Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I change my PSU at regular intervals?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Over on the how much is my computer worth thread one poster insists my system is worth less as I have never changed the PSU.
    The PSU is 5 years old and so is the rest of the system(except GPU)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75255685&postcount=1757

Do people really periodically changing. If a PSU has powered a pc stable for 5 years is there any reason to doubt it would continue to do so?
    He claims that the PSU should have blown up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75254720&postcount=1754

I also have a 13 year old system and have never considered changing the PSU.
    Of course electronics degrade with age but it's not unusual to see 20+ year old systems running on original parts. I just don't see why anyone would change psu every few years unless there were signs of a fault.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

That PSU has 32A on the +12V rail. The 260 has a peak draw of about 15A. The CPU will draw ~8A when overclocked. Even with fans and hard drives you aren't coming too close to the limits of that PSU except under full load. While I wouldn't recommend such a setup for someone buying a brand new rig, it shouldn't be a factor for something that's 2nd hand and running fine.

Your case and PSU should be the components that last longest on a rig. You shouldn't need to upgrade your PSU unless you are getting a new graphics card that has a higher power draw than your current one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks I figured it should be fine. I know the 12v rail is the most important and it was 32A which seems ok. I just found his response weird as I have never heard anything like it before so figured I should double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Well he's right; PSUs do degrade over time, but it's nothing huge. If it's from a good brand, we're talking maybe a 0.5% drop in efficiency over a year or two (very rough estimates) so your PSU is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

//edit// nevermind :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sobanek wrote: »
    //edit// nevermind :pac:

Never mind everything you have said or just this last post? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement