Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is blacking up for Halloween Racist?

Options
  • 30-10-2011 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

I'm being told on another forum it is. A mate dressed up as a hilarious Mr T and according to the sickeningly liberal American forumites my mate is basically Hitler!

what say you!

eta mr t outfit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

No way. My brother and his friend went as Venus and Serena Williams last year, and I think everyone appreciated that it was just for the craic. Of course, the tennis balls down their tank tops did help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

No of course not. Just the same way a black person dressing up as a white person isn't racist.

No doubt there's a ton of people out there who think it is racist though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Black Hitler would be a good costume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Well Mr t is black so there be no point turning up white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No, it's not racist. Intent is key.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No it's not racist.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What were the results of this the last two years in a row when the question came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Did a fancy dress before where you were assigned people, so a couple had to turn up as Barrack and Michelle Obama.
    What would you expect them to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, it's not racist. Intent is key.

That's what I'm saying, but try and tell that to a new york times reading yank...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

RichieC wrote: »
    I'm being told on another forum it is. A mate dressed up as a hilarious Mr T and according to the sickeningly liberal American forumites my mate is basically Hitler!

what say you!

If Robert Downey Jr can do it, then it's good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

RichieC wrote: »

what say you!

Don't let liberals get you down. They are the ones who should be pitied. I feel quite sorry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Siuin wrote: »
    No way. My brother and his friend went as Venus and Serena Williams last year, and I think everyone appreciated that it was just for the craic. Of course, the tennis balls down their tank tops did help.

Just confirmed what I always suspected:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anything goes on Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It depends really - it's not racist to go as African American. However it is racist to go as African African!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

I pity the fool......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

How is it Racist? To portray a black person you need to be.... black.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

There's an Asian guy that dresses up as a leprechaun in Temple Bar and on Grafton St. That's not racist is it?

It's not racist.

But I do think it's distasteful in that it's the kind of thing that isn't worth the chance of upsetting someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Saw this on someone's Facebook last week.

http://3432-philly.voxcdn.com/files/2011/10/not-a-costume-its-a-culture.jpg

But Mr T is always the best costume every year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Play it safe and go as a black guy dressed as a white guy dressing as Mr. T

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Black face can be very tastefully done like lethal weapon five.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Clare Bear wrote: »

retarded campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I tell you, this world is getting more mad by the minute. You cant say or do anything without some poxy wa*ker getting "offended"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Clare Bear wrote: »

they linked me to this on that site like I give a christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I find it to be extremely racist since people rely on stereotypes in order to make their characters. It is just buffoonery and it is insulting to me as I don't have the option of washing away my brown skin at the end of the night yet you think it is funny to laugh at the darkness of my skin, the coarseness of my hair, the color of my lips?

In the States, there were was a period of time when Minstrel Shows were incredibly popular. A minstrel show featured White actors who would paint their skin black, color their lips red or white, and then shuffle onto stage with the purpose of mocking Black people. They would portray Blacks as being lazy, incredibly joyful individuals, who would rather rape, sing, or dance than to make an honest living or support their families. At the same time these minstrel shows were popular, the Klan was terrorizing Black communities, Blacks could not exercise their right to vote, and they could not even enter these theaters where these Minstrel Shows were being shown.

It is about White privilege. It is about appropriating a historically oppressed community for the purpose of mockery and entertainment. It says that my culture and our legacy is up for sale and can be easily manipulated for the needs of an audience.

I had a similiar conversation with friends. This eventually came to me wondering how Irish people feel about Americans dressing up as drunken Irish people for Halloween. I asked a few Irish people how they would feel and they said it would be a great laugh. Of course, some of you may see differently, and I'd like to know, but it appears to just be a cultural difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

It does seem things like this is getting more and more anti PC in some opinions. We had a dress up party for Fourth of July in one of our tag league socials this summer and our Captain wore an Obama mask and blacked up his hands. The black guy on our team thought it was hilarious. We asked him why he didn't dress up and he said he had come as Will Smith.

It was all in good fun and there was no harm done. IMO it's the people who have a problem with it that are themselves being narrow minded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I find it to be extremely racist since people rely on stereotypes in order to make their characters. It is just buffoonery and it is insulting to me as I don't have the option of washing away my brown skin at the end of the night yet you think it is funny to laugh at the darkness of my skin, the coarseness of my hair, the color of my lips?

In the States, there were was a period of time when Minstrel Shows were incredibly popular. A minstrel show featured White actors who would paint their skin black, color their lips red or white, and then shuffle onto stage with the purpose of mocking Black people. They would portray Blacks as being lazy, incredibly joyful individuals, who would rather rape, sing, or dance than to make an honest living or support their families. At the same time these minstrel shows were popular, the Klan was terrorizing Black communities, Blacks could not exercise their right to vote, and they could not even enter these theaters where these Minstrel Shows were being shown.
    I think you're being a little bit extreme. In the examples you state there was an attempt by unenlightened people to use stereotypes to blatantly offend a particular race. People dressing as black characters for Halloween is not done out of malice or in order to resurrect a period of oppression. Nobody is dressing as a lazy/raping/singing/dancing black.
    It is about White privilege. It is about appropriating a historically oppressed community for the purpose of mockery and entertainment. It says that my culture and our legacy is up for sale and can be easily manipulated for the needs of an audience.
    Who are you to second guess peoples motives? If I choose to dress as Snoop Dog because he's my favourite artist who are you to say I'm doing it to mock the black race for the purposes of entertainment?

The only person here empowering stereotype from my point of view my friend is you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement