westmeath since the 13th. Up around Mullingar though, yuck.

Any luck with this Rainbowsend?

Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day, and I'm up for heading somewhere new. Looks handy enough to get to as well.

I went on Thursday afternoon, just to see if I could find my way and I did, about a 20min walk from the carpark to the actual lake, plenty of seagulls and ducks around but didnt catch sight of the Osprey. There was no sightings reported for Thursday at all, or Friday but a sighting for today. Sunday is not really a good for me to escape but I was thinking of going at daybreak for a couple of hours I might be lucky. I would love to have a glimpse of him let alone a photo! :)

• Advertisement

Peregrine and Short-eared Owl at Broad Lough today.

That's what I get for staying in bed. :o

whyulittle wrote: »
    Peregrine and Short-eared Owl at Broad Lough today.

That's what I get for staying in bed. :o

I went down there early, but didnt see the Osprey, or the
    Peregrine OR the Owl, but I think I saw two Harriers, lots of
    Brent Geese, Egrets, Curlews, Heron, Widgeon, Turnstone,
    Sandpipers, swan and seagulls. Couldnt stay too long so thats
    why I missed the Owl, though it is a big enough area and I could
    have been in the wrong place! There are no reports of an Osprey
    sighting today anyway, so he might have gone on the big wind
    last night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Is there not another way to broadlough from Tinnyilly House?

Is there not another way to broadlough from Tinnyilly House?

There is yes, via Tinakilly House but it is a private road to a house, very narrow
    too by all accounts, I wouldnt imagine the owner would be too pleased if the lane was blocked up with cars though, I dont know how far of a walk it would be if you parked at the hotel and walked down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

There is yes, via Tinakilly House but it is a private road to a house, very narrow
    too by all accounts, I wouldnt imagine the owner would be too pleased if the lane was blocked up with cars though, I dont know how far of a walk it would be if you parked at the hotel and walked down?

The laneway from Tinakilly House Hotel is very narrow, but there are one or two places to pull in at the end. From the hotel it is about 1Km to Broad Lough. From here you have a good view over the central and southern part of Broad Lough.

Note that the road ends at a private house which you can't walk around.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=53.0027761&lon=-6.0570073&z=16&l=0&m=h

Advertisement