Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 3 day a week plan for a sub 35min 10km

Options
  • 17-11-2011 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Could anybody point me in the direction of such a plan please :).
    I train martial arts and swimming on my other days, and I have a pb from last year of 38min. I'd be hoping to chip away at this time for the next year, do you think this would be realistic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Similar boat to me PB-wise and I'd be hoping to go sub 36 for 10k next year.

I'll be hopefully hitting 70 mpw though. It is going to be tough on 3 days' training, no doubt about it.

The Daniels plan has 2 sessions 1 week and 3 the next so you could just run those maybe and skip the easy stuff? Any other sub 35 plan I've seen has 6-7 days' running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

think it could be realistic, they'd want to be 3 quality days.interested in replys as i started off this year similiar, never followed plan though but tried to get out for 5 days. got down to 36 but good few distractions so not consistent. perhaps long run on weekend over 10 miles,
    a tempo run@ 5:50 for -4 miles. track session other day? thats my plan anyway
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Donelson wrote: »
    Could anybody point me in the direction of such a plan please :).
    I train martial arts and swimming on my other days, and I have a pb from last year of 38min. I'd be hoping to chip away at this time for the next year, do you think this would be realistic?

What training got you the 38min? was it 3 days a week also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Gringo78 wrote: »
    What training got you the 38min? was it 3 days a week also?

Last year, would have been 2 days a week.
    Wednesday, 10km Run
    Friday, some strength training and 200m and 400m repeats.
    I do spend a lot of time on the bike in the summer so I've a horrible knees in the air style that I'm trying to fix at the moment.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Similar boat to me PB-wise and I'd be hoping to go sub 36 for 10k next year.

I'll be hopefully hitting 70 mpw though. It is going to be tough on 3 days' training, no doubt about it.

The Daniels plan has 2 sessions 1 week and 3 the next so you could just run those maybe and skip the easy stuff? Any other sub 35 plan I've seen has 6-7 days' running.

Cool, thanks, I'll have a good look at this today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Sub-35 off 3 days a week is pretty incredible. 3 quality days and 2 or 3 easy days, fair enough. But that sort of time with 4 days a week of no running. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Last year, would have been 2 days a week.
    Wednesday, 10km Run
    Friday, some strength training and 200m and 400m repeats.
    I do spend a lot of time on the bike in the summer so I've a horrible knees in the air style that I'm trying to fix at the moment.

What kind of pace would the 10k run have been at? People can make dramatic gains in time by increasing training volume and training "smarter". If you were only training 2 days a week last year, then 3 days a week training is a signficant training volume increase and you will thus see a proportional increase in race time i.e someone increasing mileage from 20mpw to 30mpw would see far more improvement than some going from 70 to 80mpw.

Personally, if I was only running 3 days a week, I would only do 2 quality sessions - so 1 day an easy run 10k pace+60-90sec per mile, 1 interval session (mixing it up each week 400's, 800's, km's, mile's) & maybe a tempo type session (4 miles at 10k pace +10-20sec per mile). If 10k is the specific target, this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231396

has some great 10k workouts at 10k pace - the intervals & tempo running would build up your pace but 8 weeks out from the 10k race you might then start doing the specific 10k workouts referenced in the thread.

Specificity of training would always say 6 days running is going to be better than 3 days running, but since you do other sports/cycling you're still training the other days, just don't fall into the trap of trying to do too much quality on the 3 days - you need some easy running to compliment the faster stuff - so start off with just 1 quality session per week and only after 4-5 weeks add a second. I wouldn't see benefit in adding a 3rd, only more risk of injury.

By the way, is there a reason why you can't run very easy pace to and from either the swimming or martial arts training?

What kind of pace would the 10k run have been at?
    Regularly would be <40mins with gut buster being <39min course is as steep as I can find (trying to pack some hill work in on the sly) with 200m/5km down hill on the out, up hill on the way back, split are about -2mins between out and the back.
    Would it be smarter to run an easier out and have some more to give on the up hill?

Personally, if I was only running 3 days a week, I would only do 2 quality sessions - so 1 day an easy run 10k pace+60-90sec per mile, 1 interval session (mixing it up each week 400's, 800's, km's, mile's) & maybe a tempo type session (4 miles at 10k pace +10-20sec per mile). If 10k is the specific target, this thread

has some great 10k workouts at 10k pace - the intervals & tempo running would build up your pace but 8 weeks out from the 10k race you might then start doing the specific 10k workouts referenced in the thread.

Some great stuff here, I'll be printing this out :)
    Specificity of training would always say 6 days running is going to be better than 3 days running, but since you do other sports/cycling you're still training the other days, just don't fall into the trap of trying to do too much quality on the 3 days - you need some easy running to compliment the faster stuff - so start off with just 1 quality session per week and only after 4-5 weeks add a second. I wouldn't see benefit in adding a 3rd, only more risk of injury.

I could probably adjust my swim session to fit around my running, so the swimming would be a +. The Martial arts is tricky, never sure what sort of session you'll get, and I think it would be asking for injury to lean out too much, so from a running point of view I'll away be too heavy. BMI is rock steady at 25.

By the way, is there a reason why you can't run very easy pace to and from either the swimming or martial arts training?

I'd normally cycle if the weather is good. The only reason I don't run is the training gear, but it is exactly 5km each way to the pool (this could be a sign), martial arts session are two hour of tough going so I'm not sure I'd ever make it home.

Peckham wrote: »
    Sub-35 off 3 days a week is pretty incredible. 3 quality days and 2 or 3 easy days, fair enough. But that sort of time with 4 days a week of no running. Wow.
    Do you think it would help if I doubled up on saturday or sunday, it would get me an extra session in the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Do you think it would help if I doubled up on saturday or sunday, it would get me an extra session in the week?
    2 quality sessions in one day? Thats very tough. Maybe an easy run and a tougher session but be careful, your risking injury. See how far you get on your original 3 day a week plan and when you feel you've hit the limit then revise your plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

What kind of pace would the 10k run have been at? People can make dramatic gains in time by increasing training volume and training "smarter". If you were only training 2 days a week last year, then 3 days a week training is a signficant training volume increase and you will thus see a proportional increase in race time i.e someone increasing mileage from 20mpw to 30mpw would see far more improvement than some going from 70 to 80mpw.

Thanks for that link, going to use that for my next 10k training, that McMillan session seems savage altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

For 3 days a week look up the Furman Institute FIRST 10K training plan.

dna_leri wrote: »
    For 3 days a week look up the Furman Institute FIRST 10K training plan.

Great post, looks like a great plan, it has me genuinely excited :o.

I would be interested to see if this plan works. I believe it could but sub 35, I wonder? Maybe you can come back and let us know or start a training log.

I've a good bit of homework to do before i jump into this. and i've a lot of work travel and xmas on the way. So i'm going to get everything in place and start next Jan. I'll start a log as soon as I start the program. In the mean time I'll be working to improve my diet, and running style and possible invest in a garmin 305 to keep me honest.
    Roll on 2012 and my awesome <35min 10Km :D.

nuff said

Advertisement