Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

URGENT NEED HELP!!! Contract law: Someone please help me find this quote?

• 13-11-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

There is a quote I have used in my contract law assignment and the trouble is I have no idea where it is from. It is an important quote and I can't misplace it as it backs up my point perfectly. Would anyone be able to help me?

" A vendor should not be put at risk at finding himself contractually bound to so many parties that he can't meet his obligations under each contract. "

Its due in tommorow and I have it finished I was just going through my citations. PLEASE someone help me out here???:confused::confused::confused:

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Can you give any inclination as to what part of contract law it originated from? Consideration, intention to create legal relations, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Advertisements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Sounds like invitation to treat. One of the leading cases on that perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Sounds like the boots chemist case or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Maybe copy and paste it into a search field on whatever databases you've been using.

• Advertisement

yeah its invitation to treat as well. But i just cant find where the damn thing was said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

fufureida wrote: »
    yeah its invitation to treat as well. But i just cant find where the damn thing was said!

Check Carbolic Smoke Ball case ?

It's definitely to do with advertisements, i.e. cases whereby advertisements were intended as invitations to treat.

I think there was some case involving a washing machine on sale at a low price and the court said that the retailer was permitted to limit this offer to "while stocks last" or some other limitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Grainger & Son v. Gough

"If it were so, the merchant might find himself involved in any number of contractual obligations to supply wine of a particular description which he would be quite unable to carry out, his stock of wine of that description being necessarily limited." Lord Herschell

Selective quoting; "the [vendor] might find himself involved in any number of contractual obligations . . . which he would be quite unable to carry out"

Grainger & Son v. Gough

"If it were so, the merchant might find himself involved in any number of contractual obligations to supply wine of a particular description which he would be quite unable to carry out, his stock of wine of that description being necessarily limited." Lord Herschell

Selective quoting; "the [vendor] might find himself involved in any number of contractual obligations . . . which he would be quite unable to carry out"

Hi, are you absolutely sure about this? Just clairifying. Thanks again.

Hi, are you absolutely sure about this? Just clairifying. Thanks again.

Well I don't have the facts or a book to check it but I got this link here http://www.essaybank.com/law/granger-v-gough-invitation-to-treat-v-offer-12385.aspx which quotes the case. If you are doing an essay you surely have access to a Contract Law book or law databases so you can verify it even more if you need to.

• Advertisement

thanks a bunch. Also one last question, if you are familiar with the OSCOLA citing system do you know what they mean when they say ask for the number when citing a case? for example:
    Partridge v Crittenden [1968] QB 2 All ER 421

what does the "2" stand for? Im getting this citation directly from notes, is it in oscola format? thanks much appreciated.

thanks a bunch. Also one last question, if you are familiar with the OSCOLA citing system do you know what they mean when they say ask for the number when citing a case? for example:
    Partridge v Crittenden [1968] QB 2 All ER 421

what does the "2" stand for? Im getting this citation directly from notes, is it in oscola format? thanks much appreciated.

2 is the volume. So if you were looking up the books of the All England Records from 1968 you would be met with at least 2 books from that year and since there is a 2 in your citation then your case must be in that volume.

I just re read your reply, does that mean that that citation is correct?

I just re read your reply, does that mean that that citation is correct?

Yes.

Advertisement