Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interior Wall -Stud Partition or Block

Options
  • 16-11-2011 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi im thinking of boxing of a part of a big living room to create a bedroom (so we can also accomadate a toilet upstairs)

My question is what method would be best.

I was thinking if i double slabbed and put insulation in the stud it would act as a sound barrier as the room would be sharing a wall with the busy living room.

Or am i being stupid and shound go for a block wall.

Does anybody know if there would be much in the price difference, its a fixer upper house so we are spending on building works but are not on a very tight budget.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Do the stud as you said I would'nt use two slabs just rock wool and use 4x2 better all round and cheaper than blocks also if you do change your mind in a few years, no big deal to move it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

stud wall is the way to go. cheaper faster, drying time with blocks and plaster too excessive in this build.and very messy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Better sound-proofing from a block wall. You might need to consider if your installing a toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Stud wall with 15mm soundbloc board will do the trick as well as the insulation inbetween. You will not hear a thing between rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

yep stud wall would be the way to go!15mm board both sides,insulated and skimmed,double up the 15s if you want to,solid as a rock!;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement