Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elgato EyeTV hybrid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

:eek::eek::eek: Elgato €130+postage

try
    http://www.techtir.ie/reviews/mobidtv-dual-usb-dtt

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JRH

cant see much detail in specs ...

perhaps this as alternative ? ...not sure if it works with mac ... ?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-Mini-DVB-T-MHEG-5-AC-3-Vista-Windowns-7-XP-P160-/250853984213?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a681007d5

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I've had Elgato Hybrid for several years.

Assuming you are using the EyeTV software works perfectly including HD.

Program guide also works but teletext doesn't seem to work properly, it works but not as good as I've seen on other devices

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

:eek::eek::eek: Elgato €130+postage
    Well, it is a hybrid DVB-T, -C, Analogue and FM Radio device so that would partly explain the extra cost, but it's also aimed primarily at Mac users, say no more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I've had Elgato Hybrid for several years.

Assuming you are using the EyeTV software works perfectly including HD.

Program guide also works but teletext doesn't seem to work properly, it works but not as good as I've seen on other devices

Any chance of posting a screenshot of the EPG and do you know if yiu have to pay a subscription to receive the programme guide - it says it "comes with a free one-year subscription to tvtv (where available in Europe) with optional renewal"

I know it's a bit pricy but it could be a neat solution to my Saorview recording needs in that I already have a MacMini near the telly and I only record about three Irish tv shows a week. I could then could give my parents my old DVD recorder and external Saorview box thus decluttering the under tv area somewhat.

Also, to OP, if you are ordering one online its free shipping from the Apple Store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Elgato Hybrid is obsolete.

If you have a Mac, only get an Elgato
    Only get a Digital only version. Check that a Mac Mini is actually powerful enough for H.264 version of MPEG4, AAC, 1920 x1080i and de-interlacing and also that it can do 50Hz / 50FPS output to TV as 50 to 60 frame conversion blurs all motion.

If you don't have a Mac, don't waste money on an Elgato.
    Get a Dual Tuner DTT stick supported by your OS.
    If you are near Border or can receive Wales or likely to be in UK, then get a DVB-T2 USB stick, it will do Saorview too.

watty wrote: »
    The Elgato Hybrid is obsolete.

If you have a Mac, only get an Elgato
    Only get a Digital only version. Check that a Mac Mini is actually powerful enough for H.264 version of MPEG4, AAC, 1920 x1080i and de-interlacing and also that it can do 50Hz / 50FPS output to TV as 50 to 60 frame conversion blurs all motion.

If you don't have a Mac, don't waste money on an Elgato.
    Get a Dual Tuner DTT stick supported by your OS.
    If you are near Border or can receive Wales or likely to be in UK, then get a DVB-T2 USB stick, it will do Saorview too.

Watty,

Is there a Elgato model you would suggest from the bewildering list on their site - http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products.en.html - the specs make my eyes glaze over - though the Diversity seems to be the natural choice as a dual tuner model http://store.apple.com/ie/product/TS584ZM/A

My MacMini is a 2011 model connected to tv via HDMI and seems to handle all video fired at it so far from various sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

I am told that the Hybrid is compatible with Saorview but you must have the most recent version of Elgato eyeTV software.

Just to clarify: I am using a Mac.

yes, it is, but obsolete as it's got analogue. A Digital only USB stick is superior and may be cheaper and better supported.

You must get an Elgato USB DTT stick, nothing else is any use on a Mac.

This is "best" choice for Saorview and Freeview (forget Analogue TV) http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/tuner/diversity08/product1.en.html

But none of the Elgato products do UK "Freeview HD". A SW update can't add that as it needs DVB-T2 HW tuner. The Irish HD MPEG4 & MHEG5 is just a matter of the correct Mac sw on the Elgato DTT sticks.

I'd not buy an Elgato for Windows though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

trmartin wrote: »
    I am told that the Hybrid is compatible with Saorview but you must have the most recent version of Elgato eyeTV software.

Just to clarify: I am using a Mac.

The PCTV nanostick T2 is what you are looking for.

This will work for a MAC, it does both Freeview HD and Saorview (it will only receive Freeview HD if you are near a border area obviously) and its less than €100.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCTV-DVB-T2-290e-Nanostick-Tuner/dp/B004C1176E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1289903119&sr=8-4

Stick-290e-web200.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

STB wrote: »
    The PCTV nanostick T2 is what you are looking for.

This will work for a MAC, it does both Freeview HD and Saorview (it will only receive Freeview HD if you are near a border area obviously) and its less than €100.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCTV-DVB-T2-290e-Nanostick-Tuner/dp/B004C1176E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1289903119&sr=8-4

Stick-290e-web200.png

It only works on a PC. The bundled software allows you to stream SD from the PC to other devices over a network.

AFAIK only Elgato do Apple supported DTT. They are expensive, but anything else may not work on OS X and Mac.

The PCTV (doesn't work on a Mac running OS X) is only worth getting if you can receive Freeview HD as it's x2 ++ the price of other dual tuner sticks that do Saorview (inc HD) and Freeview (no HD). Also ANY DTT stick on a PC can be set up to stream to a Mac. But *NO* PC usb stick works on Mac / OS X unless it has Mac Drivers and SW. The Elgato is the only g'teed Mac solution without a PC somewhere.

yes, it is, but obsolete as it's got analogue. A Digital only USB stick is superior and may be cheaper and better supported.

You must get an Elgato USB DTT stick, nothing else is any use on a Mac.

This is "best" choice for Saorview and Freeview (forget Analogue TV) http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/tuner/diversity08/product1.en.html

But none of the Elgato products do UK "Freeview HD". A SW update can't add that as it needs DVB-T2 HW tuner. The Irish HD MPEG4 & MHEG5 is just a matter of the correct Mac sw on the Elgato DTT sticks.

I'd not buy an Elgato for Windows though.

Cheers, thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

sesswhat wrote: »
    It only works on a PC. The bundled software allows you to stream SD from the PC to other devices over a network.

Cheers for that. I don't use a Mac. You would think that they would have the drivers sorted at this stage.

What about the TV Mini Express. Its DVB-T only so will only do Saorview anyhow. Not to sure of its functionality etc for recording.

http://www.miglia.com/tvminiexpress/

Linux has more support for products made for Windows than OS X. (But mostly via Linux developers rather than the Manufacturers).
    Mac is a niche. Most HW makers simply don't support it. Elagto are primarily an Apple peripheral supplier that have added Windows drivers as that's a bigger market.

I've never heard of Migla (TV Mini Express). Mac users are best to stick to mainstream well known Apple suppliers. So that's why I recommend Elagto for Mac, though I'd never recommend them for Windows or Linux (price). No-one ever bought Apple stuff because it is cheapest or budget. They buy it because they just plug it in an it goes. More like a DVD player purchase than a PC purchase. It's a walled garden Appliance.

evilivor wrote: »
    Any chance of posting a screenshot of the EPG and do you know if yiu have to pay a subscription to receive the programme guide - it says it "comes with a free one-year subscription to tvtv (where available in Europe) with optional renewal"

The EPG is part of the DTT multiplex datastream, so no payment is required

evilivor wrote: »

The EPG is part of the DTT multiplex datastream, so no payment is required

Got an Elgato Diversity - installed it today on my Mac Mini and quite impressed so far. All worked fine, though I did have to wait until after 7pm to get the +1 channel scanned in.

Very easy to add recordings to the schedule, EPG is simple and clear. The remote is basic and not the clearest but effective.

Best of all is the Elgato app that lets me stream live and recorded content from it to iPhone and add/delete scheduled recordings. Cost 3.99 but seems to be worth it.

Haven't had a chance get under the bonnet with it yet in terms of editing recordings etc.

Ordered it through the online Apple store Monday evening and it arrived this afternoon.

EyeTV software is great, you can get a plugin which lets you access EyeTV through the Front Row interface

There is a way to view two channels at once as well if they are on the same multiplex

EyeTV software is great, you can get a plugin which lets you access EyeTV through the Front Row interface

There is a way to view two channels at once as well if they are on the same multiplex

I don't have Front Row - Apple discontinued it in Lion- but the best thing I've found so far is that it can automically convert and output the recordings to my AppleTV and I can also stream the live stream to my phone and mirror that to watch live tv through the AppleTV.

It has twin tuners and all my recordings so far have been faultless. My computer's upstairs, tv downstairs and it work's very well.

V impressed so far.

AFAIK only Elgato do Apple supported DTT. They are expensive, but anything else may not work on OS X and Mac.

The PCTV (doesn't work on a Mac running OS X) is only worth getting if you can receive Freeview HD as it's x2 ++ the price of other dual tuner sticks that do Saorview (inc HD) and Freeview (no HD). Also ANY DTT stick on a PC can be set up to stream to a Mac. But *NO* PC usb stick works on Mac / OS X unless it has Mac Drivers and SW. The Elgato is the only g'teed Mac solution without a PC somewhere.

I have a TerraTec Cinergy Hybrid T USB XS which was supported on OS X Tiger (Intel) with the EyeTV software, it was actually sold as such. I tested it at the time and it worked fine. Not sure if it works on any of the current versions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

EyeTV DTT Deluxe SWISS EDITION Elgato EyeTV DTT Deluxe DVB-T mit Swiss Army Knife on amazon.de Cyber Monday sale today at (17:15 German time) 16:15 Local Irish time. Price: €55.00. Delivery charge will incur.

Advertisement