Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8" Android 2.2 Tablet for €99 instead of €323

• 02-11-2011 10:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://eurdeal.ie/deals/eurdeal-special-33

bpad802b1.jpg

Chip VIA8650
    CPU 800MHZ
    Display 8 " LCD panel touch screen:800*600
    System Memory 2GB/256M
    Touch screen Resistive Touch Screen(More sensitive)
    Sockets 1* TF Interface ( up to 32GB)
    1* 3.5MMHeadphone jacks
    1* Power socket
    Buttons 1*Power switch button
    1*Return buttons
    1*Menu button
    1*Voice+-
    Network WIFI: Wireless LAN 802.11
    RJ45
    External:3G(HUAWEIE220/E1750/E156G)
    G-Sensor 360 degree 4-way G-sensor
    Size 220*179*10mm
    Camera 3MP
    Power Battery type Lithium-ion 3200mAh
    Battery life and worktime :Up to 4-5 hours of Standby time, Up to 2-3 hours of surfing the web using 3G data network
    In/Output Adapter input:AC100-240V 50-60Hz
    Output: 9V 1.5A
    O.S. Android 2.2, Support Flash 10.1
    Audio Player MP3、WMA、APE、FLAC、OGG、WAV
    Frequency response 20Hz to 20000Hz
    Video Player AVI, MKV, MOV, TS, M2TS, RM/RMVB, FLV, 3GP, MPEG, DAT, MP4 (support to 1080P:1920×1080)

Bargain or waste of space?
    Anybody any thoughts on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I wonder where it was ever for sale for €323

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dvpower wrote: »
    I wonder where it was ever for sale for €323

that was my worry!
    Its something my friend is looking for his 12 year old son, and with seeing Archos10.1 in Power city for 199e, i think that the Archos might be a safer buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

€99 is cheap no doubt.

But it is a heap of junk imo.

Resistive screen, 256MB RAM, and 800MHZ processor.

It'd do the basics fine, but don't expect anything great out of it. And forget that price of 323, it is not worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

Its a good price if it have unlocked 3g as well I think

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭supersparkz

http://www.gruupy.com/deals/503?referer=http://www.mydealpage.ie/

Slightly higher price and spec. Better touch screen though and claims Market support.

Not affiliated;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

cas2kx wrote: »
    Its a good price if it have unlocked 3g as well I think

Please, don't be fooled.. or misguide someone else, it *does not* have 3G, this tablet, like a good few of the other budget tablets, will allow you to plug in a very small selection of Huawei modems into the USB port.

It has a software driver, but no 3G hardware whatsoever.

The dongle you use will still be unlocked or locked, during use with the tablet, that will not change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ulperson

More than likely for sale in maplin at the 323 price. They have a lot of android tablets I've never heard of. Expensive too but according to the guys there, very big seller.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

kceire wrote: »
    that was my worry!
    Its something my friend is looking for his 12 year old son, and with seeing Archos10.1 in Power city for 199e, i think that the Archos might be a safer buy?

This player is going for €150 in HMV at the moment. I picked one up and am very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭poitinstill

is it not the same spec as some of the ones on focalprice ? Im waiting on one from them with same chipset via8650 got it for $50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

delly wrote: »
    This player is going for €150 in HMV at the moment. I picked one up and am very happy with it.

Can you post direct link (I cant find this offer) ? 150 is a very good price

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The link to the other thread is below. They were online first but are now only instore.

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056431438

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭frankiebaby

I just bought one of these tablets last week. I got it on ebay for £56.99 sterling delivered. I did alot of research into this before I bought it.
    Because its got a VIA8650 chip, you can easily flash it and put a custom android ROM on it.
    You can download the custom ROMs here http://techknow.freeforums.org/
    Custom ROMs for this tab are being released very regularly and have many improvements over the stock android. There are even LITE versions to get some more speed out of it. You can get full market and all the apps, but only after flashing the tablet as out of the box, not much works and its a limited chinese market.
    I can say mine plays 720p video perfectly, and is great for the basics, like email.
    There can be issues with wifi dropping off but this seems to be resolved with a custom ROM also.
    My advice is once you get it, flash it immediately.

Mine has 4gb inbuilt memory instead of the 2gb listed here but dosen't have the 3g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ulperson

I just bought one of these tablets last week. I got it on ebay for £56.99 sterling delivered. I did alot of research into this before I bought it.
    Because its got a VIA8650 chip, you can easily flash it and put a custom android ROM on it.
    Custom ROMs for this tab are being released very regularly and have many improvements over the stock android. There are even LITE versions to get some more speed out of it. You can get full market and all the apps, but only after flashing the tablet as out of the box, not much works and its a limited chinese market.
    I can say mine plays 720p video perfectly, and is great for the basics, like email.
    There can be issues with wifi dropping off but this seems to be resolved with a custom ROM also.

Mine has 4gb inbuilt memory instead of the 2gb listed here but dosen't have the 3g.

Wow didn't know it played video that well. Very handy piece of kit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Resistive Touch Screen(More sensitive)
    ??? someone is telling porkies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Thanks for that FB , what is battery life like ? , does it support Flash ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Lads, using a resistive touch screen is like using those ancient touch screen phones we had a few years ago. think Samsung Taco et al but with an even bigger screen. absolute junk. and don't hold out for an upgrade over 2.2 (even custom) because 256mb of RAM is far too little today. This is one of those products you stop even using after a few weeks. better save up, cause an extra €100 will buy a whole lot more.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Lads, using a resistive touch screen is like using those ancient touch screen phones we had a few years ago. think Samsung Taco et al but with an even bigger screen. absolute junk. and don't hold out for an upgrade over 2.2 (even custom) because 256mb of RAM is far too little today. This is one of those products you stop even using after a few weeks. better save up, cause an extra €100 will buy a whole lot more.
    Not all resistive screens are that bad. Yeah capacitive is better, but I have used resistive which were quite good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110721693056&category=171485&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_2833wt_993

I bought this one for €80 altogether!

Custom rom already flashed, and android market works perfect!

Screen is resistive and wasn't expecting much but its miles better than expected, a lot more sensitive than the phones i've had in the past!

Does the basics well! Web browsing, MSN, watching video's, music, all the apps, i even stream from my dreambox to it..

For €80 it's worth it if your not going to be using it every single minute!

And i for sure would like to get one on xmas morning as a child ;) lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

thanks people.
    ive passed on the info and advised them not to buy and hold out for the 10.1 in Power city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

thanks people.
    ive passed on the info and advised them not to buy and hold out for the 10.1 in Power city HMV.

That's better, I saw about 3 left in HMV Grafton St. on the way home yesterday for €150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

kin9pin wrote: »
    That's better, I saw about 3 left in HMV Grafton St. on the way home yesterday for €150.

Got one in HMV Dundrum for my folks for xmas - they are €300 in Harvey rip off in Nutgrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭frankiebaby

Rooy wrote: »
    Thanks for that FB , what is battery life like ? , does it support Flash ?

Battery life with my custom ROM is about 1.5 hours on full brightness and wifi. the wifi is the biggest drain i've found.
    The screen is not anywhere near as good as a reputable smartphone but I use a stylus with mine mostly which i find works great.
    It supports Adobe Flash. I have 10.1 on mine.
    A housemate of mine got one of these also and he got the keyboard case which comes with a stylus for 20 quid on ebay a few days ago. same as this, great job for the office if you've an ethernet cable handy also for steady fast internet.
    You can get the webcam working also with pretty much any of the custom ROMS, it didn't work out of the box for me

Heres a youtube video of this tablet with v5 of uberoid custom ROM, currently hes released v9.1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

delly wrote: »
    that was my worry!

I also bought this from hmv and its brilliant for the price and according to several blogs ders a honeycomb port coming soon:) which supposedly will come with the android market built in and if it doesn't there's always arctools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

How does this device compare to the iPad 1st generation?

I have one and hate it with a passion. Would like a new tablet but 99 euros seems a little too good to be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

There are lots of these pads around, of varying degrees of quality. From as little as 55 dollars with free delivery, up to 200 for a decent CAPACITIVE screen one.

Advertisement