Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 44: Snickerdoodles

Options
  • 07-11-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

Snickerdoodles

These are nice little cake/cookie things to get you in the Christmas mood, they have nutmeg and cinnamon are and really simple to make.

Baking tray lined with parchment paper

Ingredents:
    125g butter, softened
    110g caster sugar
    1 Egg lightly beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    250g AP flour
    1/2 TSP of nutmeg
    3/4 TSP of baking powder
    1 TBSP ground cinnamon
    1 TBSP Sugar

2011-11-06%25252012.25.52.jpg

Method:
    Preheat Oven to 180’C
    Cream the butter and caster sugar
    2011-11-06%25252012.28.54.jpg

Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until combined.
    2011-11-06%25252012.30.51.jpg

Sift in the flour, nutmeg, baking powder and slowly mix together to form a dough.
    2011-11-06%25252012.34.54.jpg

Mix the sugar and the cinnamon together in a medium sized bowl.
    Roll the dough into golf ball sized balls then roll in the sugar and cinnamon mixture before placing on a baking tray
    2011-11-06%25252012.35.43.jpg

2011-11-06%25252012.36.04.jpg

2011-11-06%25252012.36.27.jpg

2011-11-06%25252012.40.16.jpg

Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until they feel firm around the edges.
    2011-11-06%25252012.51.15.jpg

2011-11-06%25252012.58.52.jpg

2011-11-06%25252013.23.57.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions,
    CC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They look cool. Might make them later as I think I have all the ingredients at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

have these in the oven now, easy peasy recipe, thanks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just put these in the oven now :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

They look delish!! be interested to hear what you think Des and Irishbird!

They are really nice, going to have them with some hot chocolate later

Next time we make them, I think they'd be nice if the shape was changed, instead of making 6/7 golf ball sized cakes, I'm going to make maybe 10 sausage shaped ones, and some proper chocolate dipping sauce, I think that would be awesome.

They'd be good for a chocolate fountain at something like, I dunno, a wedding or something;)

So easy to make, about five mins prep, we actually just whacked everything into the food processor.

Pic is bleedin huage, so just linking it here

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »

They'd be good for a chocolate fountain at something like, I dunno, a wedding or something;)
    I like that idea. :D:D:D

They look great Des. Well done. Deffo think I will have to give them a shot. I was going to do it tonight, but I'm all out of castor sugar! So I might try them tomorrow!!

ChewChew wrote: »

They look great Des. Well done.

It was a joint effort!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ChewChew wrote: »
    I like that idea. :D:D:D

They look great Des. Well done. Deffo think I will have to give them a shot. I was going to do it tonight, but I'm all out of castor sugar! So I might try them tomorrow!!

Chewy have you got a food processor? caster sugar is just normal sugar ground up a bit smaller, so you could stick the normal in the blender part:)

irishbird wrote: »
    Chewy have you got a food processor? caster sugar is just normal sugar ground up a bit smaller, so you could stick the normal in the blender part:)
    I actually dont have a food processor... or normal sugar :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just made these and they were lovely. Thanks OP

Just like Des, the next time I make them I'll make them a slightly different shape, i.e. a little bit smaller. Think I made them too big. I got 9 from the mix. I reckon I'll try and get about 12 or 15 which will mean two loads into the oven, as my biggest baking tray is too small. Or maybe I'll just half the ingredients. It's an extremely easy recipe to make so They'd be great for making if you didn't have much time.

dsc0018zf.jpg

Looking forward to having them with my tea tomorrow morning! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Just made these as I was too lazy to go to the shop for something sweet. Very easy to make and tasty.

Think if I was to make them again I would add in some choc drops. Also, I rolled them long ways and made 12 but they are still pretty big so I think next time I'd go for 14/15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Lovely recipe, usually I only go for the savoury Cooking Club recipes but we all enjoyed this one.

img0379o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Are these like cookies or more like buns?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Emm well they kinda have a cakey consistancy so im not sure if you can define them as cookies really :p at the same time that are not spongy like buns... sooo kinda 50/50 I guess :D

Oh yeah I get 12 of em' from a batch of that recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Perhaps cakey but I made 2 lots and left the second tin in for 5 extra minutes and they are certainly more cookie-like; crunchy on the outside and slightly chewy inside. Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'll admit, I'm intrigued; guess I'll just have to make some myself and find out for sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Made these last night. Didn't bother taking a photo (too lazy) but they were nice. Think I may have over cooked them slightly as I forgot about them - but will definately make them again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

snickerdoodles.jpg

These were great, nom nom. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Esox Lucias

First post in this section. Cooked quite a few things from this forum tho and all have been great, thanks.

Have these in the oven now, if they look edible will take a pic and post it. :D

edit: They were very tasty, only thing is i left them longer than i should have and got burnt bottoms.
    Watch these fellas, they cook quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Made these last night, but didn't want them to be huge cookies, so made teeensy little ones. Very cute and tasty :D Easy to make too. I thought the cinnamon would be a bit overpowering but it was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Great recipe. So easy to make and taste delicious :p

385464_10150407451187259_833992258_8359314_346118828_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

These look delicious, I think I'll have to try them. Just one question though, when you say '250g AP flour' what exactly does that mean? Is it approx 250g of flour or is AP some type of flour I've never heard of?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

AP = All purpose = plain = cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I really enjoyed these, thanks OP.

Jwvlgl.jpg

They are gorgeous!! I just made my first batch... I can see there being many, many more!!!! :D

snickerdoodles.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Made these today, they are delicious, will definitely make them again.

I made a mistake and added 1 teaspoon of nutmeg instead of half a teaspoon, which obviously gave a strong flavour of the nutmeg which I didn't like, will make sure to read the recipe properly the next time I make them.

Thanks for the recipe OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just took mine out of the oven, very tasty. Didn't have nutmeg so used more cinnammon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

This is actually my forth or fifth time to make these, but I never got to take a photo of them.

They didn't burst open this time, which looks really nice, but they tasted just as good! :) Might be down to stale baking powder.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13684

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I made these today, great recipe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I am making these today, got all my ingredients out but then realised that for some strange reason we have neither a weighing scales nor a hand mixer. Converted the recipe into cups and tried to mix them using a magic bullet, just made more washing up for myself! So I hand mixed it, how they will turn out I don't know but the mixture is currently in the fridge. Oh and I used self raising flour as I didn't have all purpose. The kitchen was in quite the state a few minutes ago.

Advertisement