Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.simplyelectronics.net ?

Options
  • 31-10-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience with this crowd. Thinking of buying from them they seem cheaper.

www.simplyelectronics.net

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

zweton wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with this crowd. Thinking of buying from them they seem cheaper.

www.simplyelectronics.net

That is a frequently asked question around here. Try searching for "Simply Electronics".

This was my experience: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74286264&postcount=1414

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

never had a problem with them, only they're a bit slower than they claim

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Ditto. Have bought and so has a friend. Neither of us had any problems apart from them being a little slower than they claim.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can confirm the above.

I bought my Canon 550D from them on a Thursday evening, and i had it in my house the following Thursday morning.

I ordered a Nikon D5100 for my mate and a Canon 50mm 1.8 with filter for me 2 weeks ago and i only got the tracking number last night, should be here on Wednesday, But they did keep me informed and told me there was a delay as the Nikon was on special for one week and it flew out so they had trouble getting stock shipped, i didnt mind as there was no rush, my lens is going to the N?orth Pole for Santy to deliver to me anyway, so im not gona get to play with it until then either way :(

I would recommend you pay by paypal, just for extra piece of mind and also, if you need something for a specific important date thats close to their delivery times, then i would have to think twice as it could take 2-3 weeks in reality to show up.

At the end of the day, because i didnt need the items by any specific date, the money saved was worth the wait tbh.
    But heres the important question, Would i order from them again...................Yes i would, the savings way outway any slight delay in delivery for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

I bought a mobile phone from them and they refused to ship the item until i sent them a scanned picture of the visa card i bought the item with and a photo ID!!
    Never have i been asked for such info why purchasing online.
    Even though i pointed this out and advised them that the purchase went through with the additional security of "verified by visa" they refused to send the said item.

Would i buy from them again-no way in hell.

• Advertisement

macman2010 wrote: »
    I bought a mobile phone from them and they refused to ship the item until i sent them a scanned picture of the visa card i bought the item with and a photo ID!!
    Never have i been asked for such info why purchasing online.
    Even though i pointed this out and advised them that the purchase went through with the additional security of "verified by visa" they refused to send the said item.

Would i buy from them again-no way in hell.

That is common security practice nowadays!
    ive had to do that when buying from River Island online, ASOS online (for the GF) and also buying from Karen Millen online.

its to ensure the card holder is present or atleast aware of the transaction and if anything should ease your mind for fraud, if every company online done this we would have a lot less credit card fraud going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

The conon s95 is €255 on this site and roughly €440-500 in the shops.
    Seems too good to be true but its geting good reviews so may buy for that price.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=11468&setcurrency=eur

zweton wrote: »
    The conon s95 is €255 on this site and roughly €440-500 in the shops.
    Seems too good to be true but its geting good reviews so may buy for that price.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=11468&setcurrency=eur

they have an 01 phone number, just call them up and confirm they have one in their UK warehouse, as this way you will 100% avoid customs duty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cbrlover

A friend of mine bought a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 off them. As is the norm it was 2 weeks late getting to him. From day one it didn’t work properly. When you looked into the front of the lens you could see the inners wobble around. He informed them and they suggested he must have dropped it.

After much back and forth with emails they asked him to send it back at his cost. First they said they didn’t get it even though he had it tracked but after 2 weeks they mailed him to say it had arrived.

Up to now you could except things but it all changed. There were no marks on the lens and he took pictures of this before he sent it to them. They told him after looking at it they could “see it had been dropped or something” (their words). The best they could do was offer half the money back, in the form of a credit note.

Now if they had no fault in the matter why offer anything. This went on for months but because they are out of the country it was almost impossible to resolve. He asked about getting it back as he wanted to send it to Sigma to see what they say and find out if it could be repaired and they wanted 100 pounds delivery. It had cost him 35 Euro to send it back to them. Now these two together come to around 150 Euro so it now is at a stage where it is not worth it so in the end they agreed to refund half the money to his card.

My thoughts are if you are happy to wait for the product that is fine just pray you don’t have a problem as you can expect to be Shafted if you do.

Just received my mates Nikon D5100 from SE this morning and also my Canon 50mm f1.8 lens.

Havent opened the boxes yet as my mate is coming over later and the lens is from Santy for me from the GF, so she wont let me :D byt i will tell her i8 need to make sure its working in order to get at least one photo from it later :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

cbrlover wrote: »
    A friend of mine bought a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 off them. As is the norm it was 2 weeks late getting to him. From day one it didn’t work properly. When you looked into the front of the lens you could see the inners wobble around. He informed them and they suggested he must have dropped it.

After much back and forth with emails they asked him to send it back at his cost. First they said they didn’t get it even though he had it tracked but after 2 weeks they mailed him to say it had arrived.

Up to now you could except things but it all changed. There were no marks on the lens and he took pictures of this before he sent it to them. They told him after looking at it they could “see it had been dropped or something” (their words). The best they could do was offer half the money back, in the form of a credit note.

Now if they had no fault in the matter why offer anything. This went on for months but because they are out of the country it was almost impossible to resolve. He asked about getting it back as he wanted to send it to Sigma to see what they say and find out if it could be repaired and they wanted 100 pounds delivery. It had cost him 35 Euro to send it back to them. Now these two together come to around 150 Euro so it now is at a stage where it is not worth it so in the end they agreed to refund half the money to his card.

My thoughts are if you are happy to wait for the product that is fine just pray you don’t have a problem as you can expect to be Shafted if you do.

I have heard of a very similar story to this. Having said that I also know people that have bought from them with no problem. For me the risk out ways the saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AleoN

I have purchased from Simply Electronics and I found them to be excellent. They have a local (01) phone No. and I found no problem getting through to them.
    The item I purchased had free shipping (shipped from the UK) by DHL which had tracking of item. The item took two days longer than expected, but as this was over the long weekend I could understand.

AleoN

AleoN wrote: »
    I have purchased from Simply Electronics and I found them to be excellent. They have a local (01) phone No. and I found no problem getting through to them.
    The item I purchased had free shipping (shipped from the UK) by DHL which had tracking of item. The item took two days longer than expected, but as this was over the long weekend I could understand.

AleoN

yeah my Canon 50mm 1.8 was quoted as 5- working days, but it took 12. Not bothered by that tbh as the savings were well worth it, but it could be a problem for people that needs equipment by set dates etc

but in fairness, if you have left it that late that you need an item within a specific date and its do or die, then a bricks and mortar shop may be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

kceire wrote: »
    yeah my Canon 50mm 1.8 was quoted as 5- working days, but it took 12. Not bothered by that tbh as the savings were well worth it, but it could be a problem for people that needs equipment by set dates etc

It's only about €6 cheaper than Amazon. (€77.95 to Amazon's £71.99).

I'm too impatient, I think I'll stick with Amazon or Onestop digital in future.

It's only about €6 cheaper than Amazon. (€77.95 to Amazon's £71.99).

I'm too impatient, I think I'll stick with Amazon or Onestop digital in future.

yeah i suppose, i never checked Amazon but 72stg is 84e on todays rate plus delivery and Hoya filter comes to 117e. i got it all for 96e including Hoya filter and delivery.

So not a majoy saving, but 20e will go towards my zoom lens eventually :D
    Must check amazon in future, as i never thought about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Free delivery, from UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jazoon

Had 2 purchases with them (after the first was delayed I said I wont use them again but the price was so tempting...) both ware shipped with delays and delivered almost 3 weeks after the quoted time. The customer service isn't the greatest, replay I got was on the lines of "you'll get it when you'll get it"... Having said that the prices are really good. It's up to you if you have the patience to wait for it and you're not really bothered if you get it this week or 3 weeks after go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sazmeise

I ordered 3 weeks ago and still no sign of my android tablet that cost €340. I was charged straight away. They say theres a backlog of orders because they are so busy. Each email response has a different excuse.

I rang today to request a refund (it was intended as a birthday present yesterday). They said i had to email to get a refund (which I had already) and then said they never received the email and to send again.

Anyone had success getting a refund? How long will it take? I can't buy from a proper shop until I get my mula back!

Thanks
    Saz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I ordered 3 weeks ago and still no sign of my android tablet that cost €340. I was charged straight away. They say theres a backlog of orders because they are so busy. Each email response has a different excuse.

I rang today to request a refund (it was intended as a birthday present yesterday). They said i had to email to get a refund (which I had already) and then said they never received the email and to send again.

Anyone had success getting a refund? How long will it take? I can't buy from a proper shop until I get my mula back!

Thanks
    Saz

If they mess you around just contact your credit card company and tell them the craic. They'll arrange a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sazmeise

Well, they did process my refund via paypal today. phew! Looks like they just take FOREVER to deliver anything. I wouldn't expect they'd have anything in time for Christmas and they deliberately lie about their order and dispatch times. Every time I emailed they couldn't even give an estimation of when it would be dispatched.

Excuses:
    "We are experiencing a higher demand for our services and it is going to take a short moment to process everything. However, please be assured that we are working diligently to clear out our backlog of orders to minimize any further delays.
    We apologise for the unexpected delay."

"In regards to your order, we are currently suffering from backlogs due to influx of sales from our latest promotions and we are doing our best to dispatch all orders as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we are unable to give an estimated dispatch date at the moment. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused."

I wonder has anyone ever gotten something in the time they quote on the site?

I'm off to PC World...

Saz

• Advertisement

sazmeise wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone ever gotten something in the time they quote on the site?

Glad you got your refund, but to answer your question, yes, theres a few threads on here from people including myself that got items on time or close to it.

I bought my 550D on a Thursday evening and it was in m hands the following Thursday morning (7 days). i also ordered a canon 50mm and Nikon d5100 for my mate more recently, and it took 12 days as opposed to the 8 days, but still wasnt too bad as the savings were worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rjkonline

sazmeise wrote: »

Thanks
    Saz

How did u contacted them...

They have only one number .. i canot call them from my mobile....Did u ring from ur Land phone Number

rjkonline wrote: »
    How did u contacted them...

They have only one number .. i canot call them from my mobile....Did u ring from ur Land phone Number

why cant you call them?

They have a landline "01" number, they also have live email chat during business hours, also with every email you send to the standard info @ mail, you get a ticket number so theres a history and backup of emails sent.

Call them on 01-4845943, maybe you need some credit for your phone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

From their website

Product Warranties

All our products come with a 12 months in house warranty, where our in-house facilities are able to process all returns for a quick and efficient all round service. Within 30 days starting the day after receipt of goods, if your goods are faulty we will offer a prompt replacement of the relevant components or if you prefer a full refund. This does not apply to faults caused by accident, neglect or misuse. We must be notified of the fault within 30 days starting the day after receipt of goods and proof of purchase MUST be provided. If your purchase develops a fault after 30 days and within its 12 month guarantee we will arrange to repair and return the product to you free of charge. We are unable to offer a refund after more than 30 days of receipt of purchase. Please note it may take up to 28 working days or longer for repairs to be undertaken, depending on the manufacturer and complexity of the problem (e.g. availability of required parts).

Do not be fooled by the warranty paperwork you get with products bought from SE. If you have a problem with an item just try get it repaired by the manufacturer and you might just hit a brick wall. I did. The company redirected me back to SE and the above on their website. Your warranty is with SE not the manufacturer even though you get what looks like a warranty card when you receive your item it is not worth the paper it is written on. I asked why they won’t repair the product and they told me “to contact SE as they don’t recognize the product and that is all we have to say on the matter.” I than sent it back to SE who told me I broke the lens and they would not repair it or refund me.

They seem to have a lot more faulty than other suppliers and has been suggested all over the net some of their products are not the genuine article.

My advice is stay well away from them if your product works than fine but if you have any trouble (and they have more than their fare share of it) with a product it will cost you.

The last thing I will say is you are dealing Hong Kong company not a UK company so you are not protected by any EU laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thinking of ordering with these guys. What's the above bit about EU laws not applying though?

cormie wrote: »
    Thinking of ordering with these guys. What's the above bit about EU laws not applying though?

your buying from outside the EU, so all local EU consumer rights dont apply. SE have their own return policies etc so not the end of the world IMO.

some people dont like taking the risk of buying online, or others dont understand the online buying consept and dont like it, really is up to you if you want to buy online, wait 10 days for delivery or buy in a bricks and mortor store at home.

another option is www.amazon.co.uk which somes sellers have free postage too.

Thanks for the reply. It's a bit strange, does indicate anywhere noticeable that it's an outer-EU sale, does that mean I could then be hit on import duties even though they are charging me in Euro?

I found a better deal on Ebay anyway from a UK seller, based in UK, with a UK model :)

Thanks for the reply. It's a bit strange, does indicate anywhere noticeable that it's an outer-EU sale, does that mean I could then be hit on import duties even though they are charging me in Euro?

I found a better deal on Ebay anyway from a UK seller, based in UK, with a UK model :)

you will not get hit with import etc, i have bought 3 times from SE and all items are shipped from the UK, with UK manuals etc etc

Cool, thanks! Will see how the Ebay route goes anyway first :) seller has much better feedback than simplyelectronics seem to have here :o

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks! Will see how the Ebay route goes anyway first :) seller has much better feedback than simplyelectronics seem to have here :o

yeah that price looks good!
    350 stg is what.....about 400e give or take? thats a good price including the kit lens, its 429 for the body only in Conns at present.

if you get a body only at a good price, i'll give you my kit lens at a very very good price :D (in my signiture)

Advertisement