Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel Considers Pre-Emptive Attack On Iran

• 02-11-2011 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16101552
    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is trying to rally support in his cabinet for an attack on Iran, according to government sources.

The country's defence minister Ehud Barak and the foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman are said to be among those backing a pre-emptive strike to neutralise Iran's nuclear ambitions.

the world is going mad :eek:

have any other news sources confirmed this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

ei.sdraob wrote: »

Just what the doctor ordered for our economic woes, World War 3. No one is going to sit back and allow Israel to do this, Russia and Europe will pitch a fit and I don't think America is in the mood to be dragged into another conflict even as a silent partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭briany

ei.sdraob wrote: »

More like M.A.D.

Thought the world was supposed to be mad already?

It seems like there's always a little bit of a murmur about Iran being attacked. I pray that does not happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Posted this a few weeks ago.
    Dagan describes the current Israeli government as "dangerous and irresponsible" and views speaking out against Netanyahu as his patriotic duty. And his abhorrence of Netanyahu is not uncommon in the Israeli security establishment. Accordingto Think Progress, citing the Forward newspaper, 12 of the 18 living ex-chiefs of Israel's two security agencies (Mossad and Shin Bet), are "either actively opposing Netanyahu's stances or have spoken out against them". Of the remaining six, two are current ministers in Netanyahu government, leaving a grand total of four out of 18 who independently support the prime minister.

In short, while Congress dutifully gives Netanyahu 29 standing ovations, the Israelis who know the most about both Netanyahu and Israel's strategic situation think he is a dangerous disaster.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...828434786.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps someone could mention to the Israeli's that the Iranians might have access to Skynews, thus the element of surprise might be missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

lets all sit back and watch the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Shít will seriously hit the fan if this follows through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Just what the doctor ordered for our economic woes, World War 3. No one is going to sit back and allow Israel to do this, Russia and Europe will pitch a fit and I don't think America is in the mood to be dragged into another conflict even as a silent partner.
    I suppose in the circumstance we might be permitted to burn the bondholders ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Enough with the melodrama lol

Its a speculative 'shock' piece that obviously works on some readers here.
    So a foreign journo is in Israel reading selective Israeli editorials? So what?

Relax. Posturing by a govt in a shaky coalition accompanied by media fuffle. Thats all.
    Madmanijad does the same. Iran does some testing of ballistics. So does Israel.

Syria can't get involved with anything right now, even if proxy support by the likes of Russia to do so is still about. Egypt is in no fit state to do anything either, even on the mediation front. Iraq? Don't make me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Fully support Israel in this act to repel the aggression which comes from Iran on a daily basis. The Jewish people aren't going to just take this any more and accept the aggression from these countries and the attacks.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Enough with the melodrama lol

Its a speculative 'shock' piece that obviously works on some readers here.
    So a foreign journo is in Israel reading selective Israeli editorials? So what?

Relax. Posturing by a govt in a shaky coalition accompanied by media fuffle. Thats all.
    Madmanijad does the same. Iran does some testing of ballistics. So does Israel.

Syria can't get involved with anything right now, even if proxy support by the likes of Russia to do so is still about. Egypt is in no fit state to do anything either, even on the mediation front. Iraq? Don't make me laugh.

Israel planning attacking Iran headlines are now almost as traditional as letters to the IT claiming to have spotted the first swallow of the year ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

I do believe this comes around at least once a year, either Netanyahu needs something or is getting the more Right Wing hawks something to rally around and all this while Israelis are complaining about the spending on the Military at the moment.

http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Article.aspx?id=243640

anymore wrote: »
    Israel planning attacking Iran headlines are now almost as traditional as letters to the IT claiming to have spotted the first swallow of the year ! :)
    True but Israel are just bat sh!t crazy enough to actually go through with it someday, that's what has people slightly worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The best solution (rather than direct attack) for Iran's enemies is too somehow kick start the
    2010 green revolution again and/or encourage ethnic separatism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%932010_Iranian_election_protestsIran
    Iran is essentially fake state (a Perisan union).

Of course encouraging ethnic separatism's is a dangerous game which could set the whole region alright.

There is a case to be made for redrawing borders are over middle east central asia and the caucasus region

606px-Iran_ethnoreligious_distribution_2004.jpg

Bring peace to the world - The partition of Iran into 6 states!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Fully support Israel in this act to repel the aggression which comes from Iran on a daily basis. The Jewish people aren't going to just take this any more and accept the aggression from these countries and the attacks.

No, they'll just continue taking what doesn't belong to them.

True but Israel are just bat sh!t crazy enough to actually go through with it someday, that's what has people slightly worried.

Dont worry I am sure the Isrealis will win and the Syrians will be delighted at the diversion - they might even use it to to end their own problems whilst the world is looking elsewhere.

anymore wrote: »
    Dont worry I am sure the Isrealis will win and the Syrians will be delighted at the diversion - they might even use it to to end their own problems whilst the world is looking elsewhere.
    There will be no win for anyone, Iran is a major trading partner with the three of the four biggest economies in the world. America can try and tell everyone to stay out of it but they'll probably be told to feck off in a very diplomatic way. If China or Russia wade in to protect their sizable interests then all bets are off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Do you fully support the Palestinian people who are subject to aggression on a daily basis from Israel?

Israel is using Iran to take attention off their attempts to further strangle the Palestinian people follwing their victory at winning membership to Unesco. They ae planning to build yet more settlements in occupied territories and are also witholding tax monies owed to the Palestinian authorites due to them not allowing any goods into Palestine.

The hypocrisy of Israel of these nuclear arms comments is beyond belief as it took a whistleblower to tell the world that Israel had nuclear weapons in 1986. Israels response was to imprison him and now bans him from talking to foreigners.

Iran is a country of 75 million people and I somehow don't think the Americans will back the Israeli's if they pursue this wreckless course. The EU is getting tired of Israel and there's only so long Obama is going to keep listening to well placed Jews in the White House. Israel is an obstacle to peace, the only solution is a 2 state country based on the 1967 borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

No, they'll just continue taking what doesn't belong to them.[/Quote]
    Sorry excuse of a reply to what is a very serious topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There will be no win for anyone, Iran is a major trading partner with the three of the four biggest economies in the world. America can try and tell everyone to stay out of it but they'll probably be told to feck off in a very diplomatic way. If China or Russia wade in to protect their sizable interests then all bets are off.

Russia, had very close ties to Serbia, and didn't intervene militarily to aid Milosevic. Milosevic was shocked.
    Nations that can inflict significant losses on each other are unlikely to go to war in modern times. So Russia would be highly unlikely to intervene if America went to war with Iran. They'll do everything they can diplomatically at the UN to prevent such an outcome, though. As we see currently with their blocking of any formal disapproval of Syria by the security council
    As for the latest noises from Nethanyu, Iran now claims to be close to launching its own version of the s-300 Russian defense system. If the Iranian claims are not bogus, Israel, from their perspective, will have to attack before this system becomes fully operational, as it will make it very risky for Israel to launch airstrikes in Iran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

AMerica won't go in this time, it is over-stretched as it is. It isn't really winning in Iraq, or Afghanistan, and although Obama is a major disappointment to the Left, he is not really a warmonger ( more a real politic politician).

What will happen, if anything, will be like their attack on the Osirak. Lots of handwaving from local States, and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

No, they'll just continue taking what doesn't belong to them.
    Sorry excuse of a reply to what is a very serious topic.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a very good reply. Israel has being sh**ing all over the Arabs for years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Iran has the capability to defend itself asymmetrically. That doesn't mean the supremacists in Israel will not attempt to do it. The S-300 and TOR-M1 systems are in place, but with finite warheads. This is where Israel will rely on the USA to overwhelm Irans defences.

Then Bushehr will be cracked open and irradiate the Persian Gulf, ergo the shipping lane of 40% of the worlds oil transit. Tanker insurance companies will not play ball with that, especially when the Hormuz Strait is shut, which Iran has the capacity to do.

Utter madness, these people must be stopped. The fallout from Bushehr alone will screw up the atmosphere in God knows what direction - weather depending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Everyone here need to calm down. Theres not a hope in hell Israel will go to all out war with Iran. These kind of articles pop up every year, several times a year. Nothing will happen, Israel cannot afford this a war like this and nor can America or the rest of the world for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

It has taken me a long time to come to this conclusion but i now have no doubt now that Israel is a terrorist state.
    Netanyahu is a terrorist leader and those Countries that support Israels oppression should hang their head in shame.
    i understand why Israel became so aggressive towards the Arab World.
    i never understood no matter how much i tried why Jewish Americans have so much power though.?

Israel had so much to be proud of at one time,how low it has fallen.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Everyone here need to calm down. Theres not a hope in hell Israel will go to all out war with Iran. These kind of articles pop up every year, several times a year. Nothing will happen, Israel cannot afford this a war like this and nor can America or the rest of the world for that matter.

So I suppose Israeli's equipping themselves with fighter-bombers that can handle the round-trip without running out of fuel and taking orders for bunker busters from the USA are coincidental?

This one is coming down the pipe. My advice, the second you hear of it, get oil heating and petrol, as much as possible.

Russia, had very close ties to Serbia, and didn't intervene militarily to aid Milosevic. Milosevic was shocked.
    Nations that can inflict significant losses on each other are unlikely to go to war in modern times. So Russia would be highly unlikely to intervene if America went to war with Iran.
    Back in the early 90's when the Balkan conflict was going on Russia didn't have a pot to piss in. They were beaten in the Cold War and Afghanistan and were in no mood to intercede in any major conflict. Fast forward 15 years and a resurgent and jingoist Russia went to war with Georgia over a rinky dink "country" like South Ossetia.

Iran is not South Ossetia, it has natural resources coming out it's ears thus the Russians and Chinese will not just sit on their hands if Israel decides to unset the apple cart.

Everyone here need to calm down. Theres not a hope in hell Israel will go to all out war with Iran
    It would begin with 'surgical strikes' that Israel is so good at, who knows how Iran will respond though and does anybody really think that the US under Obama will come to Israels aid this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Back in the early 90's when the Balkan conflict was going on Russia didn't have a pot to piss in. They were beaten in the Cold War and Afghanistan and were in no mood to intercede in any major conflict. Fast forward 15 years and a resurgent and jingoist Russia went to war with Georgia over a rinky dink "country" like South Ossetia.

Iran is not South Ossetia, it has natural resources coming out it's ears thus the Russians and Chinese will not just sit on their hands if Israel decides to unset the apple cart.

Russia would make alot of noise but do nothing,
    Iran not supplying oil to the world means more business for them

hangon wrote: »
    It would begin with 'surgical strikes' that Israel is so good at, who knows how Iran will respond

They'll respond by launching a massive volley of proxy rockets out of the Lebanon. These are not tinpot-fireworks either, they haven't been lauched before, many of them are thermobaric. They'll then have their proxy armies in Iraq go to war, assuming US troops are still there. They'll make hell out of Western Afghanistan. They'll hit Iraqi, Saudi and Kuwaiti oil wells. They'll shu the Hormuz Strait.
    though and does anybody really think that the US under Obama will come to Israels aid this time?

America is an Israeli colony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Border-Rat wrote: »
    So I suppose Israeli's equipping themselves with fighter-bombers that can handle the round-trip without running out of fuel and taking orders for bunker busters from the USA are coincidental?

This one is coming down the pipe. My advice, the second you hear of it, get oil heating and petrol, as much as possible.

Yes it is. Israel is always upgrading its arsenal all year round, this is just another upgrade. I'm telling you, people have been saying Israel will attack Iran since 2006 at least. Now is not the right time for it, with America in such a weakened position, I honestly don't think they'd support them militarly in this scenario.

As for the surgical strikes option, it would take a fair few strikes to take out the targets Israel wants and Iran can only keep its finger off the ballistic missile button for so long. It would only escalate from there.

Yes it is. Israel is always upgrading its arsenal all year round, this is just another upgrade. I'm telling you, people have been saying Israel will attack Iran since 2006 at least. Now is not the right time for it, with America in such a weakened position, I honestly don't think they'd support them militarly in this scenario.

As for the surgical strikes option, it would take a fair few strikes to take out the targets Israel wants and Iran can only keep its finger off the ballistic missile button for so long. It would only escalate from there.

America will do as its told, because America is an Israeli colony. In fact, its now or never. America is in its autumn years, the dollar is finished. The Israelis will want to suck the last blood out of it because it collapses.

That would not stop Netanyahu

My point exactly,Israel is now a rouge State with a terrorist PM who is spiteful and will do whatever he has to do no matter what anybody thinks.

They went to war with Georgia because they knew militarily Georgia was no match for them. So they could defend their interests in that country without incurring major damage.
    Russia and China will do all they can through diplomatic channels to protect their interests in Iran, but neither will go to war with America as it will be far more costly for them to pursue that course

Dotsey wrote: »
    Do you fully support the Palestinian people who are subject to aggression on a daily basis from Israel?

Israel is using Iran to take attention off their attempts to further strangle the Palestinian people follwing their victory at winning membership to Unesco. They ae planning to build yet more settlements in occupied territories and are also witholding tax monies owed to the Palestinian authorites due to them not allowing any goods into Palestine.

The hypocrisy of Israel of these nuclear arms comments is beyond belief as it took a whistleblower to tell the world that Israel had nuclear weapons in 1986. Israels response was to imprison him and now bans him from talking to foreigners.

Iran is a country of 75 million people and I somehow don't think the Americans will back the Israeli's if they pursue this wreckless course. The EU is getting tired of Israel and there's only so long Obama is going to keep listening to well placed Jews in the White House. Israel is an obstacle to peace, the only solution is a 2 state country based on the 1967 borders.
    The topic isn't about Palestine. It is about Iran and Israel and Israel possibly standing up to the aggression by Iran.

The topic isn't about Palestine. It is about Iran and Israel and Israel possibly standing up to the aggression by Iran.

Or Iran standing up to Israeli aggression?
    anyway i thought back seat modding was not allowed since a Politics mod made me re-read the charter.

*what's sauce for the goose, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It would seem theres more than Israel at it.....
    Britain's armed forces are stepping up their contingency planning for potential military action against Iran amid mounting concern about Tehran's nuclear enrichment programme, the Guardian has learned.

The Ministry of Defence believes the US may decide to fast-forward plans for targeted missile strikes at some key Iranian facilities. British officials say that if Washington presses ahead it will seek, and receive, UK military help for any mission, despite some deep reservations within the coalition government.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/02/uk-military-iran-attack-nuclear

Nodin wrote: »
    It would seem theres more than Israel at it...

Surely the Lib-Dems could not support that?

Or Iran standing up to Israeli aggression?
    anyway i thought back seat modding was not allowed since a Politics mod made me re-read the charter.

*what's sauce for the goose, etc
    No one did back seat modding. This thread has nothing to do with Palestine. So no point in bringing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Surely the Lib-Dems could not support that?

Time will tell. These stories could be part of a policy to put the frighteners on Iran or entirely serious. Theres little way of telling.

No one did back seat modding. This thread has nothing to do with Palestine. So no point in bringing it up.

Palestine has everything to do with Israel changing its wish to be left in peace as a Jewish State before three Arab State conspired to invade and destroy it.

• Advertisement

Time will tell. These stories could be part of a policy to put the frighteners on Iran or entirely serious. Theres little way of telling.

Indeed we never hear what Israel does until it is done.
    hard to see how the Lib Dems could support this given their electorate.
    still think Israel will do what it wants when it wants.
    previous posts saying Israel won't make a move because the US is 'weak' at the moment,well Israel will if it is going to strike will do it when least expected............. or most expected.... then they will phone NO 10 and the WH!

Palestine has everything to do with Israel changing its wish to be left in peace as a Jewish State before three Arab State conspired to invade and destroy it.
    No. I think people are sick and tired of every Israel thread discussing Palestine. As far as the title of the topic goes, it is to do with Iran and Israel. I think we should discuss that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Or the could be trying to get Iran to make a Pre-Emptive strike first so then can justify dropping some nukes on them.
    If they want Iran out they need to nuke them, a ground war is not an option.

This could end up being the cuban missile crisis all over again just with a lot more nukes and a lot more itchy trigger fingers, Syria aiming for Israel, India aiming at pakistan, north korea aiming at china, russia aiming at the states and so on and so forth.

This war can't happen, it's daft, no point to it that can justify the destruction it would cause world wide.

No. I think people are sick and tired of every Israel thread discussing Palestine.
    Palestine it seems changed Israeli thinking forever,were it not for Syria, Jordan and Egypt plotting to annihilate Israel, Jewish people would have much less Palestinian ground.
    Israel has never stopped being a warmonger since then IMO.

but i do see your point keith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

It would begin with 'surgical strikes' that Israel is so good at, who knows how Iran will respond though and does anybody really think that the US under Obama will come to Israels aid this time?

your overlooking the little matter of obama seeking re-election , every election is a battle to see which party can whore themselves best to AIPAC , hillariously , in america obama is seen as being not near pro israeli enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭The Outside Agency

oil-barrel-chart.jpg

Indeed we never hear what Israel does until it is done.
    hard to see how the Lib Dems could support this given their electorate.
    still think Israel will do what it wants when it wants.
    previous posts saying Israel won't make a move because the US is 'weak' at the moment,well Israel will if it is going to strike will do it when least expected............. or most expected.... then they will phone NO 10 and the WH!

It's a bit late for the Lib Dems to be worried about their electorate, they've destroyed a lot of their support already. You're right about Israel, they struck Syria and Iraq, when no-one expected. If Netanyahu thinks it'll work politically for him he'll sanction a strike. Obama, will suck up to the AIPAC lobby in order to get- re-elected, so the Israeli government could well be calculating they've a window of opportunity to attack Iran. Perhaps there is also another factor at play; Netanyahu will hold out the carrot of offering Palestnian concessions in return for being given the go ahead to attack Iran. Although with recent moves to speed up settlement development that seems less likely.

irishh_bob wrote: »
    your overlooking the little matter of obama seeking re-election , every election is a battle to see which party can whore themselves best to AIPAC ,

Ha bob no i am not,but as i said earlier i could never get my head around the 'undying love' for Israel even though i have studied it a lot.
    It's a bit late for the Lib Dems to be worried about their electorate, they've destroyed a lot of their support already. You're right about Israel, they struck Syria and Iraq, when no-one expected. If Netanyahu thinks it'll work politically for him he'll sanction a strike. Obama, will suck up to the AIPAC lobby in order to get- re-elected, so the Israeli government could well be calculating they've a window of opportunity to attack Iran. Perhaps there is also another factor at play; Netanyahu will hold out the carrot of offering Palestnian concessions in return for being given the go ahead to attack Iran. Although with recent moves to speed up settlement development that seems less likely.

excellent thought-provoking post nacho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Lol, this board just gets funnier, now it only takes a rumour on Sky to set off an anti-Israeli thread. Let me repeat that...a rumour on SKY. You might as well be basing your opinions on what Bill O'Reilly says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

If the terrorists do attack Iran i'd like to see Iran defend themselves and defend themselves well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement