Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT011 Aviation Technology

Options
  • 21-11-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    just wondering if anybody is studying this and can give me an insight as to what it's like? and what kind of hours is in it.
    Cheers,
    Lefty :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kerrangatang92

Hi,
    Im currently studying this course. The class size is about 50, and everyone seems sound and all-like minded with a good interest in planes. (I was quite suprised by this really) The lecturers are real helpful and make the modules interesting, and also give us a heads up about what is happening in the aviation world every once and a while.

There is 23 hours a week, with a class every week out in the Aviation Technology Centre out by the airport (not in the airport). This is a hangar with three aircraft in it including a helicopter and an old air corp jet. Its a pretty good class, get to go in the cockpits and stuff. Just the other week, we went on a field trip to the airport to see the Cityjet maintenance hangar (massive) and got a tour of the coast guard sikorsky helicopter out there. The craic messing on the PA system in one of the cityjet planes was unreal!

As for workload, fairly hectic. More work than I expected. For half of this semester we have to do a 2000 word lab report each WEEK on top of assignments for 3 of the other modules. So far though, i havent noticed any dropouts so i guess people are handleing this.

The modules themselves are quite interesting, thats if you have any interest in aircraft anyways! Also, if your doing physics or engineering for the leaving cert, it would help a little, as there is physics involved in the electrical module and some metal work when your in the ATC. I never did engineering and i managed however.

Jeeze, didntt mean to write that much. Hope this info helped ypu a bit. For me, im definately glad i picked this course.

Il be glad to answer any other questions.
    Kerrangatang.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Thanks very much :)
    I'm looking forward to this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Yup I was hopeing to do this course last year, but was 10 points short...so ended up doing engineering plc course, so hopefully will get in next year :) Though I still cant make up my mind which course to choose aircraft systems or this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

i'm looking into this course atm and i want to know what the maths are like in it? because i'm the kind of person really into aircraft, but not really into maths lol. are the maths really hard? also was wondering about the electronics and aerodynamics in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannye92

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    i'm looking into this course atm and i want to know what the maths are like in it? because i'm the kind of person really into aircraft, but not really into maths lol. are the maths really hard? also was wondering about the electronics and aerodynamics in it?

the maths is handy enough 3 hours on it a week and a 1 hour tutorial if you need it..handy enough though we had a test there the other week worth 30% of the final grade and we were allowed use our notes :P some physics involved in the electrical part but not too hard :-) the aerodynamics is handy enough too..defo shtick it down on the CAO anyway :-)

• Advertisement

dannye92 wrote: »

the maths is handy enough 3 hours on it a week and a 1 hour tutorial if you need it..handy enough though we had a test there the other week worth 30% of the final grade and we were allowed use our notes :P some physics involved in the electrical part but not too hard :-) the aerodynamics is handy enough too..defo shtick it down on the CAO anyway :-)

Cheers, I'm doing OL maths fr the lc this year but i never did physics, so do you think AT would suit someone like myself? 3 hours a week doesen't sound too bad lol, thats a relief! What about thermo fluids, Aeronautical workshop practice and avionics like i forgot to ask? I probably should go to the open day and check it out. Thanks for the info :) oh how often do you get exams in this course?

Cheers, I'm doing OL maths fr the lc this year but i never did physics, so do you think AT would suit someone like myself? 3 hours a week doesen't sound too bad lol, thats a relief! What about thermo fluids, Aeronautical workshop practice and avionics like i forgot to ask? I probably should go to the open day and check it out. Thanks for the info :) oh how often do you get exams in this course?

Thermofluids is next semester, so is avionics, the practical stuff in the ATC at the airport is good :-) lots of assignments though one 2000 word report for 5 weeks straight its great crac

Thermofluids is next semester, so is avionics, the practical stuff in the ATC at the airport is good :-) lots of assignments though one 2000 word report for 5 weeks straight its great crac

what's thermofluids like? Yeah airport visits sound pretty good. :) In those reports all you do really is talk about what you did? Ah sure if it's only for 5 weeks I can live with that lol. And after that what happens?

what's thermofluids like? Yeah airport visits sound pretty good. :) In those reports all you do really is talk about what you did? Ah sure if it's only for 5 weeks I can live with that lol. And after that what happens?

Thermofluids is next semester, yeah its basically a report they're handy enough just 1 or 2 that are a bit hard to get the word count up..after that you switch with the other half and do some practical work, riveting etc its good fun and easy enough :-)

Thermofluids is next semester, yeah its basically a report they're handy enough just 1 or 2 that are a bit hard to get the word count up..after that you switch with the other half and do some practical work, riveting etc its good fun and easy enough :-)

also just wondered if you also study fighter jet technology as part of the course? i'm a bit more into that kind of stuff than commercial airliners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 The Baltimore Sun

also just wondered if you also study fighter jet technology as part of the course? i'm a bit more into that kind of stuff than commercial airliners.

Once you get your teeth into aviation (technology) you'll soon realize its all the "same stuff". Fighter jets look different but the same laws of physics apply and nearly all systems work the same way as commercial aircraft.:D

Once you get your teeth into aviation (technology) you'll soon realize its all the "same stuff". Fighter jets look different but the same laws of physics apply and nearly all systems work the same way as commercial aircraft.:D

yeah you're right I guess :D are you doing it? Seriously looks like a brilliant course for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Have any of last years mature students from this course any tips/insight into the mature student interview, hopefully get called up for mine in the coming weeks! This is probably a long shot but thanks for any replies!

2 weeks ago I wnt to the open day on Bolton St. There was a guy there talking about the course and when I asked him about points he said it's been moved up to the high 300's. Last I read it was only 285. Is this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I was at the open day also and Declan Allen, Head of Department Transport Engineering said it depends on numbers applying but 300 should be enough, but obviously aim as high as possible to give yourself a better chance. Last year was high 200s, cant remember exactly but i think 280

IPAM wrote: »
    I was at the open day also and Declan Allen, Head of Department Transport Engineering said it depends on numbers applying but 300 should be enough, but obviously aim as high as possible to give yourself a better chance. Last year was high 200s, cant remember exactly but i think 280

Still a bit of disappointment there though - points moving up. Also the guy said there was a higher demand for the course. I spoke to him and he said doing the couse would be very handy and would also stand out a lot if applying to the Air Corps, which I'm thinking about applying to after I leave college.

i got in on the 2nd round with 290 points

i got in on the 2nd round with 290 points

Well done. Is it worth putting it down do you think? From what I've heard it's a bit of a workload but good craic. I definitley want to put it down but again, I'm kind of worried about it being full of Maths + Physics. Because some courses can be deceptive as in they look and sound good, but then: Mechanical Engineering for example - :D

tumblr_lzj2tvSKj41r9bstao1_500.jpg

Well done. Is it worth putting it down do you think? From what I've heard it's a bit of a workload but good craic. I definitley want to put it down but again, I'm kind of worried about it being full of Maths + Physics. Because some courses can be deceptive as in they look and sound good, but then: Mechanical Engineering for example - :D

definitely stick it down if your interested in aircraft and learning how they work and also how the industry works I loved first year!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭steve2012

ye but you also have to consider that mechanical engineering is one of the most versatile in when you can transfer your knowledge into different areas and work in different sectore. like aviation technology would be one piece of mechanical engineering . but if you think of studying mechanical engineering you can work in the aviation industry and many other sectore , so lets just say if you get laid off in the aviation sectore atleast you can work in other places since mechanical engineering gives you such a wide option and choice ,not sure if any of that makes sense but thats just my thought

• Advertisement

Now I know that points are based on demand for all courses, so I know I won't get a definite estimate. However I mentioned that before I visited Bolton St a few months ago and was told that this course's points would very likely be moving up from 285 last year to possibly the mid 300's this year. Would anyone be able to give me even a rough guess of how much I'd need? If I did get it this year would I be able to reserve my place in the course next year,(?) which is when I'm planning to start college.

Admittedly I'm kind of worried about not making it in, especially now that it seems to have moved up quite a few points. If I didn't get it in the end, would I have more of a chance or even a guarantee next year if I took a PLC course in Electronics for example? Any PLC that would involve material relevent to AT?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ekellyie

Hi, I'm really interested in this course, I've got down as my first choice on CAO and I'm praying to get offered a place.. I've always had a passion for aviation and I'm just wondering roughly how many hours of lectures you do each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

You're looking at about 25 hours a week, a couple days will be 7/8 hours and others will be 4

Advertisement